Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 1Password

1Password
jretzner
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2020, 07:42 PM

When installing 1Password on an iMac with OS 10.14.6 does one need to, one-at-time, enter the current password and then allow 1Password to generate a new password, or, does 1Password do this automatically (I can't fathom how which is why I ask)? Thanks

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2020, 08:06 PM

I'm not sure I follow.

Do you mean the machine user password, to allow you to install software? I wouldn't use 1password to change that.
You do need to make sure you have your hash location set up (icloud, dropbox etc) for 1password to sync to and it will bring all your passwords in. Or is this a completely new install?

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2020, 11:36 PM

I want to make a new (never used before) 1Password on my iMac. I don't need to change the password to launch my OS. I'm wondering if I will need a one-time marathon session of changing each password for each account/application or, will the need to do so occur the first time I need to insert a password to launch an account (e.g. my username and password for nnforums) after installing 1Password. The concern holding me back is the "one-time-marathon-session).

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2020, 11:29 AM

you don't need to change any password to use 1password, unless you want the supersecure $%^&*(lkq2*&291 type of password. If you are logged in (via browser extension) and then log into an account, it will ask if you want to save it. Check and make sure it put everything in the correct field, enter NNForums as the name, and that's it. Next time you need to log into NN, click into the login username field, log into the browser extension and it should pop up with NNForums and autofill.

I use the browser extension 90% of the time, then the ios app.

If you want to use social security numbers or other secure info types, enter those manually.

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2020, 04:32 PM

Thanks for dispelling my confusion

Forum Links
Forum Rules