Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Deinterlacing video, displaying it on a TV

Deinterlacing video, displaying it on a TV
Beewee
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 06:18 PM

Anyone know a good deinteracing program for OS X that won't affect the format or container of the media? The idea is to export MPEG-2 video to deinterlaced DV format for FCP. (I don't want to have to render the video.)

Also what are the appropriate dimensions for displaying video on a TV and does processing it through iDVD affect it?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 06:45 PM

you could always de-interlace in FCP and then import the render files as your video.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:
Anyone know a good deinteracing program for OS X that won't affect the format or container of the media? The idea is to export MPEG-2 video to deinterlaced DV format for FCP. (I don't want to have to render the video.)

Also what are the appropriate dimensions for displaying video on a TV and does processing it through iDVD affect it?
Cleaner has about the best deinterlacing I've used, not that I've used them all. I hear the deinterlacing with the Magic Bullet plugs in AE is good, but I can't afford 'em. Heard that they were going to releas FCP plugs for $300 though. Don't quote me on that.

The best free deinterlacing I've used is when playing back from VLC. It allows you to blend the fields, rather than drop one. That said, you could do a composite in FCP of the 2 fields, bring down the opacity of the top track to blend it.

Standard TVs are 4:3 aspect ratio. DV is 780x420px, which is closer I think to 3:2. At anyrate, if the mpeg your working with is already DVD resolution you should be close to that.

This is all just from the top of my head and things could be wrong. Fell free to correct me.

Beewee  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 08:01 PM

I have used FCP deinterlace effect but haven't gotten very good results. Cleaner sounds interesting, I here it is quite the video compression program. Thanks to all who posted.

brianb
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 06:02 PM

The correct dimmensions for D1 NTSC video is 720x486 Now DV video is 720x480. So if you are dealing with Final cut on a DV only basis use 720x480.

1 question though. Why would you deinterlace video that will be played back on an interlaced TV screen?

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by brianb:

1 question though. Why would you deinterlace video that will be played back on an interlaced TV screen?
Different outputs? My stuff ends up on TV, LCD, etc. Lately, I haven't even been interested in doing stuff for TV. Been using the web lately. I've pretty much come the conclusion though that I want a progressive scan camera.

brianb
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 08:29 PM

well I work for a company that sells Profesional Camera Gear and Yea I can say that I would really Love that also. But I find the pricetag for a good one very hard to justify though. Although the Panasonic 900 cam or the Panasonic varicam are great progressive cameras

Forum Links
Forum Rules