Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you celebrate Christmas this year?

Will you celebrate Christmas this year?
ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 01:42 PM

Do you celebrate Christmas? If you do, are you doing anything different or out of the ordinary this year?

My wife and I usually celebrate every year, but we're playing it low-key this time around. We're going to have some family over and will be getting together with friends around the holidays, but have decided to send cards instead of presents because of the economy.

We will have a tree, but decided to just get each other a few small gifts to put under it.

I'm still looking forward to it because I get some time off of work to spend with friends and family.

What do you have planned?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 6, 2002, 01:46 PM

Me and Cheryl are going to go down to the local pound and volunteer our time. We did it last year, was depressing, but I felt it helped.

Vanquish
Dec 6, 2002, 01:49 PM

Plans: nothing special maybe going over to familiy in the south of france. Don't know yet. I always make those decisions last minute .

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 6, 2002, 01:49 PM

i go to my brother's, down south. we both completely hate religion, so we just get totally wasted and have an Anti-Xmas.

BAH, HUMBUG
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 01:57 PM

I celebrate christmas. This christmas will be the first christmas I spend away from my parents (I moved out from them, to another country in fact, a long time ago but I always came home for christmas). I feel kinda depressed about it, but it was my decision. I will be finishing exams unusually late (21st dec) and I just can't cope with the added stress of getting from Iceland to Norway on the 22nd or 23rd. I will be exhausted after the final exam so 22nd is really out of the question anyway. Leaving me with a window of one day to haul ass over to Norway. No thanks!

I'll stay with my grandparents here in Rekjav�k instead. It will be interesting, I haven't spent christmas with them since I was a kid. I love christmas!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 01:58 PM

We're staying with my parents until boxing day. My dad, in his old age, has become a bit of a wine buff and accumulated a sizeable cellar. My mum is a generous soul and doesn't mind us exploring whats available, much to his despair at times. They both love cooking so food will be good.

We tried to get them to celebrate in our home this year but they weren't having any of that. In Germany people traditionally exchange presents on the 24th, Christmas eve. As the family is mixed British/German we alternate between Christmas morning and the German tradition. This year it's on Christmas morning which I am hugely looking forward to as my mother, who claims that she never could get used to that tradition, turns into a 5 year old again, complete with getting up at five in the morning and everything. Excellent.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 02:17 PM

we're going to try christmas around here, if my dog doesn't eat it first.

though the best part is that christmas eve were haviong the big meal and its not going to be turkey or ham, and then christmas just gonna eat snack foods and leftovers that don't require much effort. best of all for the first time in like 10 years or so we are finalling going to be able to stay home, and not have to go visit any relatives or anything. they can come to us for once. that is gonna be nice

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 04:37 PM

Celebrate is not the word I would choose, endure is closer to it.

At least the old people will be bugging Helen instead of me. They can change the poopy diapers, I'll be elsewhere hiding out from everyone.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 05:31 PM

probably not. trying to avoid it as far as i can ..
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 6, 2002, 05:32 PM

nope, and not just because I'm jewish.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
...the south of france...
This is off topic. But why is southern France always referred to as "the south of France"? Why not southern France? You're not the only person I've heard say that.

I am from the south of Oklahoma.

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 05:59 PM

Plans: I expect to be very bored on Christmas, as usual. OTOH, I'll be glad that the malls and traffic will be going back to normal as I'll be able to get a decent lunch again.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
though the best part is that christmas eve were haviong the big meal and its not going to be turkey or ham,
Are you going to cook your goose?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 6, 2002, 06:46 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jun 4, 2004 at 08:33 PM. )

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 6, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by denim:
ahh, that's another reason i stay at my brother's: we're both vegetarian, and Xmas is just a meat-fest for most people. i don't need to be a part of that, neither does he, so we have a beer-fest instead

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by denim:
no most likley roast beef or london broil... my father ( the cook) is tired of doing turkwy and ham, and i like neither served in the contemporary holiday form. i only eat them in thin sliced deli sandwich style

but steak on the other hand

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
ahh, that's another reason i stay at my brother's: we're both vegetarian, and Xmas is just a meat-fest for most people. i don't need to be a part of that, neither does he, so we have a beer-fest instead
Good answer. I read a short story called "User Friendly" in a book by the same name by Spider Robinson a few months ago, and it's got me headed that way. There's no such thing as perfection, but one can do what one can.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 08:11 PM

Drink 12 glasses of water to wake up early (mom took away the alarm clocks) and then get up at 6 AM to go play with the new toys before anyone else is up.

But I have a feeling something will go wrong... such as when I start playing with my fire truck it will start all the presents and tree on fire. But thats alright, the community will come together because they thought it was a robbery and we raise enough money to go and buy a car.

To be continued.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 08:29 PM

LOL

I heard that one in a book before!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 08:32 PM

But... but... beer is made from little puppy dogs.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 6, 2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

But... but... beer is made from little puppy dogs.
you're getting your pets and countries mixed up. it's: american beer tastes of cat piss

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 08:50 PM

yeah. With the family. We eat Ribs. It is good
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

mchladek
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 10:21 PM

Our family used to do a Christmas vacation (like skiing in Colorado, Scuba diving in Mexico, etc.) but now that my brother and I are out of the house starting our own lives; it's more of a hassle trying to plan out a trip with the old folks. Now we usually just have a family get together with a few aunts, uncles, and cousins. It's a pretty fun time (a lot better than a Christmas vacation, IMHO) and I really like hanging out with my relatives which is a big plus

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2002, 02:40 AM

I won't be celebrating but my family will force me to at least be there. They'll probably end up giving me stuff too even though I always tell them I don't want anything, or more specifically that I want them to not give me anything. Aparently they feel bad complying with my so blatently non-materialistic wishes...

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Drink 12 glasses of water to wake up early (mom took away the alarm clocks) and then get up at 6 AM to go play with the new toys before anyone else is up.

But I have a feeling something will go wrong... such as when I start playing with my fire truck it will start all the presents and tree on fire. But thats alright, the community will come together because they thought it was a robbery and we raise enough money to go and buy a car.

To be continued.
DOH!

BART!

Why you little.....!!!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 09:35 AM

i am going to go to work on christmas

just. like. last. year.

-r.

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 02:35 PM

you're getting your pets and countries mixed up. it's: american beer tastes of cat piss
� and you know this from personal experience?
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 03:00 PM

As always, my siblings and I will go visit the folks for a few days. Not too exciting, though, in large part because they're aren't any little kids in our family right now. Kids opening presents is a big part of what makes Christmas fun.

Inevitably, my relations will try to compensate for this lack of human children by purchasing and carefully wrapping numerous Christmas presents for the family dogs. A frenzied madhouse of giftwrap-shredding by the canines will then take place on Christmas morning, naturally followed by a dramatic dogfight or two. Relatives can be so embarassing at times ...

valeriam01
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2002, 03:09 PM

I think this yr. we're not getting together with the WHOLE family, though I'm sure we'll see them at some pt. during the holidays. I'm just hoping we can get a tree up in the 5 days between flying home and x-mas. and then we can roast marshmellows over toxic flames again later in the holidays....hahahaa

Vanquish
Dec 7, 2002, 03:12 PM

By Kitschy:
This is off topic. But why is southern France always referred to as "the south of France"? Why not southern France? You're not the only person I've heard say that.

I am from the south of Oklahoma.
Well, I think it's because the french say "Le sud" = "the south" and they leave "de la france" away (=of france).
Also in dutch we say "het zuiden van frankrijk" = "the south of france".In dutch we can say "zuid-Frankrijk" = "southeren france" but in french it can't be translated that way.

And since I'm 1/2 Belgian (dutch-speaking and 1/2 French it makes sense that I call it "The south of France", I think.

I think it's just an error that occurs when translating litteraly.

I hope this is a good explenation

(Maybe there is some totally different reason but that's the reason I could come up with)

Forum Links
Forum Rules