Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CPU load graphing app idea

CPU load graphing app idea
WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 10:34 PM

Something I would like to see is a program (preferably daemon) that would periodically generate a graph of the cpu load. This image could be saved to the Sites directory and allow the CPU load to be viewed on the web.

It has no real value that I can think of but it is just something that I though would be cool. Ideally it would be cross platform so I could run it on my FreeBSD server as well. Perhaps one of the scripting languages (perl, python...) could do it. I'd look into doing it myself but I just don't have time at the moment.

Here's a shot of Cycles running in my dock. This is the kind of graph I'm thinking of except bigger and perhaps with some scale information.

WM

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
Something I would like to see is a program (preferably daemon) that would periodically generate a graph of the cpu load. This image could be saved to the Sites directory and allow the CPU load to be viewed on the web.

It has no real value that I can think of but it is just something that I though would be cool. Ideally it would be cross platform so I could run it on my FreeBSD server as well. Perhaps one of the scripting languages (perl, python...) could do it. I'd look into doing it myself but I just don't have time at the moment.

Here's a shot of Cycles running in my dock. This is the kind of graph I'm thinking of except bigger and perhaps with some scale information.

WM
Have you looked at MRTG? Multi-Router Traffic Graph (MRTG) queries the snmp daemon for bandwidth stats but it can also do CPU load. Then you set a cron script to run MRTG which creates an HTML document with .png images graphing the results.

I've only use MRTG with bandwidth, but I know it works with CPU load... MRTG is cross platform, well for *nix at least, so it should run on FreeBSD.

Here is the MRTG site where you can find more details: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 10:01 PM

Yeah I did see that but it looked like a lot of work for what I wanted. However it is clearly very powerful. I guess that's the path I'll have to take then.

WM

Forum Links
Forum Rules