Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > From a 333Mhz Compaq to a Dual 1.4Ghz PowerMac; or, I Love This Job

From a 333Mhz Compaq to a Dual 1.4Ghz PowerMac; or, I Love This Job
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 02:13 PM

I am currently enjoying my first full day on my new PowerMac dualie. In one fell swoop, I went from the slowest PC in my office (Compaq Deskpro 6000, 333Mhz PII�couldn't even play a CD without it skipping) to the fastest.

My boss and I had been campaigning to get me on a Mac for at least a year now. The department head -- a great guy otherwise -- insisted that copywriters, of which I am one, need to stay on PCs. We were unable to budge him from this position. (My boss is old-fashioned, in that he believes people should be permitted to work on the equipment that makes them most productive, not on what some other department dictates.)

Two things then happened: the dept. head was promoted, and I was asked to start learning DV and multimedia creation. I was allowed to basically write my own ticket re: equipment, and the first item on my list was, of course, a PowerMac, followed immediately by a 23" Cinema Display.

The stuff was finally delivered and installed Friday, and I've spent the morning loading all my software and goodies. Damn, it's nice to be able to work on a machine like this. It's wicked fast and the screen is gorgeous.

Anyway, replies aren't necessary�I just had to tell someone, and if not you guys, then who?

(Actually, I have one question: does anyone know of a site, other than MacDesktops, that specializes in jumbo Cinema Display-ratio desktop pictures?)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 02:27 PM

drool.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 02:28 PM

Congrats--now you'll need a fast Mac at home, or you'll tend to stay @ work longer--believe me...
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 02:29 PM

Man that's sweet.. but why didn't you get a G5?

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Man that's sweet.. but why didn't you get a G5?
With corporate buying, once the expenditure is approved, the order gets placed: whatever's at the high end that day, that's what I get. I'm just happy there were still some 1.4s in the channel. Besides, I can't really afford to wait 'til October to get my machine (shipping delays + IT setup delays).
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 03:30 PM

Yeah that's cool either way, good luck with it, it's a killer setup

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 03:36 PM

w00t! Good for you!

So glad to hear a little bit of corporate sucess
Aloha

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 03:43 PM

I have a 1.42 dual. LOVE IT..

Its awesome and will server you well for years.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 04:31 PM

VERY SWEET! I'm anxiously awaiting my Dual 1.25Ghz machine!

As for the desktops, yep, try these:

www.mandolux.com

www.digitalblasphemy.com
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 04:43 PM

Moving from a Ford Pinto to an Audi S4 is a day-or-night changes.. just like your new dualie.

I know the PII is a dog, my dad uses the "old-school" PII/266 with Win98 on it, it won't play music CD w/o skipping.. (dame right)

My DP 1.25 is very nice.

Good to hear you your dept. allows to make a purchase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules