Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AI arrived today, broken latch, pixel is dead and a white spot!

15" AI arrived today, broken latch, pixel is dead and a white spot!
meetingpeopleiseasy
Oct 10, 2003, 12:07 AM

Well today I recieved my new powerbook(1.25, 80gig, downgraded to the combo drive). Besides the fact that Airborne express had a broken tracking number for me, until today, the day I got the machine, not much tracking was done. That was cool.

So I opened it up, stared in awe, and thought please let this thing be flawless. I'm a Tibook owner and was hoping for a nice, smooth upgrade. Nope.

The machine has one dead white/grey pixel. I understand this is normal, so I won't complain too much about it.
Also, one white spot, and the latch doesn't work, so the unit will never stay closed. Fun!

So tech support was closed by the time I got home from work and figured this all out. I hope to god they declare this unit DOA because of the 3 problems and issue me a refund. I'll take that money and buy a G5, which I use at work with no problems.

What do you guys think? Will a return be easy? I've used a mac for almost 20 years, I was raised on one, but these new AI books seemed to be pretty flawed which is just unacceptable to me. They should be leaving the factory better not worse!
http://www.december9.net

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 12:13 AM

Seems like you have a pretty good case to get it repaired, if not replaced. Since all of those are documented problems, I'm sure they will have you just send it back.

As far as the G5, it depends on how much you want portability. If portability didn't really matter to you, go for the G5. If you need to travel with you PB, get another PB.

I have a 1.25 15PB BTO and it is great. No problems. Hopefully, Apple will fix you right up!

-b

meetingpeopleiseasy  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 12:16 AM

thanks applejack-
I did love my old powerbook but, i'm honestly scared of these new ones! I also just discovered my F-row won't light up and that goes for the arrow keys also. I guess I got a lemon. Hopefully they will let me get a refund.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 12:18 AM

I think these problems rest solely with the new 15-inchers, as I haven't seen the prominence in issues with either the new 12- or 17-inch models.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 12:19 AM

I would return it and exchange it for a new one.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
I think these problems rest solely with the new 15-inchers, as I haven't seen the prominence in issues with either the new 12- or 17-inch models.
Yeah, I think you're right. So far it seems that it's happening much more with only the 15" Aluminum PowerBooks.

meetingpeopleiseasy  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 01:02 PM

So it took a few phone calls and explanations mainly about the non-working latch, dead pixels(1 white, 3 grey), and the faint "white spot". I guess they figured all of these issues right out of the box were enough for a refund. I did not want a repair, not for this revision. I proceeded to order a 1.8 ghz stock G5 which should be a nice machine. Hopefully others have better luck then I did, I am an apple advocate but this experience was a little hard to swallow.

mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by meetingpeopleiseasy:
I also just discovered my F-row won't light up and that goes for the arrow keys also. I guess I got a lemon. Hopefully they will let me get a refund.
Hey meetingpeople,

Actually, that is how the backlighting works. I thought mine was defective too, as the backlit keyboard only really hit the letter and number rows. The function keys were barely lit, and the arrow keys were not lit at all. I was bummed - seems like for the money they would have run enough light to cover the whole thing. I tested this within the Apple store - same on all of them. Did not test the backlighting on the 17" - I assume it is the same poor quality.

I have had multiple problems with Powerbooks - since I bought my first one 8 weeks ago, I have had one switched out due to a logic board crash, and the replacement has been to Apple Care three times due to a keyboard with too much flex in it and the white spots.

I feel so horrible that I spent so much money on this, and all it has brought me is frustration. If portability wasn't such a factor, I would have definitely gone for the G4 with 20" screen.

Good luck!

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules