Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving the Dock

Moving the Dock
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 03:19 PM

i have done a search and still coming up with nothing so i'm hoping someone can help me out here ... my problem is the dock, specifically, the color of the dock. I have a horrible time noticing when an alert is displayed in the dock. For example, when i'm using aol instant messenger ( i know i should just use ichat, but lets put that aside for now) there is a green bubble that appears next to the icon to indicate a new message has been received. I have the sound alert off because I find it annoying when I am listening to music to have this "ding" go off, and if i'm not listening to music the speakers are off anyways. I know there was a way to go into the dock via OS 9 and change the colors of it. I believe they were .pdf files and just needed to be replaced with other .pdf files. Anyone remember the rest of the steps and where these .pdf files are located?
Similar to this ResExcellence Edit , but with different colors.

Edit: It took a little more digging, but I found it on ResExcellence. But my second question remains a mystery to me ...

I also want to know how to move the dock to the left or right side on the bottom, so its not center-aligned. I've seen it done but have no clue how to do it.

Thank you
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 03:30 PM

get TinkerTool - it lets you move the dock to the top or bottom, and it is free.

then get Clear Dock , also free....it lets you make the dock any color you like (or transparent)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
get TinkerTool - it lets you move the dock to the top or bottom, and it is free.

then get Clear Dock , also free....it lets you make the dock any color you like (or transparent)
awesome, thank you very much.

edit: is cleardock compatible with Panther? It isn't working. They claim it is, maybe its my machine?
( Last edited by Proudest Monkey; Feb 12, 2004 at 05:29 PM. )

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
awesome, thank you very much.

edit: is cleardock compatible with Panther? It isn't working.
i use cleardock, and my panther install was a fresh one. therefore it must work, somehow.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
i use cleardock, and my panther install was a fresh one. therefore it must work, somehow.
Just had to restart for some reason ... works perfectly now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules