Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac will not boot after Freeze

Mac will not boot after Freeze
meetingpeopleiseasy
May 2, 2004, 06:08 AM

So tonight, Safari crashes, hard, no mouse, cursor dissapears can't force quit, nothing. I hold down the power button for 5 seconds and shut the machine down. Then I go to restart it, no chime, no flashing lights, black screen. Help!
I removed RAM, reset the PMU once, tried to start up off AHT CD, no luck. Haven't messed with the reseating of the video card yet, don't know how to do that. Should I take it to the my local Mac Genius tomorrow morning at the Apple store??? What do I do? I read every topic on here, this is the first time this has happened to my machine.

I hour later: I just removed my video card and reseated it. No luck. Arghhhh!!!
http://www.december9.net

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 06:50 PM

Sounds like your mobo is dead .

meetingpeopleiseasy  (op)
May 2, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by swichd:
Sounds like your mobo is dead .
Does that mean Mother Board?

I spent about 1 hour at the Apple Store at the Grove with a really nice tech at the Genious Bar. He went through all the tests and actually got my machine to start up and do the Apple Hardware test. That was going fine until the machine froze on the Logic Board section of the test. So they decided to take my computer in and replace the video card(nvidia geforce fx5200u) and/or the logic board. I paid the $99 bucks and got the ProCare card for faster service, since this won't cost a dime to me due to it being under warranty. Time is an issue though so i wanted the machine looked at and back ASAP. I'll let you know what happens!!!
http://www.december9.net

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by meetingpeopleiseasy:
Does that mean Mother Board?

I spent about 1 hour at the Apple Store at the Grove with a really nice tech at the Genious Bar. He went through all the tests and actually got my machine to start up and do the Apple Hardware test. That was going fine until the machine froze on the Logic Board section of the test. So they decided to take my computer in and replace the video card(nvidia geforce fx5200u) and/or the logic board. I paid the $99 bucks and got the ProCare card for faster service, since this won't cost a dime to me due to it being under warranty. Time is an issue though so i wanted the machine looked at and back ASAP. I'll let you know what happens!!!
Yes, mobo is nerdspeek for motherboard (aka logic board). It sounds like yours is bad from what you said. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules