Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Repair MPEG file

Repair MPEG file
absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:33 AM

What can I use to repair a damaged/poorly encoded MPEG file? I play the file in Quicktime, and it can only see about 1/3 of the video, then ends (actually, it jumps to the last few frames). I watch it in VLC, but at about 2/3rds of the way through it stops the video on one frame, but the audio continues to the end. On Windows the Windows Media Player plays all the way through without a hitch.

Also, if I skip the video ahead a few seconds in VLC at about the 2/3rds mark it will finish up fine.

It sounds like there is mismatching encoding information, or maybe some bad frames. Is there software to correct this? I would use QT to reencode the file, but it can't see the whole thing.

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 12:54 PM

You could try to demux and remux it. That might "straighten out" the frames. BBdemux (free) will demux it. MPEG2works (name? shareware?) will do both.

absmiths  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by cnelson87:
You could try to demux and remux it. That might "straighten out" the frames. BBdemux (free) will demux it. MPEG2works (name? shareware?) will do both.
I will try that. Is 'muxing' where the streams are interleaved?

absmiths  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 11:32 AM

MPEG2Works doesn't seem to be available anymore, so I demuxed the video with bbdemux, then had to import the video into iMovie and the audio into iTunes and rename the audio track to whatever.mp3. From there I was able to add the audio track from iTunes to iMovie (for some reason it wouldn't take it directly) and share the movie into an mpeg4 file.

Quite a hassle, but worked nonetheless. I tried every mpeg app available on versiontracker and most were Quicktime based and obviously didn't help, the others just got weird errors.

Thanks for the help.
( Last edited by absmiths; Jul 17, 2004 at 11:44 AM. )

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 02:49 PM

Chances are it's the result of a bad split and recombine. I've had a similar MPEG sitting on my drive for over a year, and haven't got it properly fixed yet.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 01:34 PM

Back in os 9 days there was something called Rosetta that, among other things, would fix improperly combined mpegs. I'm pretty sure there's an os X version too.
I didn't know about MPEG2Works not being available anymore. They had another app called mpeg2qt (something like that...) that just only converted mpeg to Quicktime, with audio. Pretty handy.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 07:14 PM

Don't know why you thought MPEG2Works was unavailable. Quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.ambijent.co.yu/ambijent/m...rks/index.html

There's a downloads link at the top.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules