Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dance Dance Revolution

Dance Dance Revolution
ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 12:05 AM

I would usually be the last person on earth to try a video game that involves dancing. I've always seen the machines at the arcade, but never wanted to get on one. It just never occured to me as a reasonable thing to do.

Anyway, I was at Toys-R-Us with my wife tonight looking for something fun to play this weekend. We went in looking for a board game, but ended up in the video game section. She discovered the dance pads, asked what they were for, one thing led to another and two hours later we're taking turns stomping away in my living room to some catchy euro-dance tune.

DDR is the best gaming surprise I've had in a long time. Its difficult on the harder levels and great exercise, but more importantly its a lot of fun to play.

Anyone else here into this game? I'm playing on a cheap $10 pad right now, are the more expensive pads worthwhile?

TimeOnMyHands
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2004, 12:11 AM

I bought the game for my daughter's 11th birthday present, along with the fancy foam bottomed dance pad. My wife plays it more than my daughter.

It is fun, but I'll only play it when I'm home alone.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:24 AM

Reminds me of that episode of malcolm in the middle...

Cipher13
Oct 17, 2004, 01:17 AM

I prefer to sit back and let the girls play. o_O

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Where and how the hell you been anyway, dude? Besides watching hot Asian chicks play DDR, I mean.

Anyway, Dance Dance Revolution looks interesting. I've seen people playing it in the arcade many times�the damn thing always had a line, always had kids going nuts on it. I was too afraid to make an ass of myself and try it out.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 01:35 AM

DDR is amazing.

People get really into it.

You can actually hook up one of those USB dance pads to your Mac and use StepMania (openSource) to play DDR on your Mac.

Hellllll yeah.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
duh

Scifience
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 10:29 AM

I play it all the time. I have Ultramix for XBOX, MAX2 for PS2, and Extreme for PS2. I bought an RedOctane Ignition pad for $125 - it is made with hard foam and has raised buttons. It really helps.

If you haven't tried it yet, you really should. If you're worried about making an ass out of yourself - don't. Everyone, even the best DDR player, makes an ass out of themselves when they play.

Forum Links
Forum Rules