Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > the mouse battle

the mouse battle
samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2001, 03:44 AM

hey i was wondering if u guys could give me your opinion on the best optical mouse out right now i am thinking between logitech, microsoft, apple pro, the macally ioptic, or the macally micromouse that is coming out soon...

thanks for the help

VRL
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 04:23 AM

Apple Pro.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

neoTony
Nov 30, 2001, 05:09 AM

I've got a Logitech Optical Cordless, and it's fantastic, but if you can get one of the newer corded dual-optical mice, you'd be much better off (goto http://www.insidemacgames.com/ and click on hardware for a review of the logitech version of the mouse I'm talking about). People will recommend razor boomslangs, but honestly, why would you even bother with a balled mouse anymore? Optical mice are fantastic

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2001, 07:24 PM

I use the microsoft intellimouse (optical). I've been using it for 1,5 years and now I have a problem with the left button. When I click on it, it clicks twice. But I almost fixed it by tuning the click parameter in the mouse pannel (Mac OS 10.1). But I am not able to use the 3rd and 4th buttons on the side of the mouse under OS 10. too bad it was so conveniant when surfing on the web.

My recommendation is : choose a mouse with a wheel and at least 2 buttons. I was against 2 buttons mice until I used one. It is so easy !
S k y p a t

Naplander
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 07:42 PM

I tried the Kensington mouse-in-a-box optical pro , but personally didn't really like it. I found the mouse to be very heavy and the shape makes it difficult to "pick up".

It's a shame really, because Kensington have excellent software support, with OS X support for their mice. this mouse has four buttons, but I just couldn't get on with the ergonomics.

Time for apple to make another mouse, think about it - they could sell a sexy two button mouse with scroll wheel to ALL computer users.

They could so easily offer it as an option at purchase, and still allow them to remain on their outdated - and slightly arrogant - "one button" strategy.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2001, 10:25 PM

Apple Pro. (obviously)

or

Kensington (I have the optical , 2 button, scroll, $21.)

(i have the apple pro at work)

meetingpeopleiseasy
Dec 1, 2001, 04:21 AM

Macally iOptinet!
I love this mouse, it feels excellent and has two buttons and a scroll wheel.
http://www.december9.net

Mack
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2001, 05:09 AM

I'm happy with the Logitech cordless optical. It's not fully functional in OS X, though (only the top two buttons and scroll wheel work). But it feels and works great.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2001, 01:09 PM

I've tried the Apple Pro( i feel they put form above function), the Kensington( seemed kind of heavy), and Microsoft intellimouse( over complicated). Somehow, I was allways aware of them being in my hand. I felt like I was allways making allowances for the shape, botton position etc. I eventually got a Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (the dark blue one) I really like it, I don't ever think about it, I just use it. Which is how it should be.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2001, 05:54 PM

I eventually got a Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (the dark blue one) I really like it, I don't ever think about it, I just use it. Which is how it should be.
I've got one of the blue Logitech Optical's too. It's easily the best mouse I've ever used. Not too complicated, but also not just with one button. Great mouse.

Mack
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2001, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MrBenn:
<STRONG>I eventually got a Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (the dark blue one) I really like it, I don't ever think about it, I just use it. Which is how it should be.</STRONG>
Excellent description. I hadn't thought of it that way, I guess because I don't ever think about it either, but I also don't ever think about it. Good thought.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 02:38 PM

Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box optical pro.

Burn
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2001, 09:50 PM

Blue Logitech MouseMan Wheel,

I love their mieces to pieces.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Burn ]

Pauline
Dec 7, 2001, 10:36 PM

Logitech Cordless Trackman FX. Once you use the trackball for a couple of hours you won't go back to a normal mouse. Also has a nifty removable wrist rest which is nice and comfy.
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 11:33 PM

M$ Optical Intellimouse. I've been using mine for a year, and, as much as I dislike M$, I have to give them credit where it's due. I use an Apple Pro at work because I'm stuck with it, but it's too tiny for my hand. The M$ mouse fits perfectly. If you're into trackballs, the Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel is also a good fit; I have one of those hooked up also.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2001, 04:26 PM

Without a doubt... get a Logitec mouse. I have the dark blue optical wheelman mouse like many in here. I'm hoping I will get the newer $40 cordless mouse from Santa this Christmas . Here is Logitech's web page listing all of there mice The one I want is the topmost blue/gray mouse.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2001, 11:28 AM

I just got the Logitech Optical with the dual LEDs. I don't know if the tracking is that much more precise, but it's larger than my old one and fits my hand better. I've been very pleased with Logitech.

glennmac
Dec 9, 2001, 01:34 PM

I just got my first optical mouse, a Kensington optical Pocketmouse. I chose it for two distinguishing features. First, it has a retracting cord. The cord pulls out to various lengths. At maximum length it is fairly short. This is great for me, a notebook user. A door on the side opens up where you can store the usb plug entirely. Great for tangleless travel. Second, Kensington is the only mouse manufacturer that currently has OS X support (via download). You can program the left button, the right button, chording both buttons, and clicking the scroll wheel. You can also program cursor speed and scroll wheel speed. Very simple. The size of the mouse is smaller than average but not super miniature. All in all, great for notebook users who travel somethimes. The optical mechanism works great; goodbye ball mechanisms forever.

glennmac
Dec 9, 2001, 01:37 PM

Also, goodbye one-button mice forever. The contextual menu and scroll wheel become addictive and essential within minutes.

Kestral
Senior User
Dec 9, 2001, 01:49 PM

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical - love the extra buttons on the side for web surfing under OS 9 (hope at some point drivers come out for use with OS X). Scroll whell and right button is also indispensable. Only a Mac apologist would suggest the Apple "solution".

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2001, 03:21 PM

Intellimouse Explorer - I hate using single button mice anymore.

According to a M$ engineer at MacBU I talked to on Friday, OS X driver will be out next week. Hope he's right and it's not more MS-BS.

Z

ebow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2001, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
According to a M$ engineer at MacBU I talked to on Friday, OS X driver will be out next week. Hope he's right and it's not more MS-BS.
[/QB]
Anyone have any news on OS X drivers for M$ mice? I just got the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer as a gift. I won't be able to try it on my Mac until next week, but I'd love to hear that the buttons and wheels are now well-supported.

ebow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2001, 01:40 AM

Oh, I found a (partial) answer over in another thread: M$'s OS X support 4 Intellimouse Explorer Soonish, it seems. &lt;fingers crossed&gt;

Cipher13
Dec 24, 2001, 02:30 AM

Apple Pro.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2001, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
<STRONG>According to a M$ engineer at MacBU I talked to on Friday, OS X driver will be out next week</STRONG>
You said that last week

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2001, 10:30 PM

what's the best small mouse? i'm looking for one to carry around, so i want it slow for portability. i've got a logitech one, but it's big and bulky....oh yeah, small portable OPTICAL

ae77
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Max8319:
what's the best small mouse? i'm looking for one to carry around, so i want it slow for portability. i've got a logitech one, but it's big and bulky....oh yeah, small portable OPTICAL
I'm using Kensington PocketMouse. it's small, it's black, it's optical. Has simple standard two buttons and a wheel.
^_^

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 5, 2003, 05:34 AM

Logitech optical wheel mouse now, had a MS optical before. Can't imagine ever changing from Logitech, and the Logitech Control Centre works a treat on 10.2.3.

Exactly as someone else said, I don't think about it anymore. (I did when I had the MS optical - always wondered what a Logitech would be like - everyone else rated them so highly. Now I know why.)

Peter753
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2003, 06:33 PM

Has anyone used the Kensington StudioMouse Wireless? It looks really cool on the back of my Macworld magazine.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2003, 07:57 PM

I just picked up a Logitech MX500 last week. Love all the buttons on this thing!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Mack:
I'm happy with the Logitech cordless optical. It's not fully functional in OS X, though (only the top two buttons and scroll wheel work). But it feels and works great.
Mine is. I have a Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical mouse. I have the wheel button set as a double-click, and that side button is whatever the default setting is. Do you have the latest version Logitech Control Center? I'm running 10.2.3 as well, if that makes any difference.

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2003, 04:16 AM

I have both, a Logitech optical and an Apple Pro Mouse. I use the Logitech just for gaming (you need a mouse wheel for changing weapons/zooming and a second mouse button for secondary attack!). I have also worked with a M$ IntelliMouse.

I love my Pro Mouse. Works flawless (the Logitech got some problems after tuning it with teflon ...). Hell, I can adjust the ?hardness' of my click ... It's simply the best.

Oh, and the IntelliMouse feels like cheap crap compared to it. The plastic is really thin (even compared to old M$ mice), the Logitech is a bit better, but not much. Kinda reminds me of the keyboards that seem to be crappier each generation. Someone remembers those IBM keyboards (400 Marks a piece back then)? You could kill someone with them and then simply continue typing ... Or the NeXT keyboards that came pretty close to them ...

To make a long story short: the Pro Mouse feels like good quality, works flawless in most apps and it is my recommendation except if you need more than one mouse button.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 09:24 AM

i have used logitech optical wheel, apple pro, microsoft intellimouse wireless and kensington pocket mouse pro.

logitech, works okay, but it got a long cable, i think it works better with a win/PC because i think its design for you to put your pc below your desk, that's why you have a long cable.

MS wireless intellimouse is comfort with your palm, but the battery last for only three weeks with heavy use and the mouse is heavy!

apple pro mouse looks the best, and has a great touch. But it broke down so easily that i have three replacements already. I could not replace my latest one because my apple care has expired.

I bought kensington mouse pro to replace it, works great and has great portability, but the click button is not very precise. Despite that, i am getting used to it because once you have use two buttons and scroll wheel, you'll never want to get back to a one button mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules