Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Requirments

Tiger Requirments
Dr T
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2005, 03:55 PM

What are the Mac Hardware Reqirements needed to run Tiger? Which machine will it run on? Do CPU upgrades count?

iYeat
Apr 3, 2005, 04:11 PM

Apple has not announced "official" system requirements for tiger..

Generally CPU upgrades are not figured in the minimum requirements, but do work sometimes.
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2005, 04:22 PM

I wonder if Tiger will be released DVD-only. If that's true, then quite a few systems will be eliminated.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by LaGow:
I wonder if Tiger will be released DVD-only. If that's true, then quite a few systems will be eliminated.
They'll have to release a CD version, I would think. Because it wasn't long ago at all that you had a choice of CD-burner, DVD-ROM, or combo drive... and even now they sell .edu refurbs with plain CD-ROM.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2005, 05:40 PM

Hope so. I was not pleased that iWork came DVD only. Seemed like a harbinger of things to come.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2005, 06:40 PM

Hope so. I was not pleased that iWork came DVD only. Seemed like a harbinger of things to come.
iWork is not DVD only. You can order a CD version from the Apple Store.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 06:59 PM

So far, system requirements have not been released. However, Apple hasn't implied that anything capable of running Panther wouldn't also be capable of running Tiger. That would mean any Mac which came with built-in USB.

The USB part isn't actually a requirement, in and of itself. The requirement comes from certain internal changes which happened to coincide with the first Macs that had built-in USB. Looking for a USB port is easier than looking at the motherboard (or looking up your model in a long list), so this is what Apple mentions as the requirement. It's just an easier way of telling the supported machines apart from the unsupported ones.

Note that because of this, CPU upgrades do not count, because they aren't the limiting factor anyway. Similarly, adding a USB card to a Mac which didn't come with USB won't help, because USB itself isn't the requirement, it's just another way of telling if your machine is supported. That said, you can try using XPostFacto on older machines and running it there. Apple has not tested these configurations, and they can't help you if something goes wrong, but many people have done it without any trouble.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Note that because of this, CPU upgrades do not count, because they aren't the limiting factor anyway. Similarly, adding a USB card to a Mac which didn't come with USB won't help, because USB itself isn't the requirement, it's just another way of telling if your machine is supported. That said, you can try using XPostFacto on older machines and running it there. Apple has not tested these configurations, and they can't help you if something goes wrong, but many people have done it without any trouble.
I'd be pretty surprised if XPostFacto just worked with Tiger without needing some tweaking.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 07:39 PM

The box will contain a DVD as well as the four CD's

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I'd be pretty surprised if XPostFacto just worked with Tiger without needing some tweaking.
You're right, of course, but thus far they've always managed to make it work relatively soon after the release of the OS.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 06:38 PM

I am suspecting my iMac Rev D to be able to run Tiger... if that's the case then I'll be super impressed that an iMac that's getting close to six years old will be able to run a brand new OS.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 06:54 PM

As Milennium intimated, I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that Tiger would encompass the same group of machines as Panther.

One thing that gives me hope: Apple removed its official requirements for Core Image a while back ...here's hoping that they figured out a way for the 32mb 9200 GPU to take full advantage of it. So many Macs in the last few years used this GPU (including current iBooks, eMacs, and Mac Minis). It'd be a shame if they were actively shipping systems that weren't capable of all the goodies of their actively shipping OS.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 07:35 PM

Once upon a time, I had heard that built-in firewire might be a requirement, in the same sense that Panther needed USB (a way of telling which machines are supported).

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
As Milennium intimated, I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that Tiger would encompass the same group of machines as Panther.

One thing that gives me hope: Apple removed its official requirements for Core Image a while back ...here's hoping that they figured out a way for the 32mb 9200 GPU to take full advantage of it. So many Macs in the last few years used this GPU (including current iBooks, eMacs, and Mac Minis). It'd be a shame if they were actively shipping systems that weren't capable of all the goodies of their actively shipping OS.
Get ready to be disappointed then, I don't believe the 9200 is supported with core image.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Get ready to be disappointed then, I don't believe the 9200 is supported with core image.
I know .... just hoping.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 03:29 PM

But Supported graphics cards only make everything realtime but the feqtures still work.

IS THIS CORRECT

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by real:
But Supported graphics cards only make everything realtime but the feqtures still work.

IS THIS CORRECT

real
Yes. The only thing you don't get is the acceleration. 90% of users will neither know nor care about this, which is why the 9200 is in the low-end models. Hell, on the PC side, sub-$1000 users are content with Intel Integrated Graphics for crying out loud.

Sheesh, by the way people talk about this, you'd think Tiger would refuse to run on anything less than a GeForce 6800.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 03:55 PM

Yeah As long as I can use the features thats fine with me. Charles thanks for the info
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I am suspecting my iMac Rev D to be able to run Tiger... if that's the case then I'll be super impressed that an iMac that's getting close to six years old will be able to run a brand new OS.
I am quite sure my 5 year old Cube will run it just fine also.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 04:13 PM

IS THIS CORRECT
This is correct. In fact, if you've got a G4 chip then you will still get AltiVec acceleration. The only ones who get no acceleration at all are the people with older graphics cards and G3 processors.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 05:36 PM

So will that water ripple still work on a OLD G4 cube?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 06:30 PM

Yes because an IDE dvd drive cost $20.... and because an external firewire case cost $20 more...

People with older computers should spend the $99 towards a new computer not a system upgrade.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Yes because an IDE dvd drive cost $20.... and because an external firewire case cost $20 more...

People with older computers should spend the $99 towards a new computer not a system upgrade.
Well, I happen to like my DP G4 450. It's still very serviceable.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The framerate won't be as high as it would be on a newer machine, but it should work aside from that.

OreoCookie
Apr 7, 2005, 10:34 AM

Do you have a QE-supported graphics card? If not, then you won't see it, I suppose.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 01:10 PM

Looks like I may be correct about the DVD-only requirement.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 01:11 PM

Sucks to be me.
Don't worry, it'll ship with four CD's as well

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 01:16 PM

Somebody else was also very reassuring about that, but the MacinTouch article makes it seem like that may not be so--otherwise, why all the concern about which specific models don't have DVD capabilities? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

And what a fast reply! You quoted me before I could edit out the self-pity!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 02:09 AM

Makes sense: moving the requirement up one model cycle with a new OS release.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 02:28 AM

As much as I want to allow for the possibility, thereby giving hope to those affected, I think it would be a bit strange and unprecedented to see Apple release both CDs and a DVD in one package. Wouldn't that be equivalent to giving out two copies of the OS for the price of one?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 02:51 AM

Doesn't Apple still sell an educational iBook model with only a CD-ROM drive in it? I think that fact would lead me to believe that there ought to be a version of Tiger you can get on CD in some shape or form.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 02:58 AM

I would agree with that, Charles. I just doubt that we will see the CD version in the same retail box as the DVD version.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 11:08 AM

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why, then, isn't there a choice of which format is desired when pre-ordering OS X Tiger at Amazon? Three responses that I can think of off hand:

1) OS X Tiger requires a DVD drive and will not be shipping on CD;

2) Apple has not been forthcoming to Amazon about a possible CD-DVD choice;

3) I missed something somewhere (I've been known to, believe me).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 8, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Doesn't Apple still sell an educational iBook model with only a CD-ROM drive in it? I think that fact would lead me to believe that there ought to be a version of Tiger you can get on CD in some shape or form.
Yes they do. In fact, individuals can buy them too. And you don't even have to be an educational customer either if you buy them from the refurb store.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2005, 05:03 PM

It probably would work, slow and cpu rendered though and definatly not realtime. I suppose that is why it is disabled. So, it will not work, i.e. you will not see it.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
This is correct. In fact, if you've got a G4 chip then you will still get AltiVec acceleration. The only ones who get no acceleration at all are the people with older graphics cards and G3 processors.
Such as my iMac DV with fabulous 8 MB Rage 128 VR.

I wonder if Tiger will even be worth it for my iMac. More like time for a new Mac mini or something.

OreoCookie
Apr 9, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Such as my iMac DV with fabulous 8 MB Rage 128 VR.

I wonder if Tiger will even be worth it for my iMac. More like time for a new Mac mini or something.
But then, how old is your machine?
Try running Win XP on a five-year old machine

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 12:19 PM

From the horses mouth..

[taken from the Tiger Read Before You Install]

System requirements
You must have a Macintosh computer with:
specifications that Tiger requires

obvious NDA violation removed by Detrius
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 12, 2005 at 05:46 AM. )
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
But then, how old is your machine?
Try running Win XP on a five-year old machine
XP runs fine on a 5 year old machine, as long as you have enough memory. I even run it on a 7 year-old machine, and with enough memory it works fine, especially if you turn off some of the eye candy.

Not that I'd recommend it for most 5 year-old machines though.

Originally posted by jocker:
From the horses mouth..

[taken from the Tiger Read Before You Install]

System requirements
You must have a Macintosh computer with:
specifications that Tiger requires

obvious NDA violation removed by Detrius
Regardless of what that says, I still expect a CD version of Tiger, although it may not be in the retail box.
( Last edited by Detrius; Apr 11, 2005 at 07:09 PM. )

betasp
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 01:11 PM

XP runs fine on a 5 year old machine, as long as you have enough memory. I even run it on a 7 year-old machine, and with enough memory it works fine, especially if you turn off some of the eye candy.

Funny thing is the experience on XP on a five year old machine is about the same as OSX on a five year old machine. I don't think some Mac users realize that. I run XP on my P3-500 Thinkpad with no eye candy and 256MB of Ram and can work fine with everything I do. It runs about as well as my Blue Tray loading iMac does with OSX.

OreoCookie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

Regardless of what that says, I still expect a CD version of Tiger, although it may not be in the retail box.
Compare running Win2k on that machine with XP; try the same with -- say -- 10.2 and 10.3. 10.3 will be faster (or at least not slower), provided you have enough memory, whereas XP will definitely be slower.

That said, the rest of my family runs Win2k (except for my brother who switched recently).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Compare running Win2k on that machine with XP; try the same with -- say -- 10.2 and 10.3. 10.3 will be faster (or at least not slower), provided you have enough memory, whereas XP will definitely be slower.

That said, the rest of my family runs Win2k (except for my brother who switched recently).
XP (with the Windows 2000 theme) on a PIII 500 feels faster than 10.3 on a G4 450 for a lot of stuff, and about the same for most other stuff.

OreoCookie
Apr 11, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
XP (with the Windows 2000 theme) on a PIII 500 feels faster than 10.3 on a G4 450 for a lot of stuff, and about the same for most other stuff.
That's not what I meant, sorry, I was in a hurry (I had to catch my bus).

I meant that comparing XP to Win2k, Win2k `feels' faster to me, but comparing 10.3 to 10.2, 10.3 `feels' faster. So even though 10.3 has more bells and whistles, it is an improvement on old machines, especially if you have a QE graphics card. I wasn't comparing XP to 10.3 on an old machine.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:34 PM

I imagine we'll see a CD package... I think Steve might still want to support the original iMacs if only for nostalgia. Not to mention I'm very hopeful for a version that will support my iMac. I don't need it to run Tiger but I'd like it to. As well, I don't think they're going to bump up the requirements if this means they might even sell a few to older Mac owners they'll do it I think.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 03:45 PM

I imagine we'll see a CD package... I think Steve might still want to support the original iMacs if only for nostalgia. Not to mention I'm very hopeful for a version that will support my iMac. I don't need it to run Tiger but I'd like it to. As well, I don't think they're going to bump up the requirements if this means they might even sell a few to older Mac owners they'll do it I think.
No. We. Won't.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 07:13 PM

I already don't recommend these people install Panther without at least 512MB of RAM on an old G3. Why on earth would they want to run Tiger? There is such an incredibly huge difference between the middle of the line G4s and the original iMac. These people should be looking into a Mac mini--not upgrading their iMac so that it will run Tiger bearably.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
I already don't recommend these people install Panther without at least 512MB of RAM on an old G3. Why on earth would they want to run Tiger? There is such an incredibly huge difference between the middle of the line G4s and the original iMac. These people should be looking into a Mac mini--not upgrading their iMac so that it will run Tiger bearably.
I wouldn't want to run an old iMac either. However, some people do, and running a 512 MB G3 Mac with Tiger should be just as fast if not faster than with Panther.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
One major reason to wish to run Tiger is that certain complementary Apple software will require it, such as Safari 2.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 01:38 AM

I can say nothing specific

Edited by OreoCookie (TM)
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 12, 2005 at 05:46 AM. )

OreoCookie
Apr 12, 2005, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
One major reason to wish to run Tiger is that certain complementary Apple software will require it, such as Safari 2.
Obviously running the latest version of a software is often desirable, but if you have a really old machine, you shouldn't expect that it is supported indefinitely. Again, if your machine runs Panther just barely, you should start saving for a new machine if you want to run Tiger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules