Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Use a Snow Basestation as a repeater/router? Can I do this?

Use a Snow Basestation as a repeater/router? Can I do this?
bigstones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 01:44 PM

So, I have a problem with my iBook and I can't use the internal Airport ( already posted about that w/out any luck) but I can use ethernet with no problem.

I am wondering since I have use of a currently unused Snow Airport Basestation, is there a way that I can set it up so I can connect the Snow ABS to the existing network and I can connect to it via ethernet. I guess it would need to be a repeater. If this is possible, what do I need to do?

meetingpeopleiseasy
Jan 6, 2006, 05:49 AM

Just plug the other ethernet cable from your machine into the LAN port on your ABS.
So the WAN port is used via the direct internet connection. I think that's right, if not hopefully someone will correct me.
http://www.december9.net

bigstones  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 03:58 PM

that would be correct if the Snow airport was connected directly. It is not. Maybe this will clear things up.

There is an existing wireless network. At times, I sit near one and run ethernet to my iBook. My post was asking if there is a way to use an extra, currently unused Snow Base Station to connect to the network. If the Snow AP could connect as a client, I am guessing that I could connect to it with ethernet via the LAN port as suggested. Does anyone know if this is possible and how I might do it if it is? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for the response!

Forum Links
Forum Rules