Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Albums to iBook: what cable do I need?

Albums to iBook: what cable do I need?
karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 07:05 PM

I've got a G4 iBook and I'm thinking about buying Roxio's Boom Box to record my albums for iTunes. My questions is how does the music actually get from the turntable to iTunes? I mean, what cable(s) do I need? All I have are two USB ports and one FW. (I don't see a microphone input, but I'm not sure where to look if it's not on the side.) I've searched for such cables, but I must not be using the correct key words because nothing shows up.

Thanks for your help!

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 07:19 PM

use Griffin Technology's iMic. it turns a usb port into a headphone and microphone jack (just toggle a switch to choose from the two.) i recommend it.

good luck
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks, but I'm still confused. This iMic has a 1/8" input jack and the cables coming out of my turntable don't match. Now what?

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 01:03 PM

i apologize, but i'm not familiar with turntables. what do the cables coming out of your turntable look like. unless you provide a pic, we may not be able to help you. perhaps it is an rca (aka composite) cable. if it is yellow, then it might be a composite/rca cable
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 01:15 PM

I'll have to look at the back of the turntable, but I think it might be yellow.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 06:40 PM

I don't see much ambiguity in Roxio's hardware requirements for Boom Box... buy the cable where one end fits in your turntable output and the other fits in the 3.5mm stereo input jack on your iBook.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 09:18 PM

iBooks don't have audio input jacks, which is why a USB or FireWire audio interface is necessary.

That said, for something like this I'd use a better interface than an iMic, which has no controls of any kind. I'd recommend one of the semipro models from M-Audio or Edirol (among others) that go for around $100-200.

tooki

Thraxes
Jun 5, 2006, 09:35 PM

I will second tooki's recommendation for getting something better than an iMic.

Now regarding the necessary pre-amp and distortion rectifier (how is this called in english? I only know the german term), I just hook up the Tape-Out jacks from my main amplifier with the turntable connected to it via the phono inputs as per usual.

Since he is using an iBook that means he is quite mobile so, leave your hifi system as it is and connect the external sound box of the laptop to the "tape out " ports of the amp.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
iBooks don't have audio input jacks, which is why a USB or FireWire audio interface is necessary.

That said, for something like this I'd use a better interface than an iMic, which has no controls of any kind. I'd recommend one of the semipro models from M-Audio or Edirol (among others) that go for around $100-200.

tooki
tooki, you being in charm city, and i'm just down the road a bit near annapolis, do you have one I can borrow for a bit? $100 is a bit steep for a dozen albums.....

However, Roxio's Boom Box claims to have controls in the software; I don't own it yet so I don't know what kind of controls.

I'm having a major blonde day with this thing!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 10:26 PM

I don't have an audio device myself; otherwise I would!

Hardware controls are always superior to software. That said, depending on what your quality needs are, a cheap unit with no controls may be more than enough.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules