Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I.q.

I.q.
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 03:20 AM

( Last edited by Ulrich Kinbote; Jul 24, 2006 at 03:37 AM. )

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 05:01 AM

Probably 98.6°
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 05:13 AM

How many Mensa members among us mac users?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
My old boss said the meetings are a bore. Stuffy folks standing around trying to impress each other and comparing IQ's.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
My old boss said the meetings are a bore. Stuffy folks standing around trying to impress each other and comparing IQ's.
This game sounds lame anyway. > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnelli

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2006, 07:41 AM

I've known a few Mensa members. While some are stuffy and overly proud of their proven test taking ability (which is all most test-type IQ tests measure), others are really quite creative and relaxed. I've heard some really "interesting" stories about some of their special interest groups. There's a SciFi SIG, a Hiking SIG, a Sailing SIG, and all sorts of others too. Stuffy Mensa members are just stuffy people-maybe they like hanging around other stuffy people.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2006, 11:48 AM

What's smart about paying a membership fee so that others "recognize" your intelligence?

I.Q. tests test what, anyhow? It cannot cover the spectrum so completely. And scores wildly change depending on the day, the mood of the taker.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
It cannot cover the spectrum so completely. And scores wildly change depending on the day, the mood of the taker.
You mean, depending on the intelligence of the taker.

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2006, 01:01 PM

I don't see how this number is really important. Obviously some people are smart/good at something, but can you really claim: I'm right coz I'm 10 % smarter than you are!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
You mean, depending on the intelligence of the taker.
I get the joke, but hopefully you understood me.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I've known a few Mensa members. While some are stuffy and overly proud of their proven test taking ability (which is all most test-type IQ tests measure), others are really quite creative and relaxed. I've heard some really "interesting" stories about some of their special interest groups. There's a SciFi SIG, a Hiking SIG, a Sailing SIG, and all sorts of others too. Stuffy Mensa members are just stuffy people-maybe they like hanging around other stuffy people.
Our group in Hong Kong has many mac users. Far from being a group of stuffy people, we have a great mix of people from all walks of life. We are a social club, and we primarily meet for mostly sporting events, which tend to give the body a workout more so than the mind, but we all enjoy the casual nature of our events.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 09:09 PM

Apparently I tested well enough in IQ evaluations to get into the advanced and 'gifted' programs at school. This program was not very helpful because a) it separated us from the other students and b) it created a sense of arrogance.

As for Mensa, I would never want to join something like that. I picture a bunch of guys with nothing to do in their spare time, trying to find a way to make themselves stand out but instead coming off as losers. Like modern day Freemasons.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 09:12 PM

I love those threads where everyone posts their IQ score and the average is always something like 220. There are probably like 8 people in the world with a genuine IQ score above about 150, and yet everyone on every internet forum has an IQ above that.

MarathonDeskMount
Baninated
Jul 24, 2006, 09:30 PM

I have the knack... I am intelligent in anything mechanical or electrical, and I have an artistic creative side. I guess I'm pretty smart, but I'm horribly stupid when it comes to judging how people feel towards me, or what I say around them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Probably 98.6°
Mine's 37°, but I'm in Canada.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I love those threads where everyone posts their IQ score and the average is always something like 220. There are probably like 8 people in the world with a genuine IQ score above about 150, and yet everyone on every internet forum has an IQ above that.
True!

There was a program on the BBC about this. A survey was carried out by a neuropsychiatrist. When asked "Do you think you are of average intelligence, or above average intelligence?" most people answered "Above average." It's a statistical and mathematical impossibillity that they're all correct. Ergo, loads of people don't know they're stoopid.

This squares with my experience... (of other people).

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 05:37 AM

There was a program on the BBC about this. A survey was carried out by a neuropsychiatrist. When asked "Do you think you are of average intelligence, or above average intelligence?" most people answered "Above average." It's a statistical and mathematical impossibillity that they're all correct. Ergo, loads of people don't know they're stoopid.
I urge everyone to get tested. Stupidity can't be cured, but it can be managed. Plenty of stupid people go on to live successful lives (see: George W. Bush).

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Apparently I tested well enough in IQ evaluations to get into the advanced and 'gifted' programs at school. This program was not very helpful because a) it separated us from the other students and b) it created a sense of arrogance.
I got kicked out of the smart class for being a smart-ass. Should have seen that coming.

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell
There are quite a lot of people with an IQ of 150+, but people with 170, 180+ are very rare.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
Mine's 37°, but I'm in Canada.
Eh.

Nice new nik.

Seb G
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2006, 07:28 AM

True!

This squares with my experience... (of other people).
The really stupid person here is the neuropsychiatrist who didn't specify whether average was the median or arithmetic mean. Since the I.Q. is defined in terms of the arithmetic mean (not median), I would presume average means mean.

If most people are slightly smart and few are really dumb, most people's intelligence will be above the arithmetic mean.

If you understand average as the median, of course the groups below and above median I.Q. would be the same size.

OTOH you can use statistics to prove whatever you want.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Seb G
The really stupid person here is the neuropsychiatrist who didn't specify whether average was the median or arithmetic mean. Since the I.Q. is defined in terms of the arithmetic mean (not median), I would presume average means mean.

If most people are slightly smart and few are really dumb, most people's intelligence will be above the arithmetic mean.

If you understand average as the median, of course the groups below and above median I.Q. would be the same size.

OTOH you can use statistics to prove whatever you want.
It's a normal distribution so the median = the mean. Not everyone can be above average, but everyone thinks they are, it's as simple as that.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
There are quite a lot of people with an IQ of 150+, but people with 170, 180+ are very rare.
How many do you think? A normal probability table shows that 3.3 standard deviations above the mean (IQ tests usually have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15) is a fraction of 1%. That still could be a lot of people in absolute terms, but only a very small number of people have ever taken a real IQ test.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 09:03 AM

Oops. What's your IQ if you double post?
( Last edited by BRussell; Jul 25, 2006 at 09:11 AM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 09:12 AM

Actually the standard deviation of the distribution is 15, and as BRussell mentioned, it's a normal distribution, so people at ≥150 should be exceedingly rare, like .04% of the population.

I mean, I suppose if you're looking at absolute numbers, then that means about 2 million people have that IQ (I don't know if the distribution population is supposed to include everyone, just adults, or what). Still, that's a drop in the bucket.

To me the more interesting number would be how many people you know that might have such an IQ. If your acquaintances were a random sample of the population (which of course they're not), and you personally knew 2500 people, you should expect exactly one to have an IQ ≥ 150. Doesn't strike me as quite a lot..

Sorry, just took a statistics class this summer.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 09:13 AM

Dammit, it happened again. A few days ago, somebody made the same point as me while I was typing my long-winded version..

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 09:21 AM

138 or so

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Actually the standard deviation of the distribution is 15, and as BRussell mentioned, it's a normal distribution, so people at ≥150 should be exceedingly rare, like .04% of the population.

I mean, I suppose if you're looking at absolute numbers, then that means about 2 million people have that IQ (I don't know if the distribution population is supposed to include everyone, just adults, or what). Still, that's a drop in the bucket.

To me the more interesting number would be how many people you know that might have such an IQ. If your acquaintances were a random sample of the population (which of course they're not), and you personally knew 2500 people, you should expect exactly one to have an IQ ≥ 150. Doesn't strike me as quite a lot..

Sorry, just took a statistics class this summer.
I know the statistics, but I can still tell you I've met a two or three people who have been tested to have in IQ of 160 and quite a few people who were somewhere in the 140s.

(The solution is simple: my acquaintances are not random )

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 09:22 AM

Maybe it was 128, it's been a while

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 10:01 AM

I know the statistics, but I can still tell you I've met a two or three people who have been tested to have in IQ of 160 and quite a few people who were somewhere in the 140s.

(The solution is simple: my acquaintances are not random )
Sounds like you'd have some truly above average colleagues in your line of work.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2006, 10:07 AM

I still pay dues, but don't attend the functions.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Quite a few Mensa members so far. I have made a note of your usernames, and will not be trying to argue with you in future.

What are your IQs?

Here's what I don't get. If the average IQ is in fact around 100 (which is what I keep reading), how come I've never met anyone -- not a single person -- who's confessed to an IQ of less than 120? (Trust me, it is not because the people I meet are all smart)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 10:45 AM

Here's what I don't get. If the average IQ is in fact around 100 (which is what I keep reading), how come I've never met anyone -- not a single person -- who's confessed to an IQ of less than 120? (Trust me, it is not because the people I meet are all smart)
No one's going to admit they're stupid, and I'm guessing those that know they don't have something to prove won't bothered getting tested for real. Sure, I can take an online quiz with patterns and word games that will tell me my IQ is 200, but who's going to take the time (and cost?) to get tested for real? I remember hearing about some tv show in Europe where they tested peoples IQs, and the average was about 110 maybe?

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Sounds like you'd have some truly above average colleagues in your line of work.
Actually I have met most of the people who got tested during my childhood. I am still surrounded by extremely smart people, but since only people who have been tested qualify, I cannot tell anything about their IQs. Although I think the average would be higher than 100 in my line of work (I'm a mathematical physicist).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 11:48 AM

Actually I have met most of the people who got tested during my childhood. I am still surrounded by extremely smart people, but since only people who have been tested qualify, I cannot tell anything about their IQs. Although I think the average would be higher than 100 in my line of work (I'm a mathematical physicist).
Yeah, I remember you saying something about that in another thread. I think I'm kinda smart, but I still only managed to get Bs in my classical physics classes

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 11:55 AM

Well, perhaps you simply have different talents. Although, I don't think being gifted is the same as having a high IQ. Plus, even if you are gifted, you still have to make something of your talents. As Einstein (and many other scientists, such as Weinberg) stated: it's still 90 % work.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 11:58 AM

Marylin vos Savant is in Guiness for her IQ of 228.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn...avant#IQ_score

She's a newspaper columnist. In her column "Ask Marilyn" she solves mathematical and logical puzzles and answers questions.

I'm sure it's a good gig, but you might expect more from the world's most intelligent human being.

Googling Einstein's IQ would suggest it was around 160. Stephen Hawking the same.

The former said: "Imagination is more important than knowledge." And, if the above is correct, it would seem it's more important than IQ too.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 12:00 PM

Quite a few Mensa members so far. I have made a note of your usernames, and will not be trying to argue with you in future.

What are your IQs?

In our group we do not tell the candidates their IQ scores, simply a pass or not. Your in the top 2% if you pass the admission test, I think that is more than enough information.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 12:01 PM

But her Monty Hall riddle is pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Gossamer
Professional Poster

Well, perhaps you simply have different talents. Although, I don't think being gifted is the same as having a high IQ. Plus, even if you are gifted, you still have to make something of your talents. As Einstein (and many other scientists, such as Weinberg) stated: it's still 90 % work.
What happens when I'm not willing to work
I worked my butt off for the B in 221, but I skipped a lot of class in 222, and if I did go to class it was to do the crossword puzzle or play tetris on my calculator. I deserved the B I got. I'm going into engineering, so I hope I've got talent in that area! I actually did all right in my Statics, Dynamics and Thermo classes, so I should be good to go. I guess the only true measure of that will be the next couple years.

Andy8
Mac Elite

I am very active and try to get to every event if I have time and in town.

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 12:02 PM

I thought Einstein's IQ was in the 180s. Kip Thorne is supposedly in that ball park as well. Einstein will still be THE physicist of the 20th century for me, though

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2006, 12:15 PM

What are your IQs?

Well, I've taken several tests over the years, most were required for gifted student programs in elementary and high school (and you were required to test every other year, for some reason). My scores ranged from 148-167, 167 was on the last test I took during a college course 10 years ago.

The highest I've personally encountered was my mentor in esoteric studies, he was tested at 175 at the age of 15. He could recite entire works of literature from memory, like the New Testament.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 12:16 PM

Well, I've taken several tests over the years, most were required for gifted student programs in elementary and high school (and you were required to test every other year, for some reason). My scores ranged from 148-167, 167 was on the last test I took during a college course 10 years ago.

The highest I've personally encountered was my mentor in esoteric studies, he was tested at 175 at the age of 15. He could recite entire works of literature from memory, like the entire New Testament.
Is age factored into the test score?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2006, 12:16 PM

I am very active and try to get to every event if I have time and in town.
I simply don't have the time, and the members around here are... tedious.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Is age factored into the test score?
I guess that depends on the test, but I'd say most take age into consideration.
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

Yes. For instance if you are a child and the psychologist uses a test designed for adults, your test score is renormalized.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 12:54 PM

The highest I've personally encountered was my mentor in esoteric studies, he was tested at 175 at the age of 15. He could recite entire works of literature from memory, like the New Testament.
I think memory and rational cognition are two different things, aren't they?

The average joe can really surprise himself with respect to memorization by using mnemonic techniques.

I'm not disputing this guy was a genius. But feats of memory aren't an ideal qualification of his intelligence because someone with an average IQ could memorize the New Testament if he had the time and a passing knowledge of mnemonics.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 01:01 PM

The average joe can really surprise himself with respect to memorization by using mnemonic techniques.

I'm not disputing this guy was a genius. But feats of memory aren't an ideal qualification of his intelligence because someone with an average IQ could memorize the New Testament if he had the time and a passing knowledge of mnemonics.
Yeah I bet long-term memory is uncorrelated with IQ in normal adults. Working memory is where it's at: The ability to hold several things in your mind at once and manipulate them. There are also a number of studies showing that mental speed is highly correlated with IQ-type intelligence, which I bet is also related to working memory.

OreoCookie
Jul 25, 2006, 01:20 PM

AFAIK a photographic memory isn't necessarily correlated to a high IQ.

mindwaves
Jul 25, 2006, 01:34 PM

I believe my IQ was 128 when I was tested as a 2nd grader for the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education). I haven't been tested since, but I would imagine it would be a bazillion by now.

edit: I actually still remember some of the questions. One of them was a logic question. It went something like this: A train is traveling along the railroad tracks and its last caboose always keeps on coming off no matter what. So the people decided to remove the last caboose from the train. Would that solve the problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules