Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.2.1 hosed my Yamaha CDRW

9.2.1 hosed my Yamaha CDRW
iYeat
Aug 22, 2001, 01:20 PM

I have a Yamaha 2100 16xCDRW drive installed in my b/w G3. It replaced my Apple CDROM drive. I didn't have any problems using the drive in 9.1. It seemed to work well using either the Toast 501 CD Reader Extension or the Apple CD/DVD driver.

Well, since I installed the 9.2.1 update yesterday, I haven't been able to use my CD-RW at all. The darn thing won't even open when I push the button.. I've checked all the connections to the drive and everything is tight and snug.. I've tried using it with just the Apple driver and with the Toast Driver.. The apple system profiler shows it as a "CD-ROM drive" with the driver version, vendor, etc all showing as Not Available, whereas just before the update (for some reason I checked) everything showed up with the actual information....

I am hoping this is an issue with the OS update, as I don't want the drive to be fried! aack. Perish the thought!!!

Does anyone have any ideas?
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2001, 04:24 PM

I doubt the drive is "fried", but you might have to go back to 9.1. Have you tried calling Yamaha to let them know that their drive isn't compatible with 9.2.1? Perhaps they have new drivers out for 9.2.1....they should have gotten seeds of this OS a whle back.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

iYeat  (op)
Aug 22, 2001, 04:33 PM

Yamaha says that it works with the Apple CD/DVD Driver... so I guess that I will have to revert to 9.1 until there is a fix..
-Anonymous

<Esquare>
Aug 22, 2001, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by iYeat:
<STRONG>Yamaha says that it works with the Apple CD/DVD Driver... so I guess that I will have to revert to 9.1 until there is a fix..</STRONG>
The Yamaha 2100 works just fine under OS 9.2.1. Just delete the SDAP, and/or any unnecessary USB and Firewire extensions.

iYeat  (op)
Aug 22, 2001, 05:30 PM

SWEET... disabling the SDAP extension worked like a charm..

What does that thing do, anyway?
-Anonymous

<Tablespork>
Aug 22, 2001, 10:15 PM

My Que! Firewire 8x4x32x CD-RW also didnt work with 9.2.1. It crashed the second I turned it on. I'm disabling that SDAP extension now, I hope it works.

<Tablespork>
Aug 22, 2001, 10:21 PM

Cha-ching! That did the trick. It now works perfectly. I'm really curious as to what that SDAP thing does now. My best guess is that it has something to do with Apple's internal burners.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2001, 01:12 AM

Disregard whatever comes out of my dumb ass...I tried my Sony Firewire burner and it didn't work, either. Same problem, that SDAP extension was on, and apparently is something new to OS 9.2.1.

I really wish Apple had better support for burning, so I didn't have to use Toast. But it's nice of Apple to leave the market open for "deluxe" burning apps, so they don't piss off Roxio too bad.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 23, 2001, 07:38 AM

I have a Yamaha CRW2100E external FireWire CD-R/RW burner which I use with a PowerBook G3/500 (Pismo). Under OS 9.2.1, I noticed that if I booted without the DVD-ROM drive, and then inserted it later (after removing the 2nd battery), my PowerBook would freeze completely either upon inserting a CD or when I tried to remove the DVD-ROM drive (after previously removing the CD, obviously). It looks like

Disc Burner Extension
SDAP Authoring Support

are the culprits.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules