Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > broken display on G4 60GB can it be fixed?

broken display on G4 60GB can it be fixed?
karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2006, 06:14 PM

My husband had his ipod in his jacket pocket and it swung into the edge of the car door. Now the display looks like someone smeared the ink. The surface is not broken and the unit still plays, you just can't tell what is playing.

Can it be repaired? and by whom? should I look in ebay for a dead unit for the screen to use as a replacement or take it to an Apple store.

Or do I just buy him a G5 unit? He has almost 9000 songs now so I'd have to go with a 80gig, right?

Thanks,

k-

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2006, 08:44 PM

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I've got a bid on eBay for a "for parts" G4 40gig unit and I'm going to try to replace the screen myself. Apple wants about $250 to do it, apple care doesn't cover "accidental damage." If I can't do it myself, then I'll go with iPodResQ or buy a new unit. I'm bummed because my choices are 30 or 80gb. I'll be replacing a 40 (sorry, I said a 60 before) with 8800 songs so it looks like I have to find another 40 from somewhere or bump up to an 80. Moneypits.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 06:45 PM

with electronics the parts alone cost more than the final product = Apple gets a killer deal on parts because they order millions at a time. Buy a case for that iPod so it never breaks again.

With all the new iPods, people are selling the old ones cheap. And when you like something -why switch to something else? Take a look at Apple's refurbs sometimes also for fair deals with a warranty.

Most electronics are not worth fixing anymore unless you are a geek and can do it yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules