Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Traveling with iPhone

Traveling with iPhone
iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 06:04 PM

OK, clearly I'm not taking the iPhone to Mexico (I have no desire to potentially brick the thing). I've brought the Treo to various places and used SIMs there as well as MX.

So the question I have is, what is the lightest-weight unlocked, (ideally inexpensive) yet cool phone to use with prepaid SIMs? Also have an iPod.
I would think the Mac-heads here would have this answer, but perhaps other forums to ask?

Thanks.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 11:13 PM

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 12:29 AM

meh. no recommendations eh?

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 12:04 AM

erm, i guess my post is misleading... it should read: 'traveling without the iPhone.'

Sigh.
No one has recommendations for a backup iPhone?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2008, 07:19 AM

FWIW I've really liked my Sony Ericssons of late.

Loved the K800i, though it's not going to vanish in your pocket like the iPhone does. All the same - better camera, and it's hardly a brick. Syncs well in OS X, too.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 10:04 AM

OK, clearly I'm not taking the iPhone to Mexico (I have no desire to potentially brick the thing). I've brought the Treo to various places and used SIMs there as well as MX.

what does this mean?

are you saying your phone is locked and you dont want to risk unlocking it for your trip

or is it unlocked and you think using a sim in mexico will brick it?

in any case my nokia e61 does me well

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 11:21 AM

You're with ATT since you've got an iPhone. I just called up ATT and they agreed to unlock my SE 580i which I've only had for a few months. Now I can put any prepaid SIM card in there.

If they won't do that with your iPhone, what about unlocking your previous ATT mobile?

And if that one doesn't have a good battery, do a search on dealmac.com for "unlocked" and you'll find a variety of phones. Your vacation phone doesn't need to be a top-of-the-line phone, just something handy.

And when you're in Mexico, take the SIM out of the iPhone and connect to any nearby hotspot without incurring EDGE roaming charges.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the advice.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 08:24 PM

Just go to Amazon.com and look under unlocked phones. You will find a variety of unlocked phones to use an international SIM card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules