Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Check out Mira -Microsofts latest home device !

Check out Mira -Microsofts latest home device !
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2002, 07:51 PM

Announced today in Germany.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2002, 07:56 PM

Announced or shipping? It was the high light of CES (I think it was CES...) a few months ago. From what I remember it used 802.11b (or whatever) to get data from your home PC. It was little more then a portable flat display.

Interesting idea, I've thought about such a product for a few years...but it yet remains to be seen if it will be practicable in the marketplace.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

JonoG4
Senior User
Mar 13, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>Announced or shipping? It was the high light of CES (I think it was CES...) a few months ago. From what I remember it used 802.11b (or whatever) to get data from your home PC. It was little more then a portable flat display.

Interesting idea, I've thought about such a product for a few years...but it yet remains to be seen if it will be practicable in the marketplace.</STRONG>

Yep, Microsoft can afford to try out new products like that. $500,000,000 on XBOX marketing?
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

GK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2002, 08:02 PM

just announced, they have a few prototypes, but no shipping date yet.

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 13, 2002, 08:09 PM

i'll take a couple... i hate having to use my pc for web surfing, so much wasted power... so i make it fold in the background

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2002, 08:14 PM

Who's the dead fish holding it? Ewww, slimy!

Of course, the new iMac's screen just begs to be taken off and carried around. It would have been so cool if that had been a feature. Surf the Aqua web from the couch.

Actually, I saw a few of these on TechTV the other day. They were all PCs in the tablet (processors, drives, etc.) I would rather just have a touchscreen LCD that communicated with my computer.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 14, 2002, 02:11 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 10:31 PM. )

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2002, 02:16 AM

What? A Windows machine without Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

You Want This?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>

When I use a web browser... I also end up using the keyboard (for entering URL's, searching Google, sending IM's, and posting messages on MacNN, etc.).

So unless I set up some canned scripts for all of my common tasks... it's going to be pretty hard for me to use such a device... even if it came with a stylus. A touch screen can only do so much... though they're great for withdrawing cash from ATM's. Heh. Heh.

Best of luck to them, but for now, I'll stick with my 12" iBook with AirPort, thank you very much.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: daimoni ]</STRONG>
There's a real movie on C|Net. The 15" version is a computer. Pulls out of a base unit (with keyboard) to become a tablet PC. The 10" version is more of a secondary monitor/input device for your system. Phillips is going to manufacture these. Microsoft amazes me that they can take the ho-hum ideas about computing and make them even more boring. Oh, well. Good for them Americans are boring too!!!

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 14, 2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>What? A Windows machine without Ctrl-Alt-Delete?</STRONG>
Right click on Taskbar, select Task Manager

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2002, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>

Right click on Taskbar, select Task Manager</STRONG>
If this thing is supposed to be wireless and stuff, how do you right click without a mouse? A stilus, with two buttons?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2002, 09:57 AM

Another solution for a problem that does not exist.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Matsu
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 10:49 AM

utterly useless device.

too big to hold with one hand and peck at with the other. Might as well just keep it on a desk. Battery life? Weight? Keyboard? Cost? That's right people, congrats, you've just overpaid for an amputated, (and heavy) laptop who's major selling feature (as a detachabkle monitor) is the thing that makes it simultaneously too expensive as well as too difficult to use.

Where are you going to prop it up when you want to type? At the desk. Unless, of course you're going to hold the thing with one hand and use the keyboard with the other.

Can you take it with you? Nope. Too big to pocket. And if it's too big for that, you might as well throw in an input system that works fast (ie, a keyboard)
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2002, 12:27 PM

I think it's an interesting idea, but why not just have some apps on something like a wireless PDA?

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 12:50 PM

Matsu, might be right. While I love my ACD 22" & iMac Flat Panel Display, neither one are suited for pick-em up and go-a-surfin travel.

For one, both suck down far too much power for a battery which makes it even heaver, two a tablet that size IS too large.

It needs to be more of the Star Trek TNG PADD size item with 50+ battery life hours. I wouldn't expect something like that to be on the market for more than a decade.

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2002, 12:55 PM

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2002, 01:13 PM

I could see this thing being used in a few specialized markets, but never for the average home user.

I'd love to have a smaller, Mac based tablet system for my medical office. (Pull up records, labs, charting, maybe voice recognition dictation or at least very good handwriting recognition)

...that doesn't mean that Apple SHOULD come out with a product like this as I have no idea of the profitability of a tablet PC. I know that the Wintel tablets have sucked, but I would think a Mac version would at least function better. (Sell better...hard to say.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2002, 01:22 PM

This thing will make the G4 Cube look like a success.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 03:38 PM

jeezes� this thing is worthless�

� You'll need your 2 hands to use it
� You can only use it for surfing, no word processing
� You'll need to be nearby a base station for wireless networking
� No keyboard: typing URL's? mail? word processing?
� cd writer? I doubt there'll be one in it� hard disk? battery life?
� Probably very very expensive - I bed the iBook is cheaper
� The advantage of a PDA over a portable is that it's so small; you can put it in your pocket. With this thing you'll need a carrying case, or you'll damage the screen. And probably you'll need a keyboard for typing faster� so what's the difference with a laptop???

You can exactly do the same with an iBook with build-in airport card. This thing isn't more "portable" then an iBook.
I'm too lazy to subscribe to this forum, so I'm a guest.
I'm too lazy to deal with errors, so I bought a Mac.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 04:01 PM

This is the problem I see with it. Many companies believe people want to surf the web anywhere in the house. I don't think that's true for most people. I believe most people have a specific room, desk, space, etc. that they use for internet/computing use. I think a lot of people like going to this predefined space to get away from the family, rigors of life and so forth and use the computer to tap into the internet.

I grew up eating meals only in the dining room. Today I still feel uncomfortable having a meal in bed or in front of the TV. Its just not what I use to. Imagine having all of your kitchen applicances moved to your bedroom. Nothing would have changed but the location. And that change in location would completely freak you out. Or imagine having your toilet in the middle of the living room with just a curtain around it. That wouldn't feel right either.

My point is. I don't think most people want to be surfing the internet, writing e-mails while in the kitchen cooking dinner, or while sitting on the sofa watching tv, or sitting on the toilet. It might sound cool, but once you actually get to do it, it somehow wouldn't feel right. Thats why I think this thing will fail for the time being. Maybe in a couple decades peoples habits will change.

eep!
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 04:10 PM

to all those people complaining of no keyboard. winXP has a software keyboard built-in even on desktops.
i think you're also more likely to hold it like a clip-board (on the forearm) as opposed to a pda (in the palm)
ever try to use a laptop standing up?
i think it might sell quite well in a few markets, but as said before not really for the home people.
besides, i want a colour newton

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 14, 2002, 05:08 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 10:33 PM. )

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2002, 05:26 PM

Does it come with a hook...to hang on a wall?

v0id7
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 06:37 PM

useless.

[for lack of a more insightful post]
_______void_______

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2002, 07:21 PM

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules