Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help me put together a DV station for work

Help me put together a DV station for work
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 16, 2003, 03:31 PM

I've just been told by my boss that his boss wants our in-house advertising group to start creating DV/multimedia material, in addition to our typical print work. We've created Flash and video projects before with outside vendors, but he wants to bring as much of this work inside as possible. I was asked if I cared to be "point man" on this endeavor and I enthusiastically accepted.

Trouble is I don't know much at all about DV. I'm happy to learn, but I could use some starter advice, particularly re: brands and models to buy. I know I'll need a Mac workstation (naturally!) with FCP 4 and a Cinema Display HD. I also need to scope out:

- A DV camera
- Accessories for the camera (tripod, etc)
- A decent microphone (for VO)
- A few simple, all-purpose lighting pieces. I don't have the facilities to set up a proper studio, but I'd like some pointers on putting together a fairly portable, general-purpose lighting solution (is there such a thing?).
- A white screen for backdrop and a green screen for composite shots.

I've started to scope out cameras and liked the look of the Panasonic AG-DVX100, but would appreciate recommendations on other models. And of course, any suggestions about the other stuff will be most welcome.

Finally, if anyone knows of other good forums devoted to DV, particularly for up-and-comers like me, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks all.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 16, 2003, 05:45 PM

I'll give a novice's advice to get the ball rolling (k2director and other pros can give actual experiences). In no particular order or reason...

Regarding hardware, install addtional hard drives for FCP work--a RAID if you can (2x whatever size drives).

Do you need FCP? If only dealing with DV, you might find FC Express may suffice--save some money.

An overriding question, I suppose, is "What will you be creating?" What are the deliverables? This will help dictate equipment needs.

Check out www.2-pop.com

As a lark, I subscribed to DV magazine. I don't know how well regarded it is by professionals, but a whole new world opened to this hobbyist.

Purchase or checkout from a library a basic camera technique book--and an editing book.

I think I raised more questions than answers, sorry. I'm shooting a friend's wedding in September (she thinks since I have a camera, I know what I'm doing), and I'm trying to bone up, so I don't screw it up.

More links:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...age_index.html

http://www.lafcpug.org/
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 05:22 PM

A RAID is excessive if you're just doing DV. If you plan to do anything with uncompressed video then get the fastest SCSI RAID you can get your hands on.

If you are going to be using external FireWire HDs for storage make sure they have the Oxford 911 chipset. Make sure the HD is 7200 RPMs. 5400 RPM drives are usually sufficient for DV, but you risk dropping frames on long captures. Also look for an 8 MB memory buffer rather than a 2 MB buffer.

I recommend getting as much screen real estate as you can. Cinema Displays are really nice for editing (especially with the window layout presets in FCP 4), and I'd say dual Cinema Displays are as ideal as it gets, but you can always use CRT monitors if you need to cut costs.

Also highly recommended is an external video monitor. You can just use a TV for this, but there are also professional models with many fine-tuning adjustments and support for tons of other formats (Sony seems to make the best ones). Tese are great to give you an accurate idea of what to expect on a TV when you're done editing your project and dump it to tape.

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 11:14 PM

The DVX100 is becoming the standard here in L.A.

People will argue for the XL-1 or the PD150, but the DVX covers 90% of the area those 2 cameras cover and then go beyond with the 24P/30P capability.

Frankly, you should get started with a 3rd party consultant (not somebody in sales at whatever equip. vendor you choose) to get you going on this so you don't over/underspend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules