Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC/Panther iCard

WWDC/Panther iCard
WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 10:47 PM

I received this today in an e-mail from Apple. The subject was "Steve Jobs Invites You to WWDC" and it contained the following iCard:

No doubt others will have received this too. I though it was just a little strange, there are no links directing you to further information and just a big logo for the picture. The other thing I though was interesting was the, "I will be worth it.", line. Apple have used lines like this before when they are going to demo/release something they consider pretty impressive, it will be interesting to see what they have instore for us. Then again I might just be reading way too much into something that contains less than 50 words.

Wesley

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 10:49 PM

If only I could take Steve Jobs up on that offer

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 10:57 PM

The other thing I though was interesting was the, "I will be worth it.", line.
Steve Jobs worth it? Hell yeh

I got the same e-mail, in fact most ADC developers got it...seems a little personal and initially thats what I thought "ah a nice ecard from steve inviting to wwdc for free".
Luke

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:02 PM

Think they'll have a QuickTime stream or Sat coordinates for those of us who have the really really old analog big freakin dishes?

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Think they'll have a QuickTime stream or Sat coordinates for those of us who have the really really old analog big freakin dishes?
There will be a stream of Steve's keynote as always, keep your eye on the WWDC page, a few days before the keynote, the page where the stream will be accessible from will become available.

WM

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 12:07 AM

Hi all I got 1 of them too, the only thing is that I haven't the funds to make the trip.

Oh well maybe next year, oh wait i've been saying that for awhile now.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2003, 01:16 AM

I just got my freebie ticket

Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. On one hand, it's supposed to be the end-all, be-all of Apple conventions. On the other hand I'm thinking "are these just glorified lectures?". We'll see.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 03:35 AM

Cynical interpretation: registration's particularly low this year. Kind of understandable, really. Panther will be new and cool (I hope), but what new amazing APIs will be revealed that really warrant forking over the dough? It'll all be in the on-line docs soon enough. The economy's in a slump. Can't afford to spend where it's unnecessary.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 03:59 AM

Got the same email as well... kind of c00L

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
There will be a stream of Steve's keynote as always,
I don't ever remember Steve's WWDC keynotes being streamed in the past. It definitely wasn't last year. That doesn't rule out the possibility of it this year, of course.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 05:26 AM

The fact that they're still pushing this makes it seem like perhaps they're still struggling to fill the halls?

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
The fact that they're still pushing this makes it seem like perhaps they're still struggling to fill the halls?
Well they know what they can do to get more people in...reduce the stupidly high price to something more affordable and I'll go if they pay for my plane fare

Question: When do people think the next WWDC is? If its after June 6th 2004 then i'll be 18 and be aloud to go
Luke

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 07:13 AM

Why must they keep rubbing it in?

I wanted to go - but It clashes with a Wedding of one of my best friends.

Shame - SanFran is a great city and I would have loved to go on the Apple Campus Bash.

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I don't ever remember Steve's WWDC keynotes being streamed in the past. It definitely wasn't last year. That doesn't rule out the possibility of it this year, of course.
I though it was streamed last year... I thought it was the first one I ever watched. Oh well even if it isn't there will be almost live coverage from many Mac info sources.

WM

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
I though it was streamed last year... I thought it was the first one I ever watched. Oh well even if it isn't there will be almost live coverage from many Mac info sources.

WM
It was covered on the web live - I remember thinking "is that a joke" when I read 'Steve Jobs brought a coffin on stage.'

But then Apple put up a stream after the event - I distinctly remember watching the coffin (and hearing the laughter)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
But then Apple put up a stream after the event - I distinctly remember watching the coffin (and hearing the laughter)
As I said in other threads, c|net put up a brief clip of his "OS 9 funeral".

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 09:36 PM

Really I never got to see that... anyone with a link?

hayesk
Jun 12, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Well they know what they can do to get more people in...reduce the stupidly high price to something more affordable and I'll go if they pay for my plane fare
It's actually not that expensive - considering key Apple developers are present and accessible. The courses are really good too.

The problem is the hype has led too many people believe this is a consumer type event and expect a cheaper price, lots of new products, etc. Often people forget it's for developers.

It's expensive sure. But it's worth it.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Really I never got to see that... anyone with a link?
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-899914.html but the video link doesn't work any more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules