Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone see the new Ren & Stimpy?

Anyone see the new Ren & Stimpy?
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 04:22 PM

Is it me or did it, well, suck?

It just seemed very witless and forced. Not as bad as the post-John K. shorts Nickelodeon produced, but pretty bad. The "Dr. Stupid" bit was funny though.

[Edit: It sucks that Billy West no longer does Stimpy. I assume he and John K. aren't exactly pals after West took over Ren back in the day.]

Gary the Rat, to my surprise, was actually quite funny and well-done; this might be a show I stick with.

Anyone else see it?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 04:32 PM

who's doing the voice of stimpy now?

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jun 29, 2003, 05:32 PM

Im gonna have to agree with you. I had my hopes up and expected a bit more out of it. It might get better though, It was only the first episode. I thought Gary the Rat was pretty good too Im going to definitely keep watching.
are you lightfooted?

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Mark E:
who's doing the voice of stimpy now?
Eric Bauza. His Stimpy voice sounds similar, but not as funny as Billy West.

Saying the episode sucked would be an understatement. I kept wanting to change the channel, but I just kept hoping it would get better. It didn't, and they stretched maybe a few minutes worth of material into a half hour. Maybe this one was just a fluke.

I turned it off afterward, but I read that they showed an older one an hour later, the episode called "Stimpy's Invention." Stimpy invents a hat which, at the push of a button, can change Ren's mood and make him happy. He called it a Happy Helmet.

I wasn't that young when the show first aired, but I don't think I got a single one of those gay references. But in retrospect they were funny as hell.

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:
I wasn't that young when the show first aired, but I don't think I got a single one of those gay references. But in retrospect they were funny as hell.
A lot of people missed them at the time, I think. That was another thing that sucked about the new episode--they took what used to be a sly running in-joke and inflated it like a Macy's parade balloon.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

SomeToast
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
That was another thing that sucked about the new episode--they took what used to be a sly running in-joke and inflated it like a Macy's parade balloon.
Exactly. I don't recall having it repeatedly beat into my head with a baseball bat on the old show.

Set up a season pass on the Tivo for the "Classic" episodes, though (ok, ok, for the new one too -- hopefully there's still some water left in the well).

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 30, 2003, 03:08 AM

ren & stimpy used to make me laugh more than a drunken scaught post. RIP.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2003, 08:32 PM

i haven't seen the new ren & stimpy, i liked the older version...will have to check it out.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

jckalen
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 11:40 PM

As a huge fan of the originals, I have to say that I hope they get over the "adult" aspect and get back to the irreverant humor found in the original. I think that a certain level of overt self-imposed censorship made the originals funnier.

LOG! SALVE!!!
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

Forum Links
Forum Rules