Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > XCode project sharing

XCode project sharing
absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 12:57 PM

Why is XCode so simplistic in its' project setup? I remember doing quite complex things with CodeWarrior and being able to move them around (thanks to relative paths, etc), but XCode seems to keep absolute paths for everything. My brother and I are collaborating on a project - I am writing a framework and he is writing an app. Every time we try to share our XCode files we have to change a lot of stuff (search paths, etc).

Is there an easier way?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 07:43 PM

Xcode does support relative paths; you may have to change it when you get info on the file in Xcode. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I do the exact same thing, and it works fine for me (same project on two machines).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2004, 10:35 AM

XCode does store a lot of absolute paths by default, which makes sharing a project extremely difficult.

That's unacceptable behavior for a decent IDE, and it should be fixed.

Wade

absmiths  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
XCode does store a lot of absolute paths by default, which makes sharing a project extremely difficult.

That's unacceptable behavior for a decent IDE, and it should be fixed.

Wade
Yes, I find myself constantly going into the project file and manually changing the paths. I also have started doing all work on these projects in /usr rather than in home directories, so that resolves a lot of issues as well.
( Last edited by absmiths; Apr 15, 2004 at 01:14 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules