Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Running PB 400 unattended for several months

Running PB 400 unattended for several months
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 05:13 AM

I plan to run my Rev A PB 400Mhz running EvoCam for about three to four months unattended.

Has anybody done that before, is it safe to do so ?

Is there a way to monitor the heat and other parameters in the PB using remote access software ?

Any help is greatly appreciated .

Thanks

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 09:21 AM

If it has a static IP, use VNC. Go to macupdate and download it there. Directions in the documentation.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 19, 2004, 10:29 AM

Or, if you value your sanity because you don't have forever to wait for VNC to draw screen updates, buy Netopia's Timbuktu application, which does the same thing as VNC, except that it does it right.

And be sure to do something to keep the PB from getting dust on the screen and keys.

tooki

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 11:39 AM

You might wanna be careful with it, time and time again I've read here in the forums that a PB should not be run continuously for a long period of time, and they never stated the amount of time but I would think that 3-4 months is long. EvoCam doesn't look like it would be much for the 'book but I'd give it a test run before doing something important with it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Or, if you value your sanity because you don't have forever to wait for VNC to draw screen updates, buy Netopia's Timbuktu application, which does the same thing as VNC, except that it does it right.

And be sure to do something to keep the PB from getting dust on the screen and keys.

tooki
My experience with VNC has been strikingly positive. Screen redraws are speedy and snappy. Timbuktu is a great program, but it costs a pretty penny. That and the Timbuktu security method is proprietary and not open to review. With VNC you can easily tunnel it through ssh.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
You might wanna be careful with it, time and time again I've read here in the forums that a PB should not be run continuously for a long period of time, and they never stated the amount of time but I would think that 3-4 months is long. EvoCam doesn't look like it would be much for the 'book but I'd give it a test run before doing something important with it.
Where is the difference running six hours a day for a year, or continuously for four months?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Where is the difference running six hours a day for a year, or continuously for four months?
About 700 hours
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by MountainMac:
About 700 hours
Sorry, terrible example. Eight hour a day for a year would've been closer.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 09:17 PM

iREZ:
You might wanna be careful with it, time and time again I've read here in the forums that a PB should not be run continuously for a long period of time, and they never stated the amount of time but I would think that 3-4 months is long.
Meh. Ignore them. I have a 400 MHz Pismo running as my mail server and audio jukebox. It's been running 24/7 for years now. No problems at all. I have it high up in a closet, where there's not much dust. If it were elsewhere I'd cover it with a very thing cloth.

There's software to automatically reboot after a period of freezing, and make sure that all your apps are set to start after login. This way everything returns to a useful state. Set up remote login via ssh, and invest in Apple Remote Desktop (similar to Netopia Timbuktu).

Enjoy!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 09:21 PM

Well with a rebooting software installed I wouldn't think too much about it, hopefully nothing happens to it. Best of luck to ya, and sorry for being soo wrong.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 10:30 PM

Hey, there's no such thing as "so wrong". It was a good guess, a good opinion. It was conservative, and he wouldn't have damaged his hardware following your advice, and that's the way it ought to be.

It turns out that PowerBooks can handle more than you've stressed yours, and that's good news for folks who want to try something like this.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules