Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How are your 17" 1ghz powerbooks holding up?

How are your 17" 1ghz powerbooks holding up?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 05:30 PM

Hi,

I just sold my 17" 1.33 powerbook recently. But funny enough, I think a great deal may come my way. I may be able to get a 17" 1ghz for $800.

What do you think about that? Is that a good price for a several year old machine? How are your 17" 1ghz holding up and perfoming these days? Does it handle most tasks?

My pismo definitely does much of what I want it to do, but I'm thinking that this may be a good deal not to pass up.

Let me know,
Thanks!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Aug 23, 2005, 06:51 PM

My 1.5 GHz 17" has held up beautifully. Except for the dreaded white spot problem on the screen which Apple replaced in only a 3 day turnaround under AppleCare, this PowerBook has been solid, virtually trouble free, and with the maxed RAM and VRAM, it's still a solid performer that I have yet use to its full potential.

I baby it though, and now have two Brenthaven products (business tote or backpack) to protect it when travelling.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 23, 2005, 07:07 PM

17" 1ghz Rev. A here. Awesome. Only had one problem in over 2 years, as my logic board fried out, they replaced it with a 4 day turnaround. No problems since, and I'm going to keep this baby until it dies, or the new PowerBooks come out in a couple of years. It's beautiful to work on, as you probably know by your experience with the 1.33 model.

Max out the Ram if you can to 2gb.

ibook_steve
Aug 23, 2005, 09:01 PM

I'm sorry but why would you sell a faster machine and consider buying a slower version of the same model? I could understand if it was a different model, but it's the exact same machine...only slower. I'm guessing you sold the 1.33 because, as you state, the Pismo does what you need it to do. Then I have to ask why you bought the 1.33 in the first place!

I don't get this at all.

Steve

budster101
Baninated
Aug 23, 2005, 09:05 PM

He probably came across the great deal on the 1Ghz after he sold the 1.33Ghz model... and he's just making sure of reliability as far as I can tell. Whoa. I'm usually the one that is suspiscious....

$800 for a 1Ghz 17" is a very good deal.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 09:52 PM

Mine is still going strong, boosted the ram to 1.5GB and now boot from an external drive, so it runs cooler and faster than ever.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 10:14 PM

Mine (see sig) is awesome. No problems at all (knocking on wood). Then again, I've only had it for 2 month, but I use it like it's my bitch.

Budster, you show great ability for deductive reasoning. I am envious.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 23, 2005, 10:16 PM

Was that sarcasm? or a genuine compliment. Can't tell in these forums anymore.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2005, 10:17 PM

Used my 17" rev A almost every day for, what, two years? use it every day for at least a few hours. works perfectly. very pleased. gig of ram, 1ghz. wish it had a bigger hd, but i just clean up the drive every few months. yeah, i know i could get a larger drive, but I dump stuff to the servers and all is well.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 23, 2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks in any case.

(Too lazy to edit)

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2005, 10:47 PM

Hi,

I sold the 17" 1.33 a couple of weeks ago simply because I was using the pismo so much more than the 17". i figure now was the time to get the most for my money out of the 17". I see prices declining quite a bit on ebay these days as it seems that many really are holding off from purchasing these g4 powerbooks. That's why I sold mine. Plus, I was always worried about it since it was in such good condition.

The one that I may be able to get, and probably will, is not as perfect. No dents or anything like that, but does have a few minor scratches here and there. The screen is great though and the battery is new. But definitely not as pristine as the one that I used to have. I sold mine a couple weeks back for $1600. This 1ghz is $800 with 1gb memory. I think I will just buy it and think about it later. Being used already, I know that I won't be as concerned about scratches and things like that. I must have some psychological issues on that one, but I think I would actually have some more piece of mind with some thing that is cheaper and not as perfect. Then again, i could always sell it again.

I wonder if the 1ghz will run cooler than my other 1.33 which would get quite warm after simple browsing and stuff like that. Any ideas on that?

I should be getting it soon to play with. Thanks for the opinions!

Forum Links
Forum Rules