Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 60gb ipod photo hd replacement

60gb ipod photo hd replacement
iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 04:04 PM

Hi, can I replace my 60gb hard drive in my ipod photo with a generic drive (obviously same manufacturer and model #), or must I buy a "genuine" apple replacement part for the drive.

I ask because I thought I read somewhere something about the drives in these models being special, and to use firewire they must be apple drives (does not make a lot of sense to me though).
thanks

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 02:49 PM

Supposedly you can. I think someone did this with a 4GB mini turning it into a 6 or 8GB mini. Search this forum for the old thread where someone claims to have done it.

You can get the drive from Newegg.com. After installing, perform a full restore from iTunes and it should be up and running.

You could try putting in an 80GB drive!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

brza
Jan 18, 2007, 11:38 PM

Yes, you can. Follow these steps... I've done it, I've seen someone else do it, but if you do it, it's YOUR fault if something goes wrong. Although, I found it to be very easy... getting the hard drive out will not involve one single screw. ANd opening the ipod won't result in stuff flying all over the place.

Use something like a flathead screwdriver... a small one, preferably. Pry open your ipod. near each corner, one the top (white part) is a little clip that just snaps into the base. So, just work around it and pry it open.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE HARD DRIVE. IF YOU SET IT DOWN, BE GENTLE. DONT SHAKE, POKE ETC. IT.

The cable is an IDE cable - a mini version of what most computers use to connect their hard drives. I got it off easily by holding the two ends with my finger nails to sort of grip the edge and slowly pulled it off, one side a little bit at a time. (you're pulling it off of the hard drive, not the circuit board)

The foam that's glued on the back can be scraped off using a good blade, and you can get the company and model info so you get the right one.

The first guy I saw change his used a similar model by the same company and it worked just fine. I don't recommend going outside the limit of hard drive space that the ipods already come in... I have a feeling that they can handle up to 128 gigs, but don't go above 60 (i think thats the biggest)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 09:13 AM

I have found a dulled pocket knife is a good tool to use to separate the iPod's shell. Use the whole blade (not just the tip) to split the iPod open. Otherwise, you need a strong plastic knife-like tool. Be carefull not to damage the iPod.

Don't cut yourself.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 11:30 AM

I have changed out the HD in my iPod. unfortunately, the one I swapped failed after about 3 weeks.

Anyway, it's a relatively easy task. Here's some instructions:
Josh Highland's Blog / Journal / Whatever

That's for 4th Gen, though a 5th gen isn't much different.

i got my drive from DriveGuys.com. They've got a good warranty if your drive fails.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm making one more attempt to fix my drive with drive repair utils. It's not lookin good tho. So I'll be back to this thread. And thanks for the store link.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 11:33 AM

ouch, get a ipod opener tool, using a knife/screwdriver on a $400 ipod sends shivers up my spine!

you can get one like this:

iPod Safe-Open Case Tool: iPodMods

it will not leave horrible scratches.

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 01:59 PM

well, my last ditch efforts to repair my hard drive in my 60GB ipod have failed. I already placed an order for a repalcement drive (from eWiz.com - only $132+ship!) .

In preparation, and curiosity I already opened up my ipod - thanks for the tool link, but as I was looking at a tiny screw driver and my shiny ipod, I decided not to go that route before I made any major scratches/gouges.

So looking around my desk I found the perfect item! a guitar pick! nice and smooth plastic and firm enough to pry open hte ipod! Worked great! So, I'm ready to pop the new drive in once it arrives.

Thanks again.

bemayo
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 09:39 AM

My 60gb iPod Photo drive has just died on me. I am trying to find a replacement that is as economical as possible. Does anyone know of a resource that will tell me compatible hard drives and/or places to purchase from, or have personal experience they can relate? So far, the cheapest thing I have found billed as a replacement is $130. eWiz shows the mk6008gah for $108.36, but I am not certain this drive will work. I could even live with a 40gb drive at this particular time, if the price were right.

Any information is much appreciated!
Bill
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules