Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can not print to Window Printers in Mac OS X 10.5.2 lab

Can not print to Window Printers in Mac OS X 10.5.2 lab
egadsby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2008, 09:40 PM

Dear Friends,

I am hoping the community can help us with a problem that is stumping me. We have updated a few labs to Leopard with great success.

This weekend I updated a lab and now I can not print using SMB (to a Windows print server). The computer asks the users to authenticate after a job is issued just like I have seen on other Leopard installs but this time it does not print. Instead the local queue reports that authentication is required. Resuming shows the same authenticate box but the job will not start on the server. Our other Leopard labs print so the server is working normally. This is the CUPS log:

I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:02 -0400] [Job 17] Started filter /Library/Printers/hp/filter/hpPostProcessing.bundle/Contents/MacOS/hpPostProcessing (PID 443)
I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:02 -0400] [Job 17] Started backend /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb (PID 444)
I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:02 -0400] [Job 17] Authenticated by "".
E [22/Mar/2008:14:01:03 -0400] [Job 17] Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
E [22/Mar/2008:14:01:04 -0400] [Job 17] Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
E [22/Mar/2008:14:01:05 -0400] [Job 17] Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:05 -0400] Saving printers.conf...
E [22/Mar/2008:14:01:05 -0400] PID 444 (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 2!
I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:05 -0400] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:05 -0400] [Job 17] Backend returned status 2 (authentication required)

The one thing that stands out as odd here is this "I [22/Mar/2008:14:01:02 -0400] [Job 17] Authenticated by ""." I would think the current user name would be between the two "'s. Right now we have a lab that can not print. Ideas? Thanks!
Peace, Love, & Understanding,
Eric Thomas Gadsby
Goucher College’s Departments of Art and Science
[email protected]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 10:39 AM

Well, I dunno if your problem has to do with printing in a mixed environment, but here's my $ 0.02.

Apple revamped CUPS with the Security Update 2008-2 (March 2008). This new CUPS broke printing for some (many ?) users completely. My printer spool just stopped (went to pause) and wouldn't finish processing the job.

Tried all kinds of things, no dice.

I had to revert to pre Security Update by rolling back my OS with TimeMachine. After I was back to pre Security Update, printing worked w/o a hitch.

So, you might just be one more victim of f****d up CUPS.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 04:02 PM

Several solutions reported here:

http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...s/#post3627194

Seems like a bit of luck is involved.

-t

Peteflynn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 09:39 PM

Hi all,
i have also had this lovely problem ( tree connect failed etc) given to me from Apple in the latest security update. i have managed a workaround that i hope helps:

It involves adding printers manually through the Advanced button on the Add Printer window
1. System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Click the + button to add a printer
3. If you have the Advanced button click it (if not the right-click on the top of the window and select Customise and then add the Advanced button)
4. Select Windows in the Type menu
5. the device should (?) remain as Another Device
6. after the smb:// type in "username:password@workgroup/server/printername" where each of those are replaced with your specific values (nb don't use the quotes)

You can find the workgroup, server and printer name in the same add printer dialogue. if you add a Windows printer (windows server that is) normally you just click through the layers: workgroup>server>printername.

the problem (at least for me) is that the user name and password are not being sent to the server automatically. This workaround sends them manually.

I really hopes this helps, and apologies if anything is unclear

Pete

srcereja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 10:51 AM

Pete, thanks for the advice. The recent SU broke my smb printing as well. Your suggestion of using the Advanced setup and giving it the username and password worked flawlessly.
Mike

matias_chile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 11:46 AM

Really thanks, this was really bothering me. I was just a couple of minutes ago to install xp on my mac.
thanks for your help.
The only diference between your method an the one that worked for me was that I had to enter cups configuration was from safari, i could make it work from fax and printers.
To configure it from safari go to cups ip its:
http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/
Then in put modify printer and change the printer location as you explained adding my windows server user and pass.
After that everything worked great.
Many thanks from Chile.
Matias

robot55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peteflynn View Post
Hi all,
i have also had this lovely problem ( tree connect failed etc) given to me from Apple in the latest security update. i have managed a workaround that i hope helps:

It involves adding printers manually through the Advanced button on the Add Printer window
1. System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Click the + button to add a printer
3. If you have the Advanced button click it (if not the right-click on the top of the window and select Customise and then add the Advanced button)
4. Select Windows in the Type menu
5. the device should (?) remain as Another Device
6. after the smb:// type in "usernameassword@workgroup/server/printername" where each of those are replaced with your specific values (nb don't use the quotes)
I really hopes this helps, and apologies if anything is unclear

Pete
It worked out perfectly for me!
thanks a lot!

tketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2008, 07:29 PM

Pete had things pretty much in order. However if you would like an alternative set of instructions to look at that might be a little bit clearer - we recently ran into this issue at a university that I work for had to create a solution for printing to windows print servers from OS X 10.5

Tekbite: AD/Printing in OS X 10.5

Hopefully this set of instructions helps you out. If you have any other questions feel free to post them in the comments and I can further aide you in setting up/trouble shooting some mixed environment issues that you may be having.

Forum Links
Forum Rules