Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac in Windows local file path question

Mac in Windows local file path question
iomatic
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 12:33 PM

So, I'm migrating back to Macs from Windows at work (still Mac at home); and we depend on mounted share paths to well, share files, and such: d:\\blah\blah\file

What happens to these links on Macs/samba/Win server? Is there a way to make them work on the Mac verbatim (I'm doubting this); is there a shell script that 'remaps' the Win-letter directory to a fake letter on the Mac... and make symlink.... argh... get the problem here?

Is the answer, "no"?

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 12:37 PM

Actually; I think this is it:

macosxhints.com - Mount Windows shares on proper paths in OS X

Anyone else with another workaround?

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Jun 6, 2008, 01:18 PM

Use the format:

smb:\\share\volume

You do this in the Go menu of the Finder and then select "Connect to server" (or press cmd-K).

If you need to share files from your Mac to Windows machines, go to the Sharing preferences in the system preferences and enable Windows file sharing.

This is also all documented in the Finder help. Just search for "connect to windows."

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 01:14 AM

Oh yeah, back to this. I mean, if someone on a Windows network sends you a list of links, it's going to be \\sharevolume\volume\directory\etc....

So, Windows users will see it fine, but Mac users will not be able to use them. The question was is there a hack to make the Mac see Windows-style local/network links like say, the above-mentioned smb:\\ protocol link without any user intervention? You know?

ibook_steve
Jul 7, 2008, 02:25 PM

Unfortunately, no. In my situation at work, anybody can get to folders on the company server on a Windows machine with this:

\\<my company>\data\ABG\...

This is a Windows shortcut and does not use the actual volume name. So looking at the properties on a Windows machine to get the volume name, I have to use the following on my Mac:

smb://<share>/abg$/...

There's no easy way that I know of to get around this. Maybe others have ideas.

Steve

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 06:16 PM

It's not \\share\volume or \\sharevolume\volume or anything silly like that. It's \\host\share

If you have a share called "Pictures" on a host/computer called "HomeComputer", it's \\HomeComputer\Pictures on a Windows box, and smb://HomeComputer/Pictures on the Mac.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 08:15 PM

erm; right. Anyway, ibook_steve answered the question; not it's not going to be simple to translate Windows shares into Mac/samba shares transparently. blah.

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
It's not \\share\volume or \\sharevolume\volume or anything silly like that. It's \\host\share

If you have a share called "Pictures" on a host/computer called "HomeComputer", it's \\HomeComputer\Pictures on a Windows box, and smb://HomeComputer/Pictures on the Mac.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Use the format:

smb\share\volume

You do this in the Go menu of the Finder and then select "Connect to server" (or press cmd-K).

If you need to share files from your Mac to Windows machines, go to the Sharing preferences in the system preferences and enable Windows file sharing.

This is also all documented in the Finder help. Just search for "connect to windows."

Steve
reviving this--
so, does anyone in a corp. environ. receive Windows share links on your Macs, and have an automatic way of pulling them up (other than appending smb: to the link)?

ibook_steve
Sep 22, 2008, 05:32 PM

I thought I explained pretty well how to do this. You can search Versiontracker, but I don't know of any app that could do this automatically.

Steve

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2008, 05:50 PM

You did; I was wondering if there was an even more direct way of dealing with this (i.e., not having to change the URL at ALL from a Windows user, you know?)

Just seeing if anyone has a plug-in/hack/something that could automate this on the Mac (change a Windows URL to be SAMBA-friendly)

Forum Links
Forum Rules