Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Need to boot XP in Safe Mode (no BIOS)

Need to boot XP in Safe Mode (no BIOS)
OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 03:13 AM

I need to boot XP in safe mode to clean a virus but F8 doesn't work beacuse my mac boots with the Apple BIOS, any way I can do this from the command prompt or from XP itself?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2008, 07:53 AM

F8 should work regardless. The EFI system is supposed to emulate PC BIOS as needed, including raw keyboard entries like F8. Which Mac do you have? A laptop's F keys are somewhat different, and you need to use the "Fn" key to get those functions instead of the Apple functions with them. Also keep in mind that your Mac, whatever model you have, is probably going quite fast compared to PC hardware, so you may just not have gotten the F8 key pressed early enough.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 10:24 AM

I have a MacBook, but ever since this virus, the boot process takes maybe 5 minutes instead of 45 seconds which it used to. Also, I have BootCamp set up so the F keys work without the Fn button pressed, but only in XP. If I want to change the volume etc, I press Fn. I'll try F8 again.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2008, 11:09 AM

Depending on the virus, you may just have to reinstall XP. Some of those bugs are BAD. And when you're up and running again, install a good AV package-XP is XP, whether you're running it on a PC or a Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Depending on the virus, you may just have to reinstall XP. Some of those bugs are BAD. And when you're up and running again, install a good AV package-XP is XP, whether you're running it on a PC or a Mac.
Hehe, Apple used to have that very warning on their Boot Camp website. It may be a Mac, but it's still Windows. It susceptible to viruses, trojans, and security vulnerabilities.

AVG is a decent free anti-virus, but it's getting worse and worse. I'm on the lookout for another free anti-virus.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules