Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Any way to tell if GPS is working?

Any way to tell if GPS is working?
iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 22, 2008, 09:38 AM

Hi all, is there any way to tell if the GOS is working, as opposed to just the cell tower triangulation? Sometimes it seems fairly accurate, other times not so much. Seems like with real GPS it should be very accurate all the time. How can I tell if the actual GPS is working?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2008, 09:41 AM

I believe the 3G switches between GPS and triangulation when it can't see enough satellites to do actual GPS navigation. I don't know if it tells you this or not, but that could explain your experience. Did the lower accuracy show up when you were deep in a parking garage, or in amongst tall buildings? Those two situations make it hard to get satellite signals.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2008, 09:46 AM

well, it's in my house, I could be in the same location and try a couple times and it seems to jump a bit change if I quit and try again. I'll try it outside and see if it is any better.

How accurate should it be (with real GPS)?

thanks!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2008, 01:33 PM

When the GPS locks on the blue circle disappears and is replaced by a blue pulsating dot. It is extremely accurate, it tracked me walking in my backyard. You can see the dot, representing your position, move as you walk. It works in my car, but not in any buildings I've tried it in.

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2008, 04:01 PM

ah, so if blue pulsating dot it is using GPS. Good to know. And I guess only tracks if using real GPS. Also, not working inside is what i am experiencing. Looks like it does work outside.
Thanks!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 06:48 PM

The GPS on the iphone seems to be rather wonkey and poorly done.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Quite the opposite. It's normal for a handheld GPS unit not to be able to lock onto a satellite when indoors. Outdoors it is remarkably accurate. It finds a signal fast and keeps the connection open regardless of bridges etc when driving.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Quite the opposite. It's normal for a handheld GPS unit not to be able to lock onto a satellite when indoors. Outdoors it is remarkably accurate. It finds a signal fast and keeps the connection open regardless of bridges etc when driving.
I am not talking about accuracy, I am talking about the dumb as dirt software. One example is that if you are tracking with gps and walk off screen it doesn't even re-centre itself so you can see yourself. The turn by turn instructions are also obvious omission as is being able to adjust your route or at least have it compensate.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 01:12 AM

Just wait for Garmin or TomTom's app.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 02:22 AM

One example is that if you are tracking with gps and walk off screen it doesn't even re-centre itself so you can see yourself.
I thought there was an option to keep the dot centered or to freeze the map.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 06:43 AM

I am not talking about accuracy, I am talking about the dumb as dirt software. One example is that if you are tracking with gps and walk off screen it doesn't even re-centre itself so you can see yourself. The turn by turn instructions are also obvious omission as is being able to adjust your route or at least have it compensate.
Still doesn't make it wonky. You're asking for a full blown GPS with the associated software to be thrown in. That's a value if several hundred dollars. If you're expecting that for free/included with the iPhone you'll bound to be disappointed. There will be complete functionality available, but it'll come at a price.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Still doesn't make it wonky. You're asking for a full blown GPS with the associated software to be thrown in. That's a value if several hundred dollars. If you're expecting that for free/included with the iPhone you'll bound to be disappointed. There will be complete functionality available, but it'll come at a price.
Oh come on, keeping a dot on screen is not something I need to pay hundreds of bucks for.
On top of all those things Apple didn't say "Iphone now with crippled low end GPS". They say GPS and it should do more than just a dot on the screen.

Also by wonky Google Maps now seems to crash like mad, have lags and the GPS is also way off by 50 feet or more most of the time unless I stop walking.

Xarthan
Jul 23, 2008, 11:44 AM

didn't the demo at WWDC show the GPS was centered and the map would move? (The one where they were driving in SF)
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
didn't the demo at WWDC show the GPS was centered and the map would move? (The one where they were driving in SF)
It does move if you set a destination but if you don't no dice.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 12:34 PM

Nah, just weak GPS antennas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules