Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cubase 4 lagging

Cubase 4 lagging
OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
May 18, 2009, 03:29 PM

Cubase 4 is lagging slightly when working with VST instrument tracks. The thing is, I had the exact same setup on a boot camp'd partition of XP, and had NO lag.

Here's one thing, in XP I had to disable the wireless card in order to get it to work, but I disable Airport in the upper right hand corner of the screen and it still lags. Is this actually disabling the wireless card? Because I'm thinking this might have something to do with it.

About every 15 seconds or so, it will skip and some instruments don't get heard, it's pretty annoying since I only have in this instance about 15 instruments loaded and I have a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook with 4GB of RAM. Shouldn't be ANY problems here as far as resources go.

I tried registering for the Cubase forums, but they emailed me a confirmation email that said I had to print this thing out and have it signed by my parent or guardian to use the forums, and mail it in. I think that's pretty retarded, considering i'm 25 years old, are they trying to NOT have people use their forums? Who mails in a form to use a php forum? Who mails ANYthing anymore?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2009, 03:45 PM

Have you updated Cubase to the last version?
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cub...274_Update.dmg

is it legal, or is it cracked? I have no experience with Cubase, but I do know that they've had weird quirks in cracked versions for *decades* that were purposely built-in to trigger when the software detected it had been cracked (it's not like the developers at Steinberg are stupid).

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2009, 03:47 PM

No, this is a legitimate copy of Cubase Essential 4.1.5 up to date. I know it's a hardware issue, I just can't figure out why in XP it would run perfect, but in OSX runs sluggish.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2009, 03:55 PM

The latest version of Cubase 4 is 4.5.2.

Deactivating Airport in the menu bar does turn off the wireless card.

Are you sure you're running Cubase in native mode, and not in Rosetta PPC emulation mode?

You MUST run it in native mode for it to work properly. If you have ANY non-universal-binary (i.e. non-Intel-native) VST plug-ins, THEY WILL NOT WORK if Cubase runs in native mode.

Check the Activity Viewer (make sure to show "All Processes", not just "My Processes") to see what's pulling CPU power. This will also show whether a process is Intel-native or Rosetta.

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2009, 03:59 PM

I just checked and I DO have 4.5.2 as well it is running natively (by this I mean the "Run Using Rosetta" is not checked under "Get Info").

The only thing pulling CPU power is cubase really. Everything else is about 1 or 2, while Cubase is about 50-60. This seems odd don't you think?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2009, 04:06 PM

Not really.

You're not using an aggregate device, though are you? (That's bundling several audio interfaces into one big one using the Core Audio aggregate device function.)

Can you set a slightly higher sample buffer in the Core Audio/audio driver settings? (Again, zero experience with Cubase)

Is there a setting to optimize VST performance for playback rather than latency or somesuch?

I'm afraid it's all stabbing in the dark on my part from here on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules