Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBs after processor announcements approx. when?

New MBs after processor announcements approx. when?
iomatic
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 07:26 PM

I'm trying to figure out how long between Intel processor releases and Apple's upgrades. At one point we knew to some extent (roughly) with PPC processors, but now we know with some certainty (yes?) how Intel releases processors and time between the an upgrade to the line is. The question is how long, and when can we expect the next cycle of upgrades?

Clearly, I'm shopping, but I'm in no hurry. If I buy now, and we're talking a few months, I'm OK with that. But if we hold out a few weeks, I wouldn't mind a bump.

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Jun 1, 2009, 08:34 PM

You can't go by official announcements since Apple gets parts from vendors probably long before any announcement. Lately, updates have been usually in spring and fall. You're not going to see any major laptop update at WWDC, if that's what you're asking.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 08:58 PM

Wasn't really thinking anything was going to happen with WWDC, as most of time it's nothing. I'll bet it's all about iPhone 3.0 and the like. It's their next source of major revenue, after all.

My question was more about when Intel releases a processor, what is the approximate/average timeframe that Apple introduces a speed bump or announcement, and where are we on that timeline-- best guesses?

Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 03:39 AM

When the MBs get their next update chances are Apple will be using processors already avaialble form Intel today (the P7/8/9/x00 series). IOW if you want to buy a MB you're not waiting fro new CPUs form Intel but rather for Apple to overhaul its line.

I expect a MB update in fall. Something could happen soon, but I'd expect that to be minor bumps (like what we just saw with the white MB). The major 2009 MB update will likely happen in Sep/Oct.

Felix
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2009, 04:35 AM

I am in the same situation. What matters to me is the release of Snow Leopard. Would be convenient to have it in the bag. I hope they announce the release date tomorrow. They ought to after Microsoft did theirs.
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2009, 08:42 AM

I'm in no rush to replace my 2 and a bit year old Macbook while the current processors are there. Mine is a 2.16GHz, and the current Macbook range is 2.0-2.4GHz. Other things have moved on like the graphics system and DDR3 RAM replacing DDR2, and the casing, but trading in for a unibody MB doesn't seem that much of an update to me..

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 03:10 PM

So they need a spec bump to the Al versions to "better" the white, lest they run into a marketing problem.

Probably right before school, is my guess. Also, what of the MacBook Pro line; are they top-of-spec Intel, or can they also be spec-bumped based on current Intel releases and production quantity (I don't know what the Intel mobile chipset releases are)?

Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2009, 04:20 PM

The MBP could be bumped (minor bump) right now. Better CPUs are available already. However if Apple is waiting for the new Calpella platform and Clarksfield CPU they'll be waiting until Sep/Oct.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 05:00 PM

Even three months after the recent spec bump?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2009, 06:12 PM

With the new architecture, clock speed isn't what it used to be.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 08:27 PM

Has there ever been a case where MBPs were upgraded 3 months later?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Has there ever been a case where MBPs were upgraded 3 months later?
Minor bumps can happen shortly after. The bump on the 15" from 2.53/2.8 to 2.66/2.93 was something like that. The 17" went from 2.5 to 2.66 GHz within three months. So a minor bump after only a few months is not entirely out of the question.

That said, I believe the current MBP will remain unchanged until fall. The UB MBs might see a minor bump soon though.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 08:58 AM

Within the last few weeks Gruber was saying that the unibody MacBooks would probably be updated to leapfrog the white ones' specs at WWDC, and that the former would get rebranded as MacBook Pros. Which would sort of be bringing us back to the PPC days of plastic iBooks and 3 sizes of metal PowerBooks. Daring Fireball's last big WWDC09 prediction thread doesn't make any mention of this, though, so maybe they've pushed it back.

Whether or not Apple sticks the "Pro" on them, the aluminum MacBooks are gonna need some kind of update sooner than later, now that the cheaper white one is faster. If they do rebrand them, I wonder if they'll make any other changes to make them seem more "pro". Now that the video card is the same, it seems the main things the aluminum ones have over white is mini DisplayPort, which probably doesn't look like a huge advantage. And as we've been over many times, they're missing the white MacBook's FireWire...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Now that the video card is the same, it seems the main things the aluminum ones have over white is mini DisplayPort, which probably doesn't look like a huge advantage. And as we've been over many times, they're missing the white MacBook's FireWire...
As for "main things" the Al model has over the white I would absolutely include as no. 1 reason the way sexier and lighter case.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 01:18 PM

Ooh, FireWire is back (800, of course). And the built-in SD card slot and backlit keyboard on all 13" unibody models. Including the one that's now $1199.

I'm really starting to want to replace my still-perfectly-useable BlackBook now!

Kestral
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Ooh, FireWire is back (800, of course). And the built-in SD card slot and backlit keyboard on all 13" unibody models. Including the one that's now $1199.

I'm really starting to want to replace my still-perfectly-useable BlackBook now!
This is it, I'm replacing my BlackBook 2.4 ghz with this!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 01:50 PM

I love the new specs of the 13" Pro! In addition to above, there's also the new battery and better screen.

But the 9400M? Hmm.

Kestral
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 02:30 PM

It's better than the 3100 I have in my blackbook right now, bring it on!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 03:25 PM

True. I'm having Core shut off with the new MacBook Air though; not sure if it's graphic-card related.

Placing a fan RIGHT TO THE REAR of the machine solves all sorts of kernel_task problem. Though, I installed the trial version of CoolBook (and log_level still shot up), then placed the fan on the back, so I can't be sure what works…

ibook_steve
Jun 8, 2009, 04:50 PM

Well, sometimes I guess it's good to be wrong. Nice new lineup!
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 02:50 AM

I agree. I wasn't expecting a change on the 15" and only minor changes on the 13". I'm glad I was wrong and Apple delivered more than I had expected.

I love the integrated 7h battery on the 15"! Now all I have to do is wait for the next 15" rev so Apple puts the EC/34 back in in lieu of the superfluous SD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules