Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > BenQ PD3200U Compatibility Issues

BenQ PD3200U Compatibility Issues
Anto39x
Jan 30, 2019, 11:40 AM

I'm wondering if there is a way to get this possible new monitor purchase or mine to work with my MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar that only has USB Type C connections... is there an adaptor that I can get that will still deliver a 4K experience...?

Also... I'm potentially getting this new screen to work with my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010) with a newly updated Sapphire RX580 8GB PULSE Graphics Card.... I'm currently using a mini display to display cable adaptor to get my current Apple 27" Cinema LED Display (Not Thunderbolt) to work with this card.... but the BenQ supports Display Port, so that won't be an issue.

The issue I have is with my MacBook Pro 2017 with only USB Type C ports.

Also with the new MacPro 2019 around the corner, would this BenQ PD3200U be future proof enough to work with that machine in full 4K resolution...? as I have a feeling Apple's new standalone monitor will be a beast of a price also.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome...

Regards,
Anthony

P
Jan 30, 2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Anto39x View Post
I'm wondering if there is a way to get this possible new monitor purchase or mine to work with my MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar that only has USB Type C connections... is there an adaptor that I can get that will still deliver a 4K experience...?
Any DisplayPort to USB-C cable will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...qid=1548869145

Also with the new MacPro 2019 around the corner, would this BenQ PD3200U be future proof enough to work with that machine in full 4K resolution...? as I have a feeling Apple's new standalone monitor will be a beast of a price also.
Should work fine.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 31, 2019, 05:50 AM

Hello again P

I contacted BenQ Sales Query Support yesterday also and they finally came back to me this morning suggesting this cable... to guarantee the best quality 4K picture.... do you think this is correct or over the top as this cable retails at $74 on the Apple Store, is it possible that the other alternative cable you suggested will do the same job for cheaper..?

https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/produc...apter?fnode=8b

P
Jan 31, 2019, 06:07 AM

No, that is a bad option. A very bad option, actually - you should not use HDMI for 4K unless you absolutely have to. You want USB-C to DisplayPort - such as the one I linked in my previous post.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 31, 2019, 06:10 AM

Thank you Mr. P.... you are a wealth of information.... so much for BenQ technical support experts!! I will get the one you suggested. Thank you again. And a virtual pint of Guinness is on it's way to you from Ireland!!

P
Jan 31, 2019, 09:16 AM

When my 2016 MBP was new, I kept trolling forums for info like this, because Apple utterly failed to deliver. I have gone from saying "Either HDMI or DisplayPort work" to saying "HDMI is an utter failure if your res is higher than 1920*1080, do not use ever, always use a cable that has USB-C on one end and DisplayPort on the other. Trust me - that is the only 100% reliable option out there. A USB-C to DisplayPort adapter works usually - and I have one that lets me inject power into it, which saves me a cable to connect - but then the actual DisplayPort cable has to be of a high quality as well. The only safe, reliable option is a cable like what I linked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules