Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > verizon iphone 5

verizon iphone 5
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 08:34 AM

What would be the reason to get a iphone 5 at verizon vs att. does it not cost the same at both places for the retail price. I got a new service at 29 for unlimited every thing from my company I work for me and I want to use a iphone 5.

Cold Warrior
Sep 27, 2012, 02:17 PM

Verizon has superior coverage and its LTE footprint is very large. AT&T lags behind in both areas. AT&T's network is also fairly poor, with data drops or no data often enough.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM

I second that. My friend has ATT, I have Verizon and I have bars where he has none. I never have dropped calls, he does.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2012, 05:17 PM

I switched to Verizon from AT&T when AT&T was constantly dropped my calls. NEVER had a dropped call in my 3+ years with Verizon.

Cold Warrior
Sep 27, 2012, 07:31 PM

With iPhone 5 on verizon, it also comes unlocked for domestic and international gsm use, and it supports a wider array of international lte bands. Att's version offers neither.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 10:03 PM

This makes me happy! I may have to go to Europe comming summer, and the idea of keeping my iPhone and just buying a local carrier's SIM, at local prices, makes my day

Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2012, 09:53 AM

I opted to stick with AT&T instead of switching to Verizon. For one thing, I get stronger reception from AT&T at my house. True, I get LTE from Verizon here, but only HSPA+ from AT&T; however, when at home, I connect to the internet via WiFi, so that's not a great issue. Also, AT&T lets me browse the web while talking on the phone, albeit at 3G or HSPA+ speeds.

There are two other considerations: by having my iPad on Verizon and iPhone on AT&T, if I'm in an area where I have only one of those services, I'm still connected with one of the devices. And my costs by splitting the services is actually less than it would be if I had switched to Verizon.

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2012, 08:37 AM

I think the choice depends on where you spend most of your time. Verizon has terrible coverage in my rural area of Vermont. ATT is spotty down in The Valley but gives me a strong signal at my house. Plus, I am grandfathered on an unlimited data plan with ATT. So long as I can keep it, I'm sticking with ATT. If ATT ever pulls a Verizon and doesn't let me keep my unlimited data, then I'll try Verizon to see if they have improved their coverage in rural Vermont.

EcoKade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 10:25 AM

Note -- the iPhone 5 on Verizon DOES ALLOW talking and browsing at the same time. That limitation on previous iPhones was due to Verizon's 3G (CDMA) network; it does not apply to LTE-capable devices like the iPhone 5.
So, that's one more vote in favor of Verizon (including my vote). The typical download speeds here in Alexandria, VA are about 30mbps -- faster than my Comcast cable.

Cold Warrior
Oct 1, 2012, 10:36 AM

Incorrect. It doesn't work. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57512635-37/verizon-sprint-iphone-5-cant-do-voice-plus-data-on-4g-lte/

EcoKade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2012, 07:41 AM

Oh my god. How horrific. I was about to buy one.
Thank you for telling me!

Cold Warrior
Oct 2, 2012, 01:26 PM

I'm hoping it will when verizon rolls out VoLTE, but I haven't seen any news on that.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 04:03 PM

Why wait for volte if you can have do VoIP over 3G, 4G and LTE with a Skype number.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2012, 08:59 PM

Yes it is supposed to work when Verizon has VoLTE up, which is alleged to be 2013 in most locales.

Forum Links
Forum Rules