Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone mysteriously won't recognize outgoing mail server

iPhone mysteriously won't recognize outgoing mail server
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2012, 12:57 PM

I'm talking with my ISP, but thought I'd run this up the flagpole here to see if anyone can solve the mystery.

Last week, without doing anything to change my settings in my email account, suddenly I can not send email using the outgoing server from my local cable company. It was working just fine. Now I get various error messages and the failed outgoing messages are placed in my Outbox.

I can, however, send email using my gmail outgoing server. No problem at all. And everything works just fine on the Macbook with this email account--can send and receive no problem. Only on the iPhone is there an issue sending.

So, I've deleted the account and re-entered it a half a dozen times on the phone. Just spent 57 minutes with the tech at the ISP doing the exact same thing, plus trying this and that, SSL unchecked, tried a new password, port number is good. Nothing has solved the issue. I can not send using their outgoing mail server.

Anybody got any ideas? It's just so strange that everything was working fine on the iPhone but now it's not.

P
Jan 4, 2012, 01:12 PM

Very hard to diagnose from here, but please check for any configuration differences between the Mac and the iPhone. Are you using POP or IMAP, for instance?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2012, 01:22 PM

The problem account is a POP. I just noticed that Gmail is IMAP, so hmmm. . .interesting that that one is sending email just fine.

And yes, I have checked the configuration on the Mac and the iPhone many, many times to insure I have entered the same information exactly. As I said it was working for the first week or so after I got the phone, but now I'm having this problem.

Thanks for responding.

Forum Links
Forum Rules