Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook plays radio when sleeping

powerbook plays radio when sleeping
siliconwafer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 10:45 AM

When I close the lid on my Powerbook while it's attached to external speakers, the speakers pick up radio stations. Anyone else experience this? My guess is that the powerbook acts as a giant antennae ... one time I was sleeping and it suddenly started, woke me up with a jolt. heh.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2002, 01:42 PM

It might have something to do with the outlet you have the speaker plugged into as well. My wife had a radio/tape player that would pick up radio stations even when playing tapes, but only when plugged into a certain set of outlets in the apartment. Weird.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 01:53 PM

try a better cable from the pb to your speakers, first try moving the cable...it's acting as an antennae.
a common problem, btw...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 02:27 PM

I have the same problem with my Pismo. It seems to get louder the more I have plugged in (firewire, Ethernet, s-video, etc.) Apple told me to deal with it because the audio out is meant for headphones and using amplified speakers is an "unsupported configuration."
12" Powerbook/1.5GHz/768MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo
OS 10.4.1

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2002, 06:22 PM

yeah, they're mostly right...the problem really has nothing to do with your Powerbook a'tall, other than the fact that when your powerbook is on the signal that IT is sending (even just silence) is of greater strength than the ambient radio signal and you therefore don't notice it, tho in reality it's probably still playing thru...

this is way common, especially in super-high wattage rigs (like mine)
that can take a minute signal from the air thru their wiring and amplify it to the point of audibility. we use a noise gate to rid ourselves of it, probably not an option for you tho. there MAY be an impedance switch on yoru speakers tho, depending on their quality...

Forum Links
Forum Rules