Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Experienced Mac Users... Help with a comparison

Experienced Mac Users... Help with a comparison
Porco
Nov 26, 2009, 02:57 PM

I have a three year old MBP 15" 2.4ghz with an NVIDIA 8600GT card in it. I am thinking of purchasing the MBP 13" 2.26 that is out now. I'd like to get the better battery performance and a slightly smaller machine for everyday use.

What are you guys' thoughts on performance differences?

Cold Warrior
Nov 26, 2009, 03:14 PM

EveryMac.com Mac Comparison

They have a pretty good raw comparison layout. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to just link to the actual comparisons, but you're getting core improvements in system bus speed, maximum RAM, faster RAM, a larger, multi-touch trackpad, and losing an expresscard slot, two FW ports (the 13" MBP has one FW 800), and two inches of screen.

Porco  (op)
Nov 26, 2009, 03:35 PM

thanks for this. i wondered if there were some lab testing or real world performance testing that anyone could give me. I do appreciate the link, though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 05:18 AM

What do you do? If it's just web, mail, Office use you'll hardly see a difference . Actually, the 13" MBP might even have an edge with a faster disk. If you're a gamer obviously the 8600M with 256 MB dedicated VRAM will show much better performance than the integrated 9400M.

The integrated battery is an excellent feature and offers a great advantage over the 15" you're using now. The question is basically if you can deal with the integrated 9400M in order to get a smaller/lighter notebook. Extra CPU power can be ordered for $150 on the 13", however dedicated graphics only come with the better 15" models.

In any event, I'd try to hold out for another two months until the MBP gets its update. It's likely we'll see the MBP go Core i5 Arrandale. Either you'll get more performance for the same money, or the same performance at a significantly lower price.

Porco  (op)
Nov 27, 2009, 02:55 PM

Hey Simon,

I work in software development. I mostly use my machine as you said for Web, Email, Office, VPN into my office. When I am away, I use it extensively for storing Photos, some editing. I've also done video editing on this machine, although when it renders out its is so slow that I would rather use my iMac. Since most of my use is non intensive, I've wanted to move to a smaller machine that would allow me to travel easier (using the 15 on an airplane is not the easiest) even though it might be a wee less powerful.

Beyond that, I was able to pick up the 13" for $1000 yesterday, and even though the core i5 or i7s will be faster, I am not sure I would be able to purchase at this price.

Thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate your response.

Reznik2009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2009, 09:32 AM

Congrats on your new Macbook!

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2009, 06:43 PM

I was going to wait until the next rev, but I needed to get a smaller book now for a year long photo project. I am coming from a 15" 2.83 with 4 GB ram, 7,200 rpm 320 to a 13" 2.53, 8 GB ram, 7,200 rpm WD 320. I got a good discount on it for my project and figure it will hold me over for three years.

I have 24 iMac and a burly Mac Pro at home, so the roadie will be great. I just want a smaller rig, never really use the 9600 card on the 15 for I work with mostly film scans lately.

I think a 13 is a perfect travel size, not to mention I get write off for 09.
( Last edited by Kodachrome_Project; Dec 6, 2009 at 06:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules