Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have a new car! (pix)

I have a new car! (pix) (Page 2)
downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 2, 2010, 04:37 PM

Right, but they are saying that the highest end models depreciate the fastest. Which is true, at least initially. But I don't buy new. I try to hit cars at the sweet spot of retaining value/reliability/ease of finding parts.

Example: A 2001 M5 is at a really nice price point right now, and it's also before the bangle-ized 'flame surfacing'. ANnnnddd, it will hold it's value FAR better than a normal 5 series. FAR better. Normal 5 series run about 5-10 grand. M5s are still worth like 15-20k

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
So they depreciate around the same rate, but one holds value, the other doesn't
If they depreciate at the same rate, how is it that one can 'hold value' and the other not? If they're both depreciating, then neither 'holds value'.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Rob's right about new versus used in depreciation. Roll off the lot with a "brand new" car and you lose thousands of dollars in value immediately because it's no longer "new." Once it is classified as used, a car will generally depreciate at a fairly consistent rate, with that rate controlled by how hard its driven, how well it's kept up, and demand. For example, I sold a 9 year old Civic 3 door with an A/C about to give up completely (A/C is life support in Central Texas) for almost $1k more than I expected to because it had less than 85,000 miles on it. While it was a 5-speed, the demand was for automatics, but I still made out because of that low mileage. That car kept almost 1/3 of its sales price over 9 years on the road. Not too shabby.
Totally agree with this. A big depreciation comes the minute you drive a new car off the lot. (Honestly, I don't know anyone that would dispute that.) But I don't think that's what he was comparing.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2010, 04:43 PM

ANnnnddd, it will hold it's value FAR better than a normal 5 series. FAR better. Normal 5 series run about 5-10 grand. M5s are still worth like 15-20k
So, perhaps I could buy a 2001 5er for 5K now, and sell it in 2-3 years for 3K.

Or, I could buy a 2001 M5 for 15K now, and sell it in 2-3 years for 10K.

Which way am I better off again?

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 2, 2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
So, perhaps I could buy a 2001 5er for 5K now, and sell it in 2-3 years for 3K.

Or, I could buy a 2001 M5 for 15K now, and sell it in 2-3 years for 10K.

Which way am I better off again?
The M5. It'll be easier to sell because it's more desirable. Plus, when you factor in maintenance, it makes WAY more sense to maintain a car worth more than 5k, than it does to maintain a vehicle worth less than 5k. Maintaining a really cheap car is kind of like throwing money in the toilet, unless it's just for personal satisifaction.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
From my experience, blood is not the best lubricant.
Don't go anywhere between a virgin and his lubricant.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2010, 05:37 PM

@Rob: He'd have to throw an extra three THOUSAND dollars' worth of repairs at the regular 5 over the next three years to come out ahead buying the M5, though.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2010, 05:44 PM

Without reading the whole thread, my opinion:
"depreciation rate" is measured in % lost per year
"value hold" is measure in HK$ lost per year
So, at the same depreciation rate, the car with the lower purchase price will hold its value better.

Just like the houses of underwater mortgage holders. The depreciation rate might remain the same, but at least it is losing less money than last year.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 2, 2010, 08:14 PM

Yeah but here's the difference: Regular ones are everywhere, and plentiful, so buyers can be picky, which drives prices down. With an M, or an S, whatever it may be, if it's in nice shape it will ALWAYS command a premium. For instance, I cannot imagine an M5 in decent condition ever falling below 10 grand, ever. Look at E30 M3s. They were basically never 'cheap cars', and in the last few years their value has skyrocketed.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2010, 08:54 PM

Right, but they are saying that the highest end models depreciate the fastest. Which is true, at least initially. But I don't buy new. I try to hit cars at the sweet spot of retaining value/reliability/ease of finding parts.

Example: A 2001 M5 is at a really nice price point right now, and it's also before the bangle-ized 'flame surfacing'. ANnnnddd, it will hold it's value FAR better than a normal 5 series. FAR better. Normal 5 series run about 5-10 grand. M5s are still worth like 15-20k
2001 is considered to be an old car by many people(not me). I see what you're saying, as it applies to classic cars. But these are not classic cars yet and the people using them probably won't keep them 15-25 years until they are. Even if they do, what kind of condition will they be in? Collectible condition? A 2001 will continue to depreciate for the next 15 years before it slowly starts to appreciate again. What will you spend in that time keeping it in excellent condition?

Yeah but here's the difference: Regular ones are everywhere, and plentiful, so buyers can be picky, which drives prices down. With an M, or an S, whatever it may be, if it's in nice shape it will ALWAYS command a premium. For instance, I cannot imagine an M5 in decent condition ever falling below 10 grand, ever. Look at E30 M3s. They were basically never 'cheap cars', and in the last few years their value has skyrocketed.
I cannot imagine a 535i falling to less than half the value of a comparable condition M5, ever. The reason to buy a more expensive car isn't because it will be worth more when you go to sell it, it is because you want a more expensive car.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 2, 2010, 09:08 PM

They do. Price out some E39s. You'll find in decent shape they cost like $4-8k. E39 M5s cost around $14-20k. Same bodystyle, same chassis, same year.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 2, 2010, 10:56 PM

Want...to...mock. Too...many...infractions...

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2010, 10:29 AM

The M5. It'll be easier to sell because it's more desirable.
This is so wrong I don't even know where to start. Let's just say this. That's what pricing is for. Yes, if you were selling an M5 and a 528i (comparable miles and condition) each for 10K, yes, the M5 would be easier to sell. But if you're selling the M5 for 10K and the 528 for 3K (since those are the hypothetical values we've been using), they'll be equally easy to sell.

Go take a few economics courses (or wait, never mind - just read a book on economics). Maybe you'll understand.

Plus, when you factor in maintenance, it makes WAY more sense to maintain a car worth more than 5k, than it does to maintain a vehicle worth less than 5k. Maintaining a really cheap car is kind of like throwing money in the toilet, unless it's just for personal satisifaction.
Once again, dead wrong. I don't know about you, but I maintain my car because I want to continue driving it. Just because it doesn't 'feel' as good because it's a cheaper car doesn't make it any more or less necessary.

Now, yes, if there comes a point where a car is so old that it needs so much additional maintenance that it'd be cheaper to buy a new car than to do so, yes, it's wise to cut the cord. But if you have an M5 and a 528 in similar condition, it's not more or less worthwhile to maintain one or the other. In fact, I'd argue the M5 maintenance is likely to be more costly given that parts will be more expensive and there's more precision to deal with because it's the 'performance' version.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
The reason to buy a more expensive car isn't because it will be worth more when you go to sell it, it is because you want a more expensive car.
Exactly.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2010, 11:46 AM

Identifying major issue here:

Some people buy cars for driving, while others buy them for theoretical resale value. These are two almost completely incompatible philosophies. While I buy cars to drive for as long and as economically as possible, I don't drive them to death, and I do take advantage of the potential for the brand I drive (Honda) to retain value longer than many other brands.

If I were more interested in resale value, I'd probably just lease. Which I personally think is a complicated way to rent a car for a long time. (Last time I bought a car, I got one heck of a nice sales tax deduction on my income tax...nothing involved in leasing for personal use seems to have any tax advantage whatsoever.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 3, 2010, 12:24 PM

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start. Let's just say this. That's what pricing is for. Yes, if you were selling an M5 and a 528i (comparable miles and condition) each for 10K, yes, the M5 would be easier to sell. But if you're selling the M5 for 10K and the 528 for 3K (since those are the hypothetical values we've been using), they'll be equally easy to sell.

Go take a few economics courses (or wait, never mind - just read a book on economics). Maybe you'll understand.
Ugh. You read a book on economics. Supply and demand. There are so many regular 5 series for sale, that the price plummets, and consumers can be VERY PICKY. If there are only a few (M5s) for sale, they will be worth more, since it is a limited production automobile.

Once again, dead wrong. I don't know about you, but I maintain my car because I want to continue driving it. Just because it doesn't 'feel' as good because it's a cheaper car doesn't make it any more or less necessary.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 12:36 PM

If the price "plummets" because there are so many (I'm sure you don't mean "plummet", but "is low", which is rather different), then it's low for those BUYING, as well.

Buy low, sell low - little loss.

Which part of "30% loss of $5000 is better than 30% loss of $15,000" is so difficult to understand that you've completely failed to address it?

Because THAT is the actual point.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2010, 12:54 PM

Ugh. You read a book on economics. Supply and demand. There are so many regular 5 series for sale, that the price plummets, and consumers can be VERY PICKY. If there are only a few (M5s) for sale, they will be worth more, since it is a limited production automobile.
Wrong again. It's also a lower price, so there are more consumers willing to pay that price for that vehicle. The demand for regular 5ers extends far beyond your 50 forum friends who are the M5 'enthusiasts'. So yeah - supply and demand. Read about it some time. You're focused on the supply and forgetting about the demand.

No one is disputing that the price of an M5 will be higher than the price of a regular 5er of comparable age, mileage, and condition. I've even illustrated that in my examples. But as Spheric said, the price is higher for an M5 when selling AND when buying.

Bottom line - if you're buying a car to drive, and not to have sit in a garage keeping it collector's quality - get the car with the features and performance you want for the price you want. If you want the features and performance of an M5, great - get it! Be prepared to pay more for it when you buy it. But if all you want is a regular 5er and you get an M5, you're assuming unnecessary cost and risk.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Because THAT is the actual point.
Nay. The point is that Sealobo's got a nice new car and Rob's shit in this thread.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Identifying major issue here:

Some people buy cars for driving, while others buy them for theoretical resale value.
I'm not so sure about that. The only cars that I think would fall into the latter category would be collectors' show cars (i.e. a car as an actual investment). That's obviously a sliver of the overall market. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a depreciating asset solely on the basis of how much (or how little) it's going to depreciate.

Resale value is certainly a factor in the decision to buy any car, but it's one of many factors. Let's say we have Car A and Car B, both available for the same price. And let's say Car A is expected to have a higher resale value than Car B. If I just like Car B better, and prefer the features and performance of Car B, I might be willing to 'pay' the extra depreciation for the personal satisfaction of driving Car B. On the other hand, if all else was equal, I'd be smarter to choose Car A.

If I wanted a car to drive and I was solely concerned about its depreciation, I'd probably look to buy an older (maybe 5-7 years old) car for about $4000 that I could drive for 2-3 years and sell for about $3000. Basically, I'd look to minimize the depreciation - because anything you actually drive any significant amount is going to depreciate.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Nay. The point is that Sealobo's got a nice new car and Rob's shit in this thread.
Ah, too true. Not seeing the forest for the dogcrap.

Thread synopsis:
Sealobo has a damn fine car. Rob can't afford it.

Congratulations to both of them.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 01:16 PM

Wicked car mate.

I dream of having a nice car. Then I look at the mess my kids leave in my Renault Megane Estate and I know that I'd just cry if they did the same thing to a BMW.

Officially jealous.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 3, 2010, 01:48 PM

Ugh. Whatever. I said it's a perfectly fine car, but for that kind of coin I would have gone used M5. Way more fun, IMHO.

As for resale value, I drive all my cars. All cars are a poor investment, but I tend to upgrade all my cars with a few grand, and it just totally blows when the car is worth NOTHING. This is why I will avoid base models and lemming models in the future. It seems Sealobo gets a new car every year, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2010, 02:08 PM

Ugh. Whatever. I said it's a perfectly fine car, but for that kind of coin I would have gone used M5. Way more fun, IMHO.
Well, come let us know when you have that kind of coin to drop. Judging by your attitude and willingness to crap on others (like you just did, yet again), I'd guess that's going to be quite a while.

As for resale value, I drive all my cars. All cars are a poor investment, but I tend to upgrade all my cars with a few grand, and it just totally blows when the car is worth NOTHING.
Swell, that's YOUR preference. Awesome! I tend to drive mine pretty much bone stock. That's MY preference. Awesome! So then why crap on others who may have different preferences?

lemming models
Sad, just sad.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 3, 2010, 02:23 PM

I want to reiterate to the OP, cool car and nice pictures.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I want to reiterate to the OP, cool car and nice pictures.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 3, 2010, 04:50 PM

bicker bicker bicker
You drive an automatic, therefore I'm not wasting my time.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 04:58 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 05:04 PM

You're an asshole, so I'm no longer wasting my time.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You're an asshole, so I'm no longer wasting my time.
Both of these posts are WAY over the "let's not get personal" line. Any more from anyone and infractions will flow like streams in springtime...

Railroader
Banned
Oct 3, 2010, 05:18 PM

Let's try this again: I want to reiterate to the OP, cool car and nice pictures.

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 3, 2010, 11:06 PM

Werd. Interior looks super comfy.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Let's try this again: I want to reiterate to the OP, cool car and nice pictures.
Exactly.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 08:25 AM

Very nice looking car, indeed. I like the cockpit a lot.

Sealobo  (op)
Oct 4, 2010, 11:23 AM

It seems Sealobo gets a new car every year...
for the record:

2000 M Coupe (manual)
2004 CBR600RR (manual)
2007 Boxster 987 (manual)
2008 Land Rover LR3 (auto)
2009 Gillera Runner (auto)
2009 Fiat 500 (auto)
2010 5er (auto)
2011 _______________ <-- maybe something crazy (and manual)

next year i might add a manual car back to the lineup. but i ain't selling the 5er that's for sure.

(bike is no longer a possibility; gf has banned such a thought.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 4, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
(bike is no longer a possibility; gf has banned such a thought.)
Ouch.

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2010, 12:40 PM

Sealobo, very nice car. I have car envy! I'm itching to buy a new car (and post a new thread about it).

That pic of your gf's mom is also very lovely.

-Q-
Oct 4, 2010, 12:57 PM

Nice ride, indeed. Congrats!

How's the iDrive software? A friend has an '05 525 and isn't a big fan of some of their interface.

Sealobo  (op)
Oct 14, 2010, 05:22 PM

iDrive is great! I don't have experience with the earlier iDrive version so i can't really compare. But i can say it's better than Audi's system.

and... this just in... lol~

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2010, 05:26 PM

Whose fault?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2010, 05:26 PM

Oh you are so lucky cash is banned.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2010, 05:30 PM

iDrive is great!
Just don't adjust the temperature while attempting to use GPS.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sealobo  (op)
Oct 14, 2010, 05:33 PM

it's my fault. i was backing in to a parking spot and didn't notice that there was a small metal cage mounted on the side of the wall. Apparently the parking sensor couldn't sense anything high up, and i blame the c-pillar for block my view... =P

Car went into the body shop just this morning... costing US$770 to fix. Luckily that the rear light assembly wasn't damaged or else the bill would be much bigger!

Going to get the car back on Monday or Tuesday... will post picture again.

Sealobo  (op)
Oct 14, 2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Just don't adjust the temperature while attempting to use GPS.
my car has no GPS.... i don't need it; i've been driving in this same city for 12 years.

and the air-con has its own old-school pixelated LED display down low.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2010, 05:42 PM

it's my fault. i was backing in to a parking spot and didn't notice that there was a small metal cage mounted on the side of the wall. Apparently the parking sensor couldn't sense anything high up, and i blame the c-pillar for block my view... =P

Car went into the body shop just this morning... costing US$770 to fix. Luckily that the rear light assembly wasn't damaged or else the bill would be much bigger!

Going to get the car back on Monday or Tuesday... will post picture again.
$770??? Are they just putting a new trunklid on? I was quoted at $900 for my Accord after it was hail-damaged to replace the trunk. But I guess my Accord has four lights in the trunk too.

Sealobo  (op)
Oct 14, 2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
$770??? Are they just putting a new trunklid on? I was quoted at $900 for my Accord after it was hail-damaged to replace the trunk. But I guess my Accord has four lights in the trunk too.
No, for $770 they will repair the damage by certain magical hammering, sanding, painting, and coating. The bodyshop claimed that it will get back to perfect/unnoticeable, i will see about that.

It costs $1,025 for a new lid from BMW, without paint/labour.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2010, 05:52 PM

Oh okay. I was thinking that I need a new 5er if parts are going to be cheaper than my Accord

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2010, 06:06 PM

iDrive is great! I don't have experience with the earlier iDrive version so i can't really compare. But i can say it's better than Audi's system.

and... this just in... lol~

Ouch

Railroader
Banned
Oct 15, 2010, 01:08 AM

Tell me about it, the composition of that picture is all wrong. Not to mention the lighting, the monster invading in the upper left of the frame, and the over color saturation. I've seen better. In a book. What will the enthusiasts say?!?!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2010, 02:03 AM

Angry girlfriend pounded it with a broomstick?

Forum Links
Forum Rules