Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Folding: We have a problem. All Team MacNN PC users please check here

Folding: We have a problem. All Team MacNN PC users please check here
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2008, 02:52 PM

Our folding team is 1 week from slipping out of the top 100. THIS IS BAD.
We need to stop our decline. Now. This will take a lot of effort, but at the moment my goal is to get an additional 60k PPD of production. That's a lot. But we have a way.

Last night I added ~4500 points of production. How? I installed a $50 (after rebate) video card in my computer, and installed the folding GPU client. This client works with Windows XP and Vista and Nvidia 8xxx series and above cards, and ATI Radeon HD2000 series and above cards.
My new card is a 9600GSO, which is a mid range card. Better cards will produce more.
I'm calling on all members with GPUs to install the client now, even as you continue to use your CPUs for other projects. Let's get the points up fast, then work on getting more members and a longer term production boost. If you want to upgrade your GPU, I'll link that too.

All CPU users are welcome to join in as well, and more detailed info will be coming. This is an emergency thread to get us going now.
The links:
GPU Guide: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide
GPU client: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
Nvidia: You need the latest Nvidia drivers, or close to it. Upgrade your drivers. Then install this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html
ATI: Upgrade your drivers

Nvidia FAQ: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ish.FAQ-NVIDIA
ATI FAQ: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2

Video card I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130356

Total count: 4000/60000 (I rounded down because it won't crunch 100% of the time)

LET'S GET CRUNCHING.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Sep 19, 2008 at 02:58 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2008, 07:07 PM

I'll join so long as the client stays up.

512mb 8800GT here.

It's running. Disadvantage is that my card makes a horrible whine. Oh well, I'm going to bed
( Last edited by seanc; Sep 19, 2008 at 08:19 PM. )

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2008, 08:31 PM

Since the CPU on my Dell runs Seti, I can at least use the HD 2400 - 256MB for folding.

I will see how long it takes on my little video card.

I eventually want to put in a 3650 - 512 MB.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Sep 21, 2008, 09:12 AM

I installed it on 6 more CPU's last night, crappy old Stanford assigned 4 of the clients to a server that is not handing out work units. I think I remember why I pretty much stopped folding now .

Anyway, they should all be folding again soon.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 02:48 PM

I'm definitely scrambling to get some more cycles online.

Not to mention that Stanford is really hosing me on big PS3 WU (i.e. not giving credit).

I should never drop below 1,800 points/day and I haven't topped 468 for 4 of the last 7 days.

I'd bitch to Stanford but I of course have no idea which WU were the bad ones, and the servers seem to have returned to giving me smaller units.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 07:28 PM

I have only Macs (go figure).

I'd be willing to build/buy a PC box and throw some GPU cards in it...

So, the question is, does it really matter what kind of box it is? How many GPUs can I throw in and let crunch 24/7 without ending up with a pile of slag?

I can do research, but there are so many ways to go about this some general pointers (since you know exactly what I'm going to do with it) would be appreciated.

Of course, if you can help me answer the question of where the hell I'm going to put the thing, I'm all ears.

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2008, 08:56 PM

ok, here's an answer for you:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=9662746

The box is a bit costly, but should generate at least 20k PPD.
Considerations when I specified parts:
1) Vista. You want to run Vista for the GPU client.
2) Quad core CPU - It'll run a CPU client as well. If you only want GPU clients running, you could drop down to a dual core CPU and save $40.
3) AMD - You could go with Intel as well, especially if doing a dual core. There is a 4 PCIe slot Intel board as well.
4) Open box mobo - it is cheaper.
5) Video card - The 9600GSO is another choice. It is cheaper, but produces less. In the overall scheme of the box I think the 8800GTs are more worthwhile. You can look on a place like the Ars Agora for used video cards and save a few $$$. You should aim for identical cards. It shouldn't be necessary, but some have said it might be.
6) Ram - I listed 4GB because I read some reports of Vista needing more system ram than there is video ram, and the cards alone have 2GB. You could try with 2GB, but keep that in mind.
7) Case - it is a random case that looked like it could cool this setup.
8) Power supply - It looked good, and has the PCIe power connectors we need.

Things to note:
For those video cards, there is a buy 2 get $20 off deal that I couldn't link to in my wish list.
There are rebates for several of those items.
You need an optical drive for the install.
For Vista, you need to make dummy VGA dongles, which involve a resistor and the DVI > VGA adaptors. It doesn't cost much.

If this is overkill for what you are looking for, let me know what range you are thinking and I'll see what I can come up with.
My website

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 10:02 PM

Wow. That's awesome. Thank you. That's more or less the least I thought it would cost without recklessly cutting corners.

It seems possible that this would make a halfway decent gaming rig... Opinions?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 10:25 PM

One more question...

Though this would obviously send the cost through the roof, were I to pick up a PowerMac Mac Pro, would I have any problem running the clients in Parallels (or if it comes down to that, with Boot Camp)?

Any cooling problems?

P.S. these are all "if you have an answer off the top of your head" type questions. You've already been super helpful!
( Last edited by subego; Sep 22, 2008 at 11:05 PM. )

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wow. That's awesome. Thank you. That's more or less the least I thought it would cost without recklessly cutting corners.

It seems possible that this would make a halfway decent gaming rig... Opinions?
It would make a decent gaming rig. What kind of games are you thinking? There are newer generations of cards than the 8800 series; I selected it for the price/performance ratio. Also, while the cards are SLI capable, you have to disable SLI for folding, which isn't so helpful for gaming.

Also, it might be just as economical to build 2 dual video card systems. I am not sure.

One more question...

Though this would obviously send the cost through the roof, were I to pick up a PowerMac Mac Pro, would I have any problem running the clients in Parallels (or if it comes down to that, with Boot Camp)?

Any cooling problems?
I don't know the answer to that. In boot camp you would have no problem, but I don't know about in Parallels. I also don't know about cooling or if there are any issues with regular PC video cards being used in the Mac Pro, even in Windows. It would be best to get someone to test it. I also don't know about cooling.
My website

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2008, 01:59 AM

Thanks again for the answers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a rig along the lines of what you suggested.

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2008, 11:50 AM

Thanks again for the answers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a rig along the lines of what you suggested.

Give me a little bit more to check on some stuff for it.

I put that list together to give you an idea.

Note that this is what I would build, but I'm just making the suggestion, not guaranteeing it.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Sep 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM. )
My website

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2008, 04:55 PM

I updated the wish list.

There's a mobo + CPU combo that you need to grab: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ize=100&Page=1

The ASUS probably has a better BIOS, and there's an asus board with integrated wifi, but there are a lot of comments about DOA boards. You can look at the other manufacturers as well that offer the same chipset.

Also, if you want, you could do an Intel version of the MSI board + CPU. It'll cost a little more though.

The power supply was replaced. It is a smaller one that should still be enough. It has a promo code: pcpc20. That'll get you $29 off. The video card rebate doesn't show with 4, but there's a $22 rebate for at least 2, so go for that.

If you actually want to use the system, you'll probably want at least Vista Home Premium. You shoud also swap for 64bit, but let me confirm that there are no major issues. Also, you'll probably want a bigger hard drive. Here's one that's big and cheap. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136218
Do you need an optical drive? You will need a DVD drive to do the install.

Any other questions?
My website

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2008, 07:24 PM

test
My website

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Sep 24, 2008, 10:28 PM

looks like I have gotten around 2000-2500 ppd online in for folding, might get to add a couple more cpu's, but not much. how much more do we need to stay in the top 100?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2008, 06:37 PM

We're out of the top 100 :/

We need a lot more people folding if we're going to get back in.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2008, 12:28 PM

I'm committed to building the new box. Will start picking up the pieces on Monday. I'd be doing it now, but the mother-in-law is over, and we have to go see Wicked...

Again.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 28, 2008 at 01:30 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2008, 12:33 PM

I've stopped folding on the GPU for now.

Does anyone know if the power consumption is going to be much higher when I'm folding on it compared to it just idling?

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2008, 07:17 PM

No GPU clients for Macs? With these kind of PPD, I might give up completely...
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 01:48 AM

Good lord.

It took me only a few hours to build the thing, even though I've never done it before...

...and I've spent the last day and a half ****ing around just trying to get Windows installed...

...and no, it's not installed yet.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 6, 2008, 03:26 AM

What are you stuck on?

Why not create a thread in Alt OS about it?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
What are you stuck on?

Why not create a thread in Alt OS about it?

It really hated my Apple keyboard... oh, and here's a ProTipâ„¢: DEL is not the same as DELete.

She's running now, though. I've got the first card going and the CPU crunching along. Does anyone have any insight as to how I should max out my CPU usage? Stanford seems to want to move away from the SMP client, and the standard client is only using about 30% (2.5GHz quad-core). Should I be setting up another instance of the client?

Assuming I can get that squared away...

Total count: 12000/60000.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 09:01 AM

I totally let my manners get away from me.

Thanks again Scott. You made this painless.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2008, 09:04 AM

It doesn't help matters that my mac pro folding client consistently fails to start a new work unit with out quitting and restarting the client. I don't pay attention to this thing much so my production has been severely diminished the past few weeks.

I have available Pentium IV machines that frankly are not worth the electricity for the CPU clients anymore but they have AGP slots, are there any cards recommended that would work in one of these machines that I could use the GPU client on?

***EDIT***
It appears some of my Pentium IVs do have PCIX16 slots, is there a card for under 100 bucks that will net some good PPDs?
( Last edited by macdude22; Oct 6, 2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Additional Information)
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2008, 10:06 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814121250R

Does anyone suppose that card would be acceptable. I'm pretty poor right now (due to a new found affinity for amateur radio) but if I could sink a couple 50-75 dollar cards into some of these P4s I have access too I would do it.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2008, 12:52 PM

That should work just fine, I managed to get a 2400 running.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 09:01 AM

Disadvantage is that my card makes a horrible whine.

In investigating how to overclock the GPU, I learned the default programming for the 8800GT fan has it going at either 30% or 100% (I **** you not).

You can use RivaTuner to manually control the fan, or set up a profile that's bases the fan speed on the temp.

If it helps, here's my quick and dirty test results under (F@H) load, not overclocked:

30% - 76º
50% - 73º <-- still almost inaudible
60% - 68º <-- seems most efficient here
70% - 66º <-- getting loud now
80% - 64º <-- diminishing returns past this point
90% - 63º
100% - 62º <-- very loud

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2008, 12:36 PM

My whine isn't a fan, it's more of an electrical whine, possibly a capacitor. From cold, turn F@H on - whine, off no whine. etc

My PNY card runs at 100% when you turn it on, after that it's always been silent. Some cheap XFX cards have the fan running at 100% constantly, I couldn't stand that.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2008, 04:00 PM

[19:54:31] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[19:54:31] Version 1.74 (September 24, 2007)
[19:54:31]
[19:54:31] Preparing to commence simulation
[19:54:31] - Ensuring status. Please wait- Created dyn
[19:54:31] - Files status OK
[19:54:32] - Expanded 2432710 -> 12896633 (decompressed 530.1 percent)
[19:54:32] - Starting from initial work packet
[19:54:32]
[19:54:32] Project: 2605 (Run 14, Clone 152, Gen 94)
[19:54:32]
[19:54:32] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[19:54:32] Entering M.D.
[19:54:49] l work pa- Starting from initial work packet
[19:54:49]
[19:54:49] Project: 2605 (Run 14, Clone 152, Gen 94)
[19:54:49]
[19:54:49] Entering M.D.
[19:56:14] CoreStatus = 1 (1)
[19:56:14] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x1
[19:56:14] Deleting current work unit & continuing...
I'm continuously getting this error now. I've deleted every scrap of Folding from my computer multiple times, I've tried both the standalone console client, the full install client (including running from the console from within this), and I can't get this thing to crunch anything now. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? I've had nothing but bad luck since 6 came out of beta (It worked great all through beta).

For now I've booted up D2OL (who knew it was still around) until they can get a decent folding client out. Folding and Seti used to be so easy, download, click n forget it. Now it's a test of my patience to get either of these running.
( Last edited by macdude22; Oct 9, 2008 at 04:18 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 05:17 PM

My whine isn't a fan, it's more of an electrical whine, possibly a capacitor. From cold, turn F@H on - whine, off no whine. etc

My PNY card runs at 100% when you turn it on, after that it's always been silent. Some cheap XFX cards have the fan running at 100% constantly, I couldn't stand that.

Got it. At 100% I get a whine not unlike what you would hear in the cabin of an airplane, I thought maybe that's what you were talking about.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 9, 2008 at 05:30 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 05:23 PM

Some notes on the dummy VGA connector.

1) I had heard reports that you can just plug in the HD cable into the 8800 and use "force television detection" in the NVIDIA control panel. Didn't work for me.

2) The PNY card comes with a pair of DVI to VGA adaptors, so you're only out 99¢ at Radio Shack for a five-pack of resistors.

3) Speaking of Radio Shack, they don't carry 75 ohm resistors, but they do carry 68 ohm resistors, which work fine. I'm so happy I live a block away from one.

4) The Radio Shack resistors fit nice and snugly in the VGA pin holes. No soldering needed, unless you want the thing to be bulletproof.

5) if you alternate the bodies of the resistors, like this guy did:

you pretty much don't have to worry about a short.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
I'm continuously getting this error now.

I think I may know what the problem is. What are you trying to run this on?

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2008, 05:54 PM

MacPro 2x2Ghz, 4GB Ram.

I've had nothing but trouble since 6 came out of beta. Now I'm getting some additional content in the errors, though no idea as to how to fix it. I've casually browsed the folding forums to no avail. I'm a big fan of Folding and the work they do but I think they have spent all their time focusing on the PS3 and GPU clients and ignored their meat n potatoes.

# SMP Client ################################################## ################
################################################## #############################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.02

http://folding.stanford.edu

################################################## #############################

Launch directory: /Users/kaltsasa/Library/Folding@home
Executable: /Applications/FAH6.02-OSX-Intel-Console/fah6
Arguments: -smp

[21:42:32] - Ask before connecting: No
[21:42:32] - User name: macdude22 (Team 16)
[21:42:32] - User ID: 65A45A2D671D3A95
[21:42:32] - Machine ID: 1
[21:42:32]
[21:42:32] Work directory not found. Creating...
[21:42:32] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[21:42:32] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[21:42:32] + Attempting to get work packet
[21:42:32] - Connecting to assignment server
[21:43:46] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[21:43:46] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[21:43:47] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.56).
[21:43:47] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[21:43:47] Loaded queue successfully.
[21:44:30] + Closed connections
[21:44:30]
[21:44:30] + Processing work unit
[21:44:30] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[21:44:30] Core found.
[21:44:30] Working on Unit 01 [October 9 21:44:30]
[21:44:30] + Working ...
[21:44:30] *------------------------------*
[21:44:30] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[21:44:30] Version 1.74 (September 24, 2007)
[21:44:30] Preparing to commence simulation
[21:44:30] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
[21:44:30] Created dyn
[21:44:30] - Files status OK
[21:44:31] - Expanded 2439749 -> 12896633 (decompressed 528.6 percent)
[21:44:31] - Starting from initial work packet
[21:44:31]
[21:44:31] Project: 2605 (Run 14, Clone 322, Gen 94)
[21:44:31]
[21:44:32] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[21:44:32] Entering M.D.
[21:44:48] l work packet
[21:44:48]
[21:44:48] Project: 2605 (Run 14, Clone 322, Gen 94)
[21:44:48] 5 (Run 14, Clone 322, Gen 94)
[21:44:49] Entering M.D.
NNODES=4, MYRANK=0, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=1, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=2, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=3, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
[cli_0]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
[cli_1]: aborting job:
[cli_2]: aborting job:
[cli_3]: aborting job:
[21:46:14] CoreStatus = 1 (1)
[21:46:14] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x1
[21:46:14] Deleting current work unit & continuing...
[0]0:Return code = 0, signaled with Quit
[0]1:Return code = 0, signaled with Quit
[0]2:Return code = 0, signaled with Quit
[0]3:Return code = 18
[21:50:41] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[21:50:41] + Attempting to get work packet
[21:50:41] - Connecting to assignment server
[21:51:55] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[21:51:55] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[21:51:56] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.56).
[21:51:56] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[21:51:56] Loaded queue successfully.
[21:52:24] + Closed connections
[21:52:29]
[21:52:29] + Processing work unit
[21:52:29] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[21:52:29] Core found.
[21:52:29] Working on Unit 02 [October 9 21:52:29]
[21:52:29] + Working ...
[21:52:29] *------------------------------*
[21:52:29] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[21:52:29] Version 1.74 (September 24, 2007)
[21:52:29] Preparing to commence simulation
[21:52:29] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
[21:52:46] - Looking at optimizations...
[21:52:46] - Working with standard loops on this execution.
[21:52:46] - Previous termination of core was improper.
[21:52:46] - Going to use standard loops.
[21:52:46] - Files status OK
[21:52:47] - Expanded 2439749 -> 12896633 (decompressed 528.6 percent)
[21:52:48] cket
[21:52:48]
[21:52:48] Project: 260Entering M.D.
[21:52:48] ne 322, Gen 94)
[21:52:48] Entering M.D.
[21:52:48] ne 322, Gen 94)
[21:52:48] Entering M.D.
NNODES=4, MYRANK=0, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=2, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=3, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu
NNODES=4, MYRANK=1, HOSTNAME=M0800465ED531.grinnell.edu

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 06:10 PM

This thread discusses the same error in Linux.

They seem to think it's a bad work unit, so it actually might be worth it to start a thread on it in the folding forums.

The solution seems to be that you should stop the client, delete the work folder and queue.dat, and then restart the client.

Rinse and repeat until they stop giving you bum units.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 10, 2008, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
I'm continuously getting this error now. I've deleted every scrap of Folding from my computer multiple times, I've tried both the standalone console client, the full install client (including running from the console from within this), and I can't get this thing to crunch anything now. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? I've had nothing but bad luck since 6 came out of beta (It worked great all through beta).

For now I've booted up D2OL (who knew it was still around) until they can get a decent folding client out. Folding and Seti used to be so easy, download, click n forget it. Now it's a test of my patience to get either of these running.
I was getting the same thing (more or less) on my windows box when I ran the SMP beta client. Pretty frustrating after waiting 2 days for it to finish one WU, then it will not report it, just quits. I went back to two seperate clients, one per CPU. Much lower points, but at least I get the points.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 10:09 AM

Third card is in, fourth card was bad. Replacement is en route.

I'll bump the total count up a little more once I've finished overclocking. I should be able to squeeze another 500 PPD a piece.

However, for now, at 4500 PPD...

Total count: 17500/60000

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 10, 2008, 11:51 AM

I just got a new video card for my PC, an nVidia 9800GT and I thought I would load the GPU client. WOW, this card gets more PPD than all of my CPUs together! This sucker is getting around 3400 PPD according to FAHmon. They have these on sale at newegg.com for around $110, I am going to buy another one and put it another computer just for folding.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2008, 12:08 PM

This thread discusses the same error in Linux.

They seem to think it's a bad work unit, so it actually might be worth it to start a thread on it in the folding forums.

The solution seems to be that you should stop the client, delete the work folder and queue.dat, and then restart the client.

Rinse and repeat until they stop giving you bum units.
I've done this at least 2 dozen times now, and it pulls down a different unit each time. I'm getting real tired of dickerin around with this.

The thing is I've had no issues with the couple of old PIVs I have running slax on flash drives.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2008, 12:26 PM

Holy balls batman! I got a work unit working. Maybe they were just sending me 3 dozen bad units.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy View Post
I just got a new video card for my PC, an nVidia 9800GT and I thought I would load the GPU client. WOW, this card gets more PPD than all of my CPUs together! This sucker is getting around 3400 PPD according to FAHmon. They have these on sale at newegg.com for around $110, I am going to buy another one and put it another computer just for folding.

You should be able to get over 5000... are you using the effective rate in FAHmon, or last frame only?

Or are you just [gasp] doing something other than folding with your computer?

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 10, 2008, 06:42 PM

You should be able to get over 5000... are you using the effective rate in FAHmon, or last frame only?

Or are you just [gasp] doing something other than folding with your computer?
I am relying on FAHmon to tell me and I do not how it calculates the PPD. Seems that it is using an average of the time to do each percent complete. So far it only gets 480 point WUs and it does them in between 3 - 3.5 hours each.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 08:54 PM

Just as a reference, I'm getting similar units, and my stock 8800GT crunches an average of 4500 PPD (about 2.5 hours/unit).

I understand the client is kind of finicky about drivers. If it's worth the hassle to uninstall and then reinstall them, you might be able to get another 2000 PPD from it.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 10, 2008, 09:30 PM

Just as a reference, I'm getting similar units, and my stock 8800GT crunches an average of 4500 PPD (about 2.5 hours/unit).

I understand the client is kind of finicky about drivers. If it's worth the hassle to uninstall and then reinstall them, you might be able to get another 2000 PPD from it.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.
I did put in the latest drivers. What CPU are you running? This GPU client seems to also utilize one core of my Core 2 Duo, which is a 2.66 Ghz. Are you running the 32 or 64 bit client?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 10:19 PM

32 bit. 2.5 GHz quad-core.

It's taking about 15-20% for me, but I'm not running a CPU client on this machine yet.

As far as the drivers go, I get the impression that even if you have the latest, there can still be conflicts with drivers that Windows has previously installed. Ideally, you have to completely wipe all your vc drivers, install the latest drivers, and then never let Windows install new ones for you.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by macdude22
Wow. I thought D2OL was dead. Guess it survived after all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2008, 04:39 PM

I've stopped folding on the GPU for now.

Does anyone know if the power consumption is going to be much higher when I'm folding on it compared to it just idling?

Happened across the answer here.

Looks to be around an extra 75W.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 08:41 PM

Whoo-hoo! Number one producer! Now that I have something to brag about, I get a sig, and a one post party!

Whoo-hoo!

Thanks again Scott!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 08:42 PM

Okay. That's over.

Commence to crushing me. Being the number one producer is a complete and total violation of the natural order.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2008, 04:02 PM

Now that I have my Mac Pro back up and folding I'll work on getting a GPU PC working soon. That will probably have to wait a week or 3 as I just ordered a new Radio and methinks the wife won't look kindly upon two "useless" purchases in one pay period. Probably will get something like that Radeon 3400.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 06:56 PM

Arrgh. Looks like I have a bad slot on the mobo. The whole reason I went with the MSI board was hearing about the dead Asus ones.

Oh well. Three cards only for now. Not too much to complain about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules