Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I regret not getting a superdrive in my mini, now what?

I regret not getting a superdrive in my mini, now what?
sixdoubleseven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:47 PM

So after visiting my parents and using their PC with a DVD+RW drive I'm disappointed that I didn't order one with my Mac mini.

I'd like to be able to copy DVDs and edit personally recorded DVDs.

Will apple install a superdrive in my mini?

Do you guys/gals recommend just going with an external DVD drive/burner?

If the latter, what do you recommend? What's the minimum x (8x, 16x etc.) I should go with? Are there some brands that are more compatible with minis? Is it possible to find an external drive, full compatible for less than $75?

Thanks,
Dave

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2005, 01:06 PM

Internal means slim and slot loading, which translates into slow, expensive, noisy, and with only one drive you can't copy disks as easily/quickly. I'd go with an external.

I like the Pioneer DVR-110D (fastest burner on the market, supports all formats except the rarely seen DVD-RAM) for $43 and then pick a USB or FW enclosure that you like (16x DVD is slow enough that the bus doesn't matter... pick by what ports you have available).

sixdoubleseven  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

I'll check that one out.

I have the FW port open. Is that better than using USB2? I'm guessing the FW would be quicker.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 01:22 PM

YOu can still buy an internal one from several places. If you are mechanically inclined you could install it yourself.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sixdoubleseven
I'll check that one out.

I have the FW port open. Is that better than using USB2? I'm guessing the FW would be quicker.
16x DVD (fastest you can go without breaking the disks) is only 19.2MBps... either USB2 or FW can easily handle that.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 07:04 PM

If you're not afraid to open up your mini, the Pioneer K05 laptop drive is one of the drive models used by Apple and is fully supported in OS X.4.3. It's only an 8x but it does support dual layer and can be found online for under $100. Replacing the internal drive means that you don't use either any of the firewire or USB ports, but apart from that I can't think of any other advantages.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 07:08 PM

sixdoubleseven: Before you open your mini, make sure that you are aware that your warranty will be voided. WHy don't you try selling your Mac Mini on ebay and buy a new one with Superdrive? It will pretty much come out to the same price and your warranty will not be voided...Think about that...If you don't mind the warranty I would do what power142 said, it is a good idea...

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer

sixdoubleseven  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 10:00 AM

I'm not comfortable in cracking open the mini myself, regardless of warranty issues. Would Apple sell me a superdrive and install for a price?

I'll probably end up buying an external burner and attaching it when I need it.

As for the software needed to take advantage of such a drive, is the the best/easiest/cheapest way to go:

Mac the Ripper for ripping - freeware
DVD2oneX for shrinking - freeware
Toast for burning -??$$

I know Mac the Ripper and DVD2oneX are freeware programs, iare there recommended sites where I can download them safely? Is it possible to get them on a disk somewhere and install them that way?

sixdoubleseven  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 10:51 AM

I was just browsing the "Mac mini setups" thread and noticed the last pic posted has a stack under the mini.

Does anyone know if there are any planse to instroduce an external dvd burner that looks like the stack, you know one that matches the mini perfectly? That'd be sweet!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 11:16 AM

Unless you're asthetically stuck on the mac mini, you could buy a Superdrive and stick it in an external case for around $100. Maybe less if you shop smart. (Shop S mart... you got that?)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2005, 03:18 PM

I have a Pioneer 110D slapped in an old Firewire case (from an Acomdata CDRW burner I got back in the day). Honestly, I prefer using it in Panther with Patchburn to using it natively in Tiger. I think the enclosure really does matter. I definitely wouldn't advise picking up whatever seems cheapest.

sixdoubleseven, do you have an Apple store nearby? Walk in and ask them if they'll do the upgrade. Or ask at a store with certified Apple techs. If a built-in Superdrive is what you're looking for, go to the source.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2005, 03:19 PM

[deleted, double post]
( Last edited by druber; Dec 10, 2005 at 02:02 AM. )
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

P
Dec 6, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
16x DVD (fastest you can go without breaking the disks) is only 19.2MBps... either USB2 or FW can easily handle that.
But Firewire means less overhead for the CPU, so it will be faster anyway. Not at the burning, but at using the machine while you're burning.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by sixdoubleseven
I'm not comfortable in cracking open the mini myself, regardless of warranty issues. Would Apple sell me a superdrive and install for a price?

I'll probably end up buying an external burner and attaching it when I need it.

As for the software needed to take advantage of such a drive, is the the best/easiest/cheapest way to go:

Mac the Ripper for ripping - freeware
DVD2oneX for shrinking - freeware
Toast for burning -??$$

I know Mac the Ripper and DVD2oneX are freeware programs, iare there recommended sites where I can download them safely? Is it possible to get them on a disk somewhere and install them that way?

No they wouldn't sell it to you but you could get it from Macsales.com or MCE will have the upgrades for it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ioaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by druber
I have a Pioneer 110D slapped in an old Firewire case (from an Acomdata CDRW burner I got back in the day). Honestly, I prefer using it in Panther with Patchburn to using it natively in Tiger. I think the enclosure really does matter. I definitely wouldn't advise picking up whatever seems cheapest.
I got the mac mini without the superdrive and felt later that I definitely needed one. I bought an external usb2/firewire enclosure on newegg and threw my NEC dvd burner in there. I have this connected to my mini via firewire and it works great. I see no issue with an external dvd burner, other than it not being aesthetically pleasing.

The whole cost for this was around $75, so for me, this cheap method worked out well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules