Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help - Firewire Issues

Help - Firewire Issues
kfletch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 01:44 PM

I had my Cube and iBook firewired where the Cube was the main harddrive source, I had to do a force quit for one of my apps. That wasn't effective, so I tried to remove the firewire cable and reboot both computers. Now when I turn on my Cube separately, I can't see the harddive on the desktop or any other icons. But when I use the firewire cable where the iBook is the main source and the Cube is the secondary drive, then I can see that the hard drive and files are okay. What can I do to make sure that they both are capable of working separately?

There may even be a CD stuck in the drive of the cube.

Dr. Smoke
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 04:28 PM

Hi, kfletch.

Originally posted by kfletch:
There may even be a CD stuck in the drive of the cube.
That may be the first issue to sort out. See Power Mac G4 Cube: How to Eject a CD or DVD Disc

Originally posted by kfletch:
I had my Cube and iBook firewired where the Cube was the main harddrive source, I had to do a force quit for one of my apps. That wasn't effective, so I tried to remove the firewire cable and reboot both computers. Now when I turn on my Cube separately, I can't see the harddive on the desktop or any other icons. But when I use the firewire cable where the iBook is the main source and the Cube is the secondary drive, then I can see that the hard drive and files are okay. What can I do to make sure that they both are capable of working separately?
What you are describing is that you had the Cube and the iBook connected in FireWire Target Disk Mode. What I think you mean by "the Cube was the main harddrive source" is that the iBook was in Target Disk mode, acting as an external FireWire drive as seen by the Cube, which was the Host, using the terminology in the cited Apple KB document. Correct?

If so, I'm surprised the iBook's drive was not corrupted: disconnecting a FireWire drive, or a computer in Target Disk Mode, without first ejecting the drive can cause the drive to become corrupted, ranging from minor corruption to the directory to major corruption of the partition map.

If you have Disk Warrior 3.x, and can use the Cube's optical drive, I suggest you boot from your Disk Warrior CD and have it repair the Cube's drive.

If you have Disk Warrior installed on the iBook, you can connect the Cube as Target and run Disk Warrior against the Cube's drive from the iBook's disk.

If I've misinterpreted your question, please clarify.
Good Luck!

Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules