Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Getting ready for iPhone #3

Getting ready for iPhone #3
SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 11:00 AM

Well after replacing my first iphone for a broken volume button, I am heading back to the apple store today to get my brick replaced.

The phone hasn't been dropped and it decided to die a slow painful death rather than not just wake up this morning. The battery died down over the weekend and the problems started yesterday when I tried to plug it in and it slowly charged back up.
Aside from getting very warm, even when the battery was back in the green it wouldn't let me make calls or even use wifi. An hour later and it starting locking up. Soon afterwards it gave me a message saying it needed to be repaired. Attempts to restore it failed even after a restart. Now when I try to turn it on the screen spazzes out and flickers and then remains black until I force it to turn off again.

I haven't seen or heard of this happening but I'm hoping they give me a new phone today (and that I can get my screen protector off the old one easily). My biggest fear is that when I try to restore my data onto a new phone it will transfer whatever corrupt files were involved.

Anyone here have any relevant experiences or advice?
( Last edited by SSharon; Sep 24, 2007 at 01:39 PM. )
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

-Q-
Sep 24, 2007, 12:24 PM

Ouch. No experience or advice to offer - just a hope that the 'third phone is the charm.' Good luck.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 07:41 PM

Notwithstanding the fact that nobody seems interested, I got my new phone today and am syncing it now. Unlike the first time I replaced it where it immediately prompted me to restore from a backup, this time I had to go though the ATT activation again.
The first time I hit sync it only copied my contacts and calenders, now I see it is copying everything.

Bottom line: thank god for good customer service. Sucks that the phone broke but at least it isn't such a painful experience replacing it.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2007, 09:35 PM

Actually I'm very interested. Your experience is something any hardware vendor and service provider would work very hard to prevent and lacking that, repair. To say that you're happy with the service you've received is a very strong comment about the Apple Store you visited. (You could mention which store to sort of give 'em an extra pat on the back.)

With all the hype and hoopla over the iPhone, it looks very much like it was "rushed to market" without enough real world testing. If it had been properly tested, Apple would likely not have been anywhere near so generous with their replacement policy on "just plain failed" units, and many of the "wow this sucks" threads here would never have been begun. Sometimes it's not cool being an uninformed beta tester.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2007, 10:48 PM

Is the speaker supposed to be super super low? I can't even use it on a call because it's too quiet. Is that normal?
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2007, 10:53 PM

Also, if that is the case with most, can that be fixed in a software update (maybe changing how loud the output is) or would it have to be a hardware fix. I heard an update is coming next week Yee-haw
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 09:47 AM

I went to the Walt Whitman apple store out in long island to buy the phone and to have it replaced each time.

irunat2am: The original film blocks the speaker about 85%. After taking it off and putting on a screen protector (I am glad I got 2 for $10 since one is now gone) it works much better. The speakerphone could stand to be a bit louder.

On another note, I think this phone is from a different batch because the laser etched iphone name on the back looks very different. This one isn't as crisp and looks like it is washed out a bit.

Glenn: Not only was apple's service great, but I also called ATT twice during this to make sure my bill didn't get duplicated and then again to set my contract date back two months since it got moved ahead to yesterday.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 10:12 AM

I agree, it does suck to be very excited for a product like this and then all of a sudden it just stops working, or in my case doesn't work at all.

I bought my iPhone from the 5th Ave, NY Apple Store the day after they came out. My wife wanted to go to some other shop to look around for clothes, so I decided to find a spot to sit and play with my new iPhone. I took it out the box, turned it on, and stared at the Apple logo. It never went futher than that. I could not turn off the phone, but I could reset it.
I walked back to the Apple store and a salesman told me that you could not use the phone until you activate it. I knew that he had to be wrong so I went to the Genius Bar, obviously without a reservation, and they had someone help me very quickly. He reset it with iTunes but that didn't help and then swopped it out for a brand new one and tested it for me.

Even though it's the busiest Apple Store I've been to, the 5th Ave one has given me really good service.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I took it out the box, turned it on, and stared at the Apple logo. It never went futher than that. I could not turn off the phone, but I could reset it.
I walked back to the Apple store and a salesman told me that you could not use the phone until you activate it. I knew that he had to be wrong...
I don't think he was wrong. An new, out-of-the-box iPhone must be activated through iTunes & AT&T or have a valid, activated SIM card in it (i.e., from another previously activated iPhone) to function, otherwise you can stare at the picture of the Earth and punch out numbers on the keypad (or dial 911), but can't use any of the apps or iPod functions.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 03:38 PM

That's correct, it can't be used and yes, you will stare at a picture of the Earth. He told me that even though my phone would not boot past the Apple logo it would be okay once I plugged it into a computer and activated it.
That part I knew he had to be wrong, since everyone had said you get the picture of the Earth and the "activate" text.
No matter how long you left my phone alone for, or how many times you restarted it, it would not get past the Apple logo 'boot' screen.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 09:51 PM

We now know where the tech gremlins were last week...

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
We now know where the tech gremlins were last week...
New York?

Forum Links
Forum Rules