Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connection to TV

Connection to TV
tobes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 07:45 PM

Hey guys,

Does anybody know of a way that the output on the video adaptor can be forced to be say PAL at 50Hz and a certian resolution. I am sick of having to reboot my iBook whenever I want it to connect to the TV.

I shouldn't need to reboot in my opnion. It mainly has problems when I go from having it plugged into a monitor and then want to connect it to a TV. Surely there is someway I can make it think that it has detected the TV or actually get it to detect it as a TV and not a default VGA monitor.

thanks

tobes

ibook_steve
Mar 27, 2003, 09:29 PM

Huh? Depending on which dongle you are using, it should detect correctly what you have attached and let you set a PAL resolution. The detect takes place when you plug in the dongle or if you select Detect Displays from the displays menu or preference pane. Is this an older iBook that uses the headphone jack for outputting composite video or one of the newer ones that outputs composite and s-video through the mini-VGA port? I guess I don't quite understand what your problem is, assuming you have the correct dongles.

Steve

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2003, 05:38 AM

you should be able to change display settings while plugged into the TV. i use a miniVGA to RCA adaptor, plug it in while the iBook is asleep and upon waking up, it already works, but i can still change the monitor setting in system prefs if i want to. you shouldn't have to reboot. i also put the iBook to sleep when i unplug it. hope that helps.

tobes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 06:37 AM

Yeah is *SHOULD* work. But it doesnt detect it properly it just says that a default VGA monitor is connected. It is one of the new 12.1 ibook 800's.

tobes

ibook_steve
Mar 31, 2003, 02:16 PM

Well, if that's happening, then you could have a bad dongle. You should see NTSC and PAL resolutions as soon as you plug in a good dongle. Also, I'm assuming you are using the correct dongle, the short one with female composite and s-video jacks, not the old long one that plugs into the headphone jack.

Steve

mqa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 03:43 AM

I have the same problem. Just plug it in and unplug it until it works. It usually takes about 5 times to work for me. It's probably not a bad dognle, because (in my case anyway) it works perfectly under OS9. Also, harass Apple about this, they never called me back about this problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules