Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help with iTrip

Help with iTrip
HunkFam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 04:36 PM

Hi there,

I just got my iTrip and I just can't get ANYTHING to come out of my car radio or home tuner stereo speakers. I mean NOTHING. I think I followed the directions exactly.

I plugged in the CD and ran the software. I then plugged in the iPod and let it copy everything over. Then I set my car/home stereo to 87.9. Then I tried to play a song in iPod. The time counter clicks along but NOTHING comes out of anywhere. I tried changing the freq (with volume properly set) and...still nothing. In fact, the iPod just seems to cycle upwards in the frequences. I start with 87.9. The bar at the bottom counts 3-4 seconds with the blue light quick-flashing. If I push play, then the blue light flashes 3 times and I get the STOP signal in the top left. The question is WHAT to do then? If I go then to try and play a song, I get nothing. If I push play again, the iPod just goes on to 88.1 and repeats. Repeat for 103 stations. AAAAHHHH.

At this point I wouldn't mind SOMETHING even tinny coming out of the speakers. Since the directions don't actually tell you how to PLAY music (only how to connect the iTrip and change frequencies), I'm quite sure I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas,

thanks,
Thad

mcg1000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 07:19 PM

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems. Does anybody have any advice?

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 11:01 PM

I got my iTrip a week ago and had some problem of not getting anything to play through the stereo but got it to finally work. First, make sure the volume is more than half way up. Choose the station you desire and press the center PLAY button. The light will start blinking rapidly and you should then press and hold PLAY/PAUSE button (below the track pad) before the next station starts to play. Even when I try this, sometimes the iTrip will still register the next station meaning I'd have to tune the radio to the next frequency higher. The trick may be to choose the station before the one you really want to get the "real" one you want.

Hope this helps.
( Last edited by laseca; Jul 24, 2003 at 11:06 PM. )

mcg1000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2003, 06:28 AM

When do I start playing songs and how?

Originally posted by HunkFam:
Hi there,

I just got my iTrip and I just can't get ANYTHING to come out of my car radio or home tuner stereo speakers. I mean NOTHING. I think I followed the directions exactly.

I plugged in the CD and ran the software. I then plugged in the iPod and let it copy everything over. Then I set my car/home stereo to 87.9. Then I tried to play a song in iPod. The time counter clicks along but NOTHING comes out of anywhere. I tried changing the freq (with volume properly set) and...still nothing. In fact, the iPod just seems to cycle upwards in the frequences. I start with 87.9. The bar at the bottom counts 3-4 seconds with the blue light quick-flashing. If I push play, then the blue light flashes 3 times and I get the STOP signal in the top left. The question is WHAT to do then? If I go then to try and play a song, I get nothing. If I push play again, the iPod just goes on to 88.1 and repeats. Repeat for 103 stations. AAAAHHHH.

At this point I wouldn't mind SOMETHING even tinny coming out of the speakers. Since the directions don't actually tell you how to PLAY music (only how to connect the iTrip and change frequencies), I'm quite sure I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas,

thanks,
Thad

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 09:06 AM

1. Tune the radio to the clear frequency.
2. Turn off shuffle on iPod
3. Go to the iTrip playlist, select the desired frequency
4. Once it starts playing, the itrip's LED will flash. Press Pause immediately.
5. Go to a music playlist and select a song.
6. It should be playing through the stereo.

It may be defective too, so if that doesn't work then contact Griffin or return it.

fado
Jul 25, 2003, 01:16 PM

Honestly, I haven't had problems with mine yet I noticed that the quality works better when the stations are in the high 90's.

Additionally, key note... make sure the volume is not high nor lowon the iPod... Griffin states 60% Volume is ideal.

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 01:38 AM

Another tip I read in one of the Mac mags was that if you can disable your antenna, you'll have more dead stations to choose from. They verified this on a car that had a physically broken antenna.

My radio brings up the antenna everytime its turned on regardless if you're listening to a CD (when it's absolutely useless). If I get better reception for my iPod, I'll install a switch to disconnect power to the antenna when I need to keep it down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules