Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DiskWarrior for Leopard Released

DiskWarrior for Leopard Released
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 04:33 PM

DiskWarrior seems to have been updated for Leopard compatibility recently. I thought there'd probably be a few people here who'd like to know.

DiskWarrior Support

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks, Charles$.

Plus: for DiskWarrior owners the upgrade will be free once it's available.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Charles$.
What the heck was that for?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What the heck was that for?
Read error.

Thought your name was with a dollar sign, not with an S.

Many people get creative by using non-alphabet signs as letters in their screen names.

So, just a read error, no heck.

Sorry if the $ sign struck the wrong chord and felt offensive. Not my intent.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:39 AM

I wonder… given both possibilities, would be a better way to fix a faulty hard disk, to use DW from another hard disk or boot it from the dvd disc?, there is going to be a huge speed difference, but besides that…?.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Read error.

Thought your name was with a dollar sign, not with an S.

Many people get creative by using non-alphabet signs as letters in their screen names.

So, just a read error, no heck.

Sorry if the $ sign struck the wrong chord and felt offensive. Not my intent.
Hehe, that's fine then. I thought you were going to accuse me of working for Alsoft and spamming the forum or something. All I meant to do was to let the forum know that a program that a lot of people (including myself) have been impatiently waiting for is finally out.

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I wonder… given both possibilities, would be a better way to fix a faulty hard disk, to use DW from another hard disk or boot it from the dvd disc?, there is going to be a huge speed difference, but besides that…?.
I think it would definitely be better to use it from another hard disk. DW seems to load the entire directory of the disk it's fixing into RAM, and if the directories happen to be larger than the amount of physical RAM you have free, it's going to need that virtual memory swapspace (unfortunately, since the app is 32-bit, this also means that if the directories take up more than 4 GB, DW won't be able to operate on that disk).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:00 AM

Hehe, that's fine then. I thought you were going to accuse me of working for Alsoft and spamming the forum or something. All I meant to do was to let the forum know that a program that a lot of people (including myself) have been impatiently waiting for is finally out.
Nah, he thought your screen name was a BASIC variable.

10 CHARLES$ = "BY CHARLES S."
20 PRINT "PACIFIST 2.5"
30 PRINT CHARLES$
40 END

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 02:34 PM

I think it would definitely be better to use it from another hard disk. DW seems to load the entire directory of the disk it's fixing into RAM, and if the directories happen to be larger than the amount of physical RAM you have free, it's going to need that virtual memory swapspace (unfortunately, since the app is 32-bit, this also means that if the directories take up more than 4 GB, DW won't be able to operate on that disk).
Such a great and valuable info!! My LaCie d2 FireWire is overjoyed yelling horray for Charles cause it is getting DW while the internal one is kind of jealous

Thank you very much indeed.

hab
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2008, 03:24 PM

Although the Support page at Alsoft posted a message on 1/21/08 that says "Owners of DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0 will soon be able to download a free CD updater" there is still no upgrade path to Leopard compatable v.4.1 for existing v.4.0 owners. Is this type of delay reasonable or is Alsoft playing some unexplainable game here?
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

David Lee
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2008, 12:55 AM

Alsoft is definitely playing a game here, but it is certainly not "unexplainable." They refused by request for the upgraded application (I am a paid owner of version 4.0) saying they can't send that to me, and the upgraded CD, which takes time to develop, will be available soon. That upgrade was announced on 1/21/08 and that was almost two months ago. Sound like "soon" to you? OF course they could make 4.1 available for download to registered users of 4.0, but they won't because many people will pop for the upgraded CD, and in the meantime that can add up to a sizable chunk of money. I do not know the law regarding this issue but it seems like there may be grounds for a class action suit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules