Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Develop Menu (Removing Apps From It)

Safari Develop Menu (Removing Apps From It)
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 01:59 AM

Is there a way to remove apps from the Safari Develop Menu? I'm talking about the "Open Page With" submenu. Problem is, I have four virtual machines in parallels, and copies of those four virtual machines in vmware. Those machines are web test beds, so all they have installed are web browsers. 4 or 5 for each virtual machine. Somehow, all of these windows apps are now showing up in my Open Page With submenu. This is no doubt, part of the way VMWare and Parallels are trying to make your life easier. But one thing i've discovered about both of those apps, is that they are both designed for use with ONE virtual machine. If you use multiple machines, they really make things more complicated.

Here is a screen shot of my Open Page With submenu. This isn't the whole menu. The whole menu is about 3x as large as what will fit on the screen. I've looked in the prefs of both VM apps to see if there was a preferences setting to prevent this, but I didn't see anything that looked related :/

ibook_steve
Apr 19, 2012, 02:02 PM

In Parallels, at least, you have to turn off Windows application sharing.

In the VM configuration, under Applications, turn off "Share Windows applications with Mac".

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 03:45 PM

The problem with that, is that I didn't like Parallels, so I've already deleted all of my Windows VMs in parallels. But my Safari menu is still chalk-full of WIndows apps via Parallels

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 07:56 AM

So all of the parallels apps magically went away, all by themselves.
The VMWare apps are still there. I'd like to get rid of them too, but at least now I don't have to scroll through the menu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules