Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lion Mail frustration

Lion Mail frustration
NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2012, 11:09 AM

Ever since I upgraded to Lion from SN, I have had problems with Lion Mail app.

At first, it couldn't find my messages so I learned about rebuilding the mailboxes and it helped.

Then I lost about 600 messages from Sent of one of my two accounts (not all sent emails were gone but about 600). I restored them from Time Machine and blamed my two year old.

Now again, I cannot find the darn message and I know it is there as I had to manually scroll through to find it. I ran "Rebuild" but it didn't do a thing. I removed Envelop Index from ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData but even after indexing the search still doesn't work!

If I use token "From:" and "company.com" it finds it but not if I am looking for just "company". This drives me nuts to the point that I am ready to smash my MBP to smithereens.

I've had a few failed searches in the past that I cannot remember of but I know it took me extra time to locate the messages. I'm trying to get used to the way Apple rethought I have to use my Mail now but sometimes I just don't have that kind of time.

Q1. Will anything change in ML Mail?
Q2. I use Thunderbird for my personal accounts and don't want to mix work and home (sometime I accidentally send emails from the wrong accounts). Can I have 2 Thunderbird apps running at the same time on one machine?

Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2012, 11:52 AM

My Mail client searches find in Lion, I'm not sure its a design decision so much as a bug or a glitch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules