Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > random sleep lockups

random sleep lockups
rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 11:32 PM

completely randomly, if i put my computer to sleep sometimes it will do a major lockup on me. the screen is totally static, i cant even move the mouse. reminds me of windows, except worse.

EDIT: any ideas? sorry, not thinking straight.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 15, 2004, 02:24 PM

Not being able to move the mouse in OS X is a REALLY BAD THING. This usually points towards hardware.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

rag on a muffin  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Not being able to move the mouse in OS X is a REALLY BAD THING. This usually points towards hardware.
just great. all i need is more hardware problems. i think its software though. i havent had the lockups when thermographx is quit.

reneb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 01:34 PM

Have you recently installed RAM ? Perhaps your lockups are due to incompatible or defective RAM installation.

rag on a muffin  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 08:15 PM

nope, not ram. had the ram for a while. it hasnt happened as often as it used to, used to be every 2 times i wake it up from sleep

KidKit
Forum Regular
May 17, 2004, 12:03 AM

Can you replicate the problem consistently? If so, you might be able to identify if your software is indeed the culprit. Have you tried the usual repair and permission stuff under diskutility, resetting PRAM etc?

You can also try to replicate the problem on a newly created user account. If its only your usual working account that is affected, it might point to a messed up preference file somewhere, also try deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist - That helped me when my RevB got insomnia and refused to go to sleep by itself.

Good luck!

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 02:19 AM

I'm confident this is an issue with ThermographX.

Whenever I leave ThermographX open on my 17" PowerBook dies when it comes out of sleep. I've just stopped leaving ThermographX open and no problems since...

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 08:03 AM

it would make sense because getting access to the temp is probably a reasonably low level hardware activity.

one other thing - on my pismo, i get a blank black screen but other than that nothing when I put it to sleep (sometimes). No flashing sleep light, no hard drive spin down. if i leave it for 30 secs, it does go to sleep.
(not saying that's what you're experiencing, but it's worth bearing in mind)

-- james

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 09:00 AM

I've had what I believe to be RAM-related Sleep issues with a 12" PowerBook. Removing a 512 MB RAM chip solved the problem. I've so far been too lazy to send it in and get it swapped for another chip, but will get around to it someday.

Here's more on my ordeal.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Big Fat Al:
I'm confident this is an issue with ThermographX.

Whenever I leave ThermographX open on my 17" PowerBook dies when it comes out of sleep. I've just stopped leaving ThermographX open and no problems since...
I'm using ThermographX on my 15" aluminum, and so far no issues.

On occasion though, my audio won't work after waking it up, but a restart fixes that.
I gotta have more cowbell.

KidKit
Forum Regular
May 17, 2004, 05:46 PM

sounds like a lot of issues with thermographX ... why not just use another program, I'm not familiar, but there should be other options out there... ie temperature monitor?

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 17, 2004, 05:51 PM

Temperature Monitor is soo the money (a la Trent from Swingers). I used Thermograph once and found it full of features I didn't need, jeez...just show me how how my computer is dammit.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Basilisk
Forum Regular
May 17, 2004, 06:30 PM

Big Fat Al,

Are you using SideTrack when the ThermographX lockups happened? I'm aware of an issue, and I'm wondering if its just SideTrack + ThermographX or if it happens with ThermographX alone.

Thanks,

Alex

rag on a muffin  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 07:35 PM

well i had side track for a while, but i couldnt get used to it, so i uninstalled it. but the lockups have happened before that.

i cant replicate the problem consistantly, but it doesnt happen that often anymore. would their be a log file for this?

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Basilisk:
Big Fat Al,

Are you using SideTrack when the ThermographX lockups happened? I'm aware of an issue, and I'm wondering if its just SideTrack + ThermographX or if it happens with ThermographX alone.

Thanks,

Alex
Yes I was using SideTrack when ThermographX locked up. I haven't tried ThermographX without SideTrack so maybe that's the problem.

Anyway SideTrack is much more important to me than ThermographX...

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

I have noticed that my random sleep lock ups happen when i let the computer go to sleep automatically, or when i close the powerbook without putting it to sleep first. usually never when i select sleep. hmmm. what does that mean?

my lock-ups are more black screens in which there is no pulsing light and the computer seems like it is functioning and awake other than a black screen in which you cannot revive unless you power down.

Basilisk
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 02:27 PM

Yes I was using SideTrack when ThermographX locked up. I haven't tried ThermographX without SideTrack so maybe that's the problem.
I was afraid of that... I've had little luck getting ThermographX's author to help me isolate the problem. I'm afraid its going to be like this till I get some help from him.

Alex

Forum Links
Forum Rules