Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Compromising Emanations" - Computer Security News for the Paranoid

"Compromising Emanations" - Computer Security News for the Paranoid
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:14 PM

Interesting article. I guess I never really thought about it, but it seems that keyboard clicks, stray RF emissions and even the blinking LED on your external HD may be telling people more than you'd think about what you're doing on your computer.

Using less than $200 worth of equipment, Dmitri Asonov and Rakesh Agrawal, computer scientists with IBM's Almaden Research Center in California, figured out how to translate clicks made by a computer keyboard into the letters on keys that made them.
Not really much of a threat, but interesting.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

Good find. Compelling article, I plan on disseminating this to my geek-drone friends.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

I'm retrofitting a tin foil hat for my keyboard...

Ahhhh... I feel safer now!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:14 PM

I just covered mine in Velveeta. They can't listen if they can't hear it!! mmmmm cheese.....

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 02:10 PM

This outta do the trick...

yukon
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 03:01 AM

Oh, van eck phreaking, as it's known by...people...who know about it....anyway, yeah, and old trick. You can pick up what the computer is doing etc, you can pick up a CRT's signal from a kilometer away. Supposedly used to nab a double agent in the CIA a while back, supposedly something placed inside the computer that picked up and retransmitted weaker signals. Signals from a single computer are easy to pinpoint supposedly due to interference signatures.

Search out "Tempest" specifications for info. Basically, use shielded cables, make sure there are no unobstructed holes in your computer case (fan grills are fine)....use steel when possible.....surrounding yourself in a steel mesh or even thick steel walls, that absorbs both the RFI and EMI. Use a UPS to filter out interference and prevent sending any back to the grid. If anything, just put a few cores on your cables that lack them.

If anyone knows where to buy shielded computer power cords, I'd appreciate it....took one apart, no shielding at all (not even a twist), and I can detect lots of interference next to the cables.

edit: put some music on, some sound absorbing material in the keyboard, seal it with caulking....it shouldn't be too difficult to kill detection by sound.
( Last edited by yukon; Jul 20, 2004 at 03:21 AM. )
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules