Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tracking Intranet traffic?

Tracking Intranet traffic?
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 04:08 PM

I work on our intranet at my office. I would say I'm the admin, but the truth is that I'm just the guy who inhereted a copy of Dreamweaver 3 and FTP access.

I'd love to track the usage of the site -- figure out which parts employees are hitting the most so I know where to best spend my dwindling engery. My question is this...is there a way beside a hit counter that I can track usage? I don't want a hit counter on the page because I don't want employees to become too self-conscience about their visits. But outside of a little javascript here and there, I can't add too much else.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2005, 05:25 AM

Do you have access to the server software? Which platform/webserver are you running?

If you have 'admin' status then it would be prudent to look at some web log analyser software that allows you to measure/filter website logs with a high degree of control. Then you can more accurately track your visitors.

Finding out your platform is the first step before anyone can really advise on a good solution. Javascript 'hit' counters are pretty flimsy and non-representative of your 'real' traffic.

BTW, are you behind a proxy to access this webserver? This may also affect your solution.
Computer thez nohhh...

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2005, 06:15 AM

if you have PHP/MySQL access, you can just throw something like TrackPro, or something similar on there. it's just as easy as adding a line of code to each page. no tacky hit counter shows up on the page.

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 10:04 AM

Well, I'm an admin in name only. It's an Apache server, but I've just got FTP access, so my options are pretty limited. I guess it's time to make friends with the network guys.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules